Big O

I think the negativity and low expectations plays into Al's hands. After a few years of underachieving a decent season may appear like a great coaching effort. I think this team will surprise this year but only because the bar is so low.

If I thought C A G actually gave a **** about coaching football, I would agree with that, but this guy is clearly stealing paychecks at this point, and is probably hoping that he gets fired so he doesn't even have to show up to Hecht and media day and JRS and other things he abhors while still cashing those checks. This guy just doesn't give a crap, and its obvious.

Advertisement
FSU and others ran formations like ours against GT but they didnt look like that in the goal line idk what the **** is happening there

My take after listening:
1. Golden knows the heat is on, you can hear that in his voice

I actually thought he sound rejuvenated then the interview started. first time in a while he talked about wanting to be here long term.

2. This was a typical Golden interview. He is always going to sound positive. That is what a head coach does. Not sure what you guys are looking for when he answers these questions.
3. Golden knows they screwed the pooch in the GT game. That 4th down play was a microcosm of a failed game plan. But very few coaches are going to admit that and especially one on the hot seat. Again, I am not sure what you guys think he is going to say.

yeah he did lol

4. The Defense will be better this year. I do trust him on that. However this defense should be elite by now. That I do not think is going to happen.

i have spoken to players. they claim changes made but they are not allowed to talk to public about it.

5. Good to see Golden is finally admitting, sort of, that they missed the boat on South Florida kids and that is being corrected.

A top south florida football guy told me a few months back firing franklin and williams would be a very positive start. Carroll
can't coach but was apparently well liked.

6. We have serious concerns at the skill positions on O. The fact that Golden would not immediately name a player that would be the new Dorsett or Walford concerns me.

he seemed to name Coley right away.

7. Interesting that Golden said he did not know why players have taken it upon themselves to be more dedicated this year. A perfect time for Golden to preach his normal process and building blocks speeches. Yet he simply said he did not know. Not sure at all what to take from that. Could be a positive thing in that players are finally buying in to what Golden is preaching and for some reason Golden does not want to take credit. It could also mean that the players have taken the stance that we need to coach ourselves because this staff is not going to lead us where we want to go. Maybe I am reading way too much into that but is interesting and mysterious at the very least.

this was interesting but I feel like Brad Kaaya almost reminds me of Derek Jeter in a way. Like kids want to follow him. Recruits always talk about him.

I agree that overall Golden was upbeat and positive. It was encouraging that he seems rejuvenated and wants to be here long term. He talked about building a program that is elite for the long haul. He has not talked about that recently. But there were moments you could tell he knows the heat is on, which is a good thing. This means the AD is engaged.

I thought he talked about Coley once they asked him about him. Might be wrong but when they asked about potential playmakers that could take over he immediately started talking about the TE position. He also barely mentioned Scott which I was surprised by.

All these coaches always put a positive spin on their teams, the only one who really doesnt do it is spurrier which its always funny to hear him talk, jimbo was trying to make it seem all was fine and dandy in FSU land when it aint

he brought up scott and berries fairly quick.

Advertisement
noticed the name chad thomas didnt come up much

Because he's too good and will make too many plays.

The fact that hes listed with an OR on the depth chart w/ the legendary Jelani Hamilton should tell you all you need to know..probably not trusting the process.

I remember when Edgerrin James was listed behind the immortal Dyril McMillan. Just because a guy wears a whistle around his neck and people refer to him as coach doesn't mean he's infallible. And given that we are talking about C A G and his staph, I'm more skeptical about their evaluations.

Advertisement
My take after listening:
1. Golden knows the heat is on, you can hear that in his voice

I actually thought he sound rejuvenated then the interview started. first time in a while he talked about wanting to be here long term.

2. This was a typical Golden interview. He is always going to sound positive. That is what a head coach does. Not sure what you guys are looking for when he answers these questions.
3. Golden knows they screwed the pooch in the GT game. That 4th down play was a microcosm of a failed game plan. But very few coaches are going to admit that and especially one on the hot seat. Again, I am not sure what you guys think he is going to say.

yeah he did lol

4. The Defense will be better this year. I do trust him on that. However this defense should be elite by now. That I do not think is going to happen.

i have spoken to players. they claim changes made but they are not allowed to talk to public about it.

5. Good to see Golden is finally admitting, sort of, that they missed the boat on South Florida kids and that is being corrected.

A top south florida football guy told me a few months back firing franklin and williams would be a very positive start. Carroll
can't coach but was apparently well liked.

6. We have serious concerns at the skill positions on O. The fact that Golden would not immediately name a player that would be the new Dorsett or Walford concerns me.

he seemed to name Coley right away.

7. Interesting that Golden said he did not know why players have taken it upon themselves to be more dedicated this year. A perfect time for Golden to preach his normal process and building blocks speeches. Yet he simply said he did not know. Not sure at all what to take from that. Could be a positive thing in that players are finally buying in to what Golden is preaching and for some reason Golden does not want to take credit. It could also mean that the players have taken the stance that we need to coach ourselves because this staff is not going to lead us where we want to go. Maybe I am reading way too much into that but is interesting and mysterious at the very least.

this was interesting but I feel like Brad Kaaya almost reminds me of Derek Jeter in a way. Like kids want to follow him. Recruits always talk about him.

I agree that overall Golden was upbeat and positive. It was encouraging that he seems rejuvenated and wants to be here long term. He talked about building a program that is elite for the long haul. He has not talked about that recently. But there were moments you could tell he knows the heat is on, which is a good thing. This means the AD is engaged.

I thought he talked about Coley once they asked him about him. Might be wrong but when they asked about potential playmakers that could take over he immediately started talking about the TE position. He also barely mentioned Scott which I was surprised by.

No.

Don't confuse wanting to stay here for the long haul, and building a program for the long haul with - desperation.

He talked about not wanting to deal with the limitations of "five-year" blocks of time! Seriously?

He's not going to get another five years!

And the heat doesn't mean our half-assed AD is "engaged." Engaged in what? We suk! How engaged do you have to be to realize we suk?

I've never seen so much dancing around questions, deflecting the questions by addressing other things he wanted to talk about, and cobbling together confusing connections where none exist.

That was the very first time anyone has addressed the obvious.

And Golden couldn't answer the questions.

in fairness to golden i got his point on pitt & UVA. Boise and TCU dont have most talent but are better teams than most they play.

Loading up on 3 and 4-star kids from Texas is going to win you a lot of games, recruiting class rankings be damned. And BSU has a bigger margin of error than most, playing against a lot of much less talented teams. At any rate, both of those programs have pretty good talent, especially TCU, and they get superior coaching, which is a great combo.

AG has dropped the ball on local recruiting so hard, we're probably at or below TCU's talent level right now.

in fairness to golden i got his point on pitt & UVA. Boise and TCU dont have most talent but are better teams than most they play.

Loading up on 3 and 4-star kids from Texas is going to win you a lot of games, recruiting class rankings be damned. And BSU has a bigger margin of error than most, playing against a lot of much less talented teams. At any rate, both of those programs have pretty good talent, especially TCU, and they get superior coaching, which is a great combo.

AG has dropped the ball on local recruiting so hard, we're probably at or below TCU's talent level right now.

Not according to NFL people.

Wow... Big O **** all over Al! First time Al couldn't come up with an excuse and really came across as a condescending bumbling prick. Loved every second of it. Props to Big O!

Let me guess. You left your Ipad logged on to CIS and your wife posted this.

CD, we all handle adversity and disillusionment differently. While I hate what is going on with my Canes and place (and have always placed) the target firmly on Golden's back, I am not a weeping little cvnt like you and some others on this board. The fact that you cry about your hurt feelings daily are an indicator of how miserable your life is. I'm gonna guess that you have a terrible/no job, no family and very little to show for in life. Fvck, that sucks man and I feel bad for you. If you just quit being a little ***** about everything and took some accountability for your personal shortcomings you wouldn't struggle so badly to simply fill the gas tank of your **** car.

Now, if you could go back and search my entire archive and find me singing Golden's praises once please post it. I mean, what else are you going to do til the end of the month?

Advertisement

The NFL draft says otherwise. Texas talent is good, but it's not South Florida good. Among others, TCU needs to deal with Texas, TAMU, OU, and Baylor. It's a much different situation at Miami. We still get local guys, we just miss out on some elite ones. TCU benefits from the best coaching in the NCAA. Gary Patterson needs to be considered along with Meyer, Saban, or whoever you want to place in the upper echelon of pure coaching ability. On another note, Big 12 coaching in general is traditionally above average. You generally see a lot of innovation coming from that part of the country.

If you look closely, GT is using 31 personnel (you usually see them in 30) and they're lined up in a tackle over formation. By formation they are extremely run heavy to the top of the screen. Unless they reported the tackle eligible, they have one less player available for a pass play.

Correct on 31 personnel, but it's actually a balanced formation ...the end man on the right is eligible. What you don't see in that pic, is there's a SE lined up to the left.

[TWEET]623802264835092481[/TWEET]

I was at both of those games, and when he said that, I was beside myself. That wasn't a "variance", that's a 7 man front that stopped them one year, and a four man that got embarrassed this past season. I agree with O, I don't get it either, maybe I missed something too.

I'm not defending anyone here, but you misunderstood him, which explains your outrage. He talked about having one defense that we play against option teams. That defense changes depending on what variance is showed to us from the other team.

The philosophy of every option team is that they want to run triple every single play, out of their standard formation--which is usually a loose double wing formation (pictured to the left). They do things throughout the game in order to get it working. Those things that they do are referred to as variances. Those variances include nontraditional formations, like the one pictured to the right. If you look closely, GT is using 31 personnel (you usually see them in 30) and they're lined up in a tackle over formation. By formation they are extremely run heavy to the top of the screen. Unless they reported the tackle eligible, they have one less player available for a pass play. Other variances include different blocking schemes in order to run triple (usually defined by formation) or different blocking schemes in order to run double options or counters. Every variance for a team like GT is and answer to the other team stopping their original goal which was stated above.

Considering the above: that defense that we run one time per year is built in with alignment checks. We make automatic adjustments when we encounter unbalanced formations, tackle over formations where one less player is eligible, heavy formations, etc. The option team's variance to their base play/formation (stated above) is what determines how we line up.

Now, did we execute properly? I have no idea. I don't know what our rules are. Was the result favorable? No. We lost the game.

I will say one thing about these two formations. They are NOT the same. They are actually very different. When you're playing an option team, small details are what win the game. The formation to the left is perfectly balanced (one or their ultimate goals). They can get full flow to both sides of the field and hit 3 gaps on each side. The formation they employed to the right was in an effort to gain an extra big blocker to where the run ultimately went. They're trying to out smart us before the play starts. If the other team adjusts pre-snap (we did) then the play is generally thwarted before it begins.

Thanks for clearing that up. Just seeing DP 5+ yards off the line there had me scratching my head. That whole set up just seemed off to me. Then comparing it to the 2012 game, it hardly made sense to me.

Advertisement
If you look closely, GT is using 31 personnel (you usually see them in 30) and they're lined up in a tackle over formation. By formation they are extremely run heavy to the top of the screen. Unless they reported the tackle eligible, they have one less player available for a pass play.

Correct on 31 personnel, but it's actually a balanced formation ...the end man on the right is eligible. What you don't see in that pic, is there's a SE lined up to the left.

Never said unbalanced. Tackle over and unbalanced are two different things.

[T]hey're lined up in a tackle over formation... Unless they reported the tackle eligible, they have one less player available for a pass play.

That man up top would be eligible if he were wearing an eligible jersey number. The TE to the bottom (who is now playing tackle) is wearing an eligible number, but is covered up by that SE to the left, thus making him ineligible. It's a balanced formation, but still tackle over.

Talent to win in CFB doesn't use the same barometer as the NFL. You don't need 6-10 future NFL players to win the division in one of the weakest 'major' conferences. That we had such a fortuitous bounty of talent only serves to strengthen the next point: what's the point of having half a dozen guys drafted if they never played up to it while down here? Why do we have a DE dropping 25 lbs in 6 months to play in the NFL? Why are there half a dozen players lined up off the LOS in a goal line defense? Too many awful decisions from this staff that can't be overcome with all the talent in the world.

And TCU looks a helluva lot more skilled AND talented on both sides of the ball than we do, right now. They've developed their kids, changed the offensive system when it became clear they needed to adapt or die, and thus reap the rewards. What do we have? A bunch of hokey hashtags, goofball social media campaigns, and a head coach that can't handle pointed questioning from the first member of the media to display some testicular fortitude towards the program in South Florida since Neil Rogers died. It's like a bad joke where the punchline lasts for years and years.

Thanks for clearing that up. Just seeing DP 5+ yards off the line there had me scratching my head. That whole set up just seemed off to me. Then comparing it to the 2012 game, it hardly made sense to me.

No problem! That game was ****ed way before that play. They were having too much success on first and second down. We always need to get some no-gains or TFLs on 1st or 2nd in order to have a chance against those guys. We looked slow and unprepared. We didn't look confident all game. As to that play: if GT is confident in running triple out of that formation on the goal line, then we're royally ****ed. That means that they're rolling.

Op
[TWEET]623802264835092481[/TWEET]

I was at both of those games, and when he said that, I was beside myself. That wasn't a "variance", that's a 7 man front that stopped them one year, and a four man that got embarrassed this past season. I agree with O, I don't get it either, maybe I missed something too.
So what's Golden's reason
I'm not defending anyone here, but you misunderstood him, which explains your outrage. He talked about having one defense that we play against option teams. That defense changes depending on what variance is showed to us from the other team.

The philosophy of every option team is that they want to run triple every single play, out of their standard formation--which is usually a loose double wing formation (pictured to the left). They do things throughout the game in order to get it working. Those things that they do are referred to as variances. Those variances include nontraditional formations, like the one pictured to the right. If you look closely, GT is using 31 personnel (you usually see them in 30) and they're lined up in a tackle over formation. By formation they are extremely run heavy to the top of the screen. Unless they reported the tackle eligible, they have one less player available for a pass play. Other variances include different blocking schemes in order to run triple (usually defined by formation) or different blocking schemes in order to run double options or counters. Every variance for a team like GT is and answer to the other team stopping their original goal which was stated above.

Considering the above: that defense that we run one time per year is built in with alignment checks. We make automatic adjustments when we encounter unbalanced formations, tackle over formations where one less player is eligible, heavy formations, etc. The option team's variance to their base play/formation (stated above) is what determines how we line up.

Now, did we execute properly? I have no idea. I don't know what our rules are. Was the result favorable? No. We lost the game.

I will say one thing about these two formations. They are NOT the same. They are actually very different. When you're playing an option team, small details are what win the game. The formation to the left is perfectly balanced (one or their ultimate goals). They can get full flow to both sides of the field and hit 3 gaps on each side. The formation they employed to the right was in an effort to gain an extra big blocker to where the run ultimately went. They're trying to out smart us before the play starts. If the other team adjusts pre-snap (we did) then the play is generally thwarted before it begins.

So what's Golden's reason for playing a 1 tech and 3 tech on the strongside A gap on the right and just a 4tech on the guard with the other tackle playing a 3 tech on the wide side guard with both lineman having responsibility for both A and B gaps on the left? On the goal line. Terrible coaching.

Advertisement
Back