Biggest/favorite message board overreaction

Advertisement
Let's have some fun on Spring Game Eve - what's your favorite non-game day board overreaction?

I'll start: this was years ago, pre-CIS I think. We had a walk-on TE catch like 6 balls for 100 yards in the spring game and everyone was sure (for like a day or two) he was gonna earn a a scholly and start. Spoiler alert - he didn't.
Anyone say Jerry Jeudy yet?

Advertisement
Let's have some fun on Spring Game Eve - what's your favorite non-game day board overreaction?

I'll start: this was years ago, pre-CIS I think. We had a walk-on TE catch like 6 balls for 100 yards in the spring game and everyone was sure (for like a day or two) he was gonna earn a a scholly and start. Spoiler alert - he didn't.

He was a friend of mine.

He had a pretty bad leg injury during fall camp and eventually transferred closer to home. IMO, he would have earned a scholarship eventually. He was legitimately good.

Advertisement
Gruden to the U. Players notified
Gotta agree.

2522658B-9D78-4CBB-9DE5-D59551CBBBD2.jpeg

I remember a thread about "what's your 40 time" I remember thinking as a collective group 40 times better than 50% of the skill players in the NFL.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We can be forgiven for that one. 5 star recruit from a top 5 program who looked good in limited reps there.

If that allows you to feel better about it then run with it.

But sorry some things really just can't be justified. It was just hokie. With just a little research you'd know he was never a 5 star rated as a QB in any of the major ratings ( He was rated 4 star by them).

That being said, for the most part, even the major ratings are poor predictors of future performance. It depends on where you go and how much effort you're willing to put forth and your competitors.

2nd Playing at garbage time against a team's second string that you're already beating 54-0 isn't telling you ANYTHING of any importance about a player's skills.

3rd After vowing to fight to the death to start. oSU coaches flat out told him when Fields transferred from UGA that they didn't feel he had what it took to EVER start at oSU. Leading to the transfer.

Anyway, let's not try to relive that crazy time. I know the dream died hard for some but he was given EVERY opportunity to succeed at oSU and here. The end result speaks for itself.

Was it worth the risk? ....Meh ...it didn't cost us anything so sure

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back