Biggest Personal Eval Miss

Are we forgetting Graig Cooper? A five star at one point

Yea he killed me too... He ran totally different in his HS highlights than he did at UM

He had all types of moves and cuts in HS...Didn't see one here lol

He had all l kinds of moves here. He just forgot that eventually you have to run forward. Dancing in one spot may cause HS players in Memphis to fall down and plead mercy - ain't gonna happen in D-1.

Advertisement
As far as the last 10 years its by far Willie Williams and Marcus Forston. WW goes without saying.

Marcus Forston dominated his sophomore year and his junior year in HS. He dominated at every summer camp, dominated at the Army All American practices, and had a great senior year. (notice I said he didnt dominate) He half a$$ed it and that should have been a red flag. BUT he still was the best DT in the country. (over Omar Hunter who went to FLA) I thought he was a sure thing. Thought he and Arther Brown were gonna bring this defense back. Smh. What could have been I guess.

Advertisement
Correct. McCoy was always the better player but had a bad injury which led to Coop getting the spotlight.

McCoy broke his ankle during his senior year at Bishop McDevitt, not during his year at Milford. Injury shouldn't have played a role a whole year later, but couldn't really tell you.

2006 - Coming out of high school Lesean McCoy was the #5 rated RB and a 5 star. Graig Cooper coming out of high school was the #75th rated RB and a 3 star.

Halfway thru the season McCoy broke his ankle...a very serious ankle injury that was career threatening. He also did not qualify. They both went to prep. McCoy was still recovering from this serious injury in prep school...during that time the rankings reflected Coop as higher than McCoy. Shady was very limited in his carries that season and he ran tentatively.

2007 rankings had Coop as the #6 rated RB and a 5 star. They had Shady as the #7 rated RB and a 5 star.

These were Scout rankings.

Rivals was similar.

2006 McCoy - 4 star - #6 RB Coop - 3 star #27 RB
2007 McCoy - 4 star - #2 prep RB Coop - 5 star #1 prep RB

What's your source on the points I bolded?

It was well known to all who followed recruiting back then. I live in PA, only a few hours from where McCoy went to high school, so it was very well known around here. There was some concern that he might not return to 100% and not be able to cut and juke they way he did in HS. As we see in the NFL, that is not the case.

The injury did play a huge role in him taking a back seat to Cooper, but there was more than just that. McCoy had a lot of growing up to do, which he did, but it took him a semester. Here's an small portion of an article on Milford:

http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=876282

Chaplick offers similar praise for McCoy and Cooper.

McCoy's rise to stardom at Pittsburgh is particularly impressive because he came to Milford overweight and on crutches as he recovered from an ankle injury. Cooper actually rushed for more than twice as many yards as McCoy at Milford two years ago, though McCoy has developed into the more productive college player.

" 'Coop' came in, and he was healthy, ready to go and hungry," Chaplick said. "He was totally focused ? one of the most focused players I've ever had. He did everything academically and football-wise to get to Miami as fast as he could.

"LeSean had to play catch-up because he was so far behind because of his injury. After about one semester, he bought into everything and realized what he had to do. Most guys could have gone either way. He chose the right path, became a man, went to work and got it done."

That was the information I was looking for, thanks.

Advertisement
Marcus forston for me

Thought he'd be a sure fire stud and all pro down the line. Still not sure what went wrong

Worst one of all time was mike bakas's Charlie jones over Adrian Peterson Evans with mucho conviction. Lol

Advertisement
Back