Big O

I was at both of those games, and when he said that, I was beside myself. That wasn't a "variance", that's a 7 man front that stopped them one year, and a four man that got embarrassed this past season. I agree with O, I don't get it either, maybe I missed something too.

I'm not defending anyone here, but you misunderstood him, which explains your outrage. He talked about having one defense that we play against option teams. That defense changes depending on what variance is showed to us from the other team.

The philosophy of every option team is that they want to run triple every single play, out of their standard formation--which is usually a loose double wing formation (pictured to the left). They do things throughout the game in order to get it working. Those things that they do are referred to as variances. Those variances include nontraditional formations, like the one pictured to the right. If you look closely, GT is using 31 personnel (you usually see them in 30) and they're lined up in a tackle over formation. By formation they are extremely run heavy to the top of the screen. Unless they reported the tackle eligible, they have one less player available for a pass play. Other variances include different blocking schemes in order to run triple (usually defined by formation) or different blocking schemes in order to run double options or counters. Every variance for a team like GT is and answer to the other team stopping their original goal which was stated above.

Considering the above: that defense that we run one time per year is built in with alignment checks. We make automatic adjustments when we encounter unbalanced formations, tackle over formations where one less player is eligible, heavy formations, etc. The option team's variance to their base play/formation (stated above) is what determines how we line up.

Now, did we execute properly? I have no idea. I don't know what our rules are. Was the result favorable? No. We lost the game.

I will say one thing about these two formations. They are NOT the same. They are actually very different. When you're playing an option team, small details are what win the game. The formation to the left is perfectly balanced (one or their ultimate goals). They can get full flow to both sides of the field and hit 3 gaps on each side. The formation they employed to the right was in an effort to gain an extra big blocker to where the run ultimately went. They're trying to out smart us before the play starts. If the other team adjusts pre-snap (we did) then the play is generally thwarted before it begins.

i wish we had more of this and less of the b!itching. golden's a good guy but he fails as a head coach. we know that. d'onofrio is even worse.

Why is he a good guy?

[MENTION=2315]Torocane[/MENTION]: THIS x 1000!!!!

I really need someone to answer that question; why is he a good guy? Is it b/c he "stuck" w/ us during the NCAA investigation or is it when he tried to low key bounce from the program leaving our 2014 recruiting class in limbo? Or is it b/c he is holding the University hostage by not making any adjustments both on and off the field, and are literally daring them to fire him vs. hitting the high road.

Seriously, what makes him such a good guy? B/c he ran on the field to hug his player in front of the cameras or is it b/c he constantly throw these same "loved" players under the bus when his scheme and coaching are called into question?

Some of you guys need to wake up and stop being blinded by his articulate speech. He's done less w/ more, and has constantly placed the blame upon any and everyone except him and his pals. He's blamed the school for being "blind-sided", he's blamed the NCAA for being on "probation", he's blamed the players for "free-lancing", he's blamed YouTube and Joey Z for the Raising Canes series, he's blamed ESPN for too many night games, he's blamed GOD for too much wind...so again, what makes Alfred Golden such a good guy?

He is incapable of holding himself accountable. Not a quality I whould associate with being a good guy.

Advertisement
lol that was great. really put Golden's defensive philosophy under a microscope. don't fill the box on a goal line play against a run heavy team bc it worked a year ago out of a different formation??? in what universe does if ever make sense to call that formation? I

Golden is so full of ****. Here is the play he is referring to. Skip to 34:21. Nothing like the formation from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCeMf1wMMYg

Compare that to this trainwreck. Skip to 1:19 and 1:27. I hate this man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7g9e2Rhys

Who was #44 in the 2012 game. Some Johnson guy who made the tackle. Clearly he was not on the same page as Al because he crossed the LOS instead of waiting for a fumble.

In fairness to Golden lol he is the reason we lost to UVA & Pitt.....it's called Coaching nycane **** your boy didn't tell you that.....

I think the negativity and low expectations plays into Al's hands. After a few years of underachieving a decent season may appear like a great coaching effort. I think this team will surprise this year but only because the bar is so low.

If I thought C A G actually gave a **** about coaching football, I would agree with that, but this guy is clearly stealing paychecks at this point, and is probably hoping that he gets fired so he doesn't even have to show up to Hecht and media day and JRS and other things he abhors while still cashing those checks. This guy just doesn't give a crap, and its obvious.

I don't think it is that bad. If what you say is true then he is pretty much on career suicide watch. I think what you sense is that he doesn't care about fan and media opinion (or at least pretend as if). I'd bet he still cares about building his resume. I think he still wants to build a good product and still believes in what he's doing.

I think the negativity and low expectations plays into Al's hands. After a few years of underachieving a decent season may appear like a great coaching effort. I think this team will surprise this year but only because the bar is so low.

If I thought C A G actually gave a **** about coaching football, I would agree with that, but this guy is clearly stealing paychecks at this point, and is probably hoping that he gets fired so he doesn't even have to show up to Hecht and media day and JRS and other things he abhors while still cashing those checks. This guy just doesn't give a crap, and its obvious.

I don't think it is that bad. If what you say is true then he is pretty much on career suicide watch. I think what you sense is that he doesn't care about fan and media opinion (or at least pretend as if). I'd bet he still cares about building his resume. I think he still wants to build a good product and still believes in what he's doing.

his career as a headcoach for any power 5 team is probably over as soon as he is fired here. his alma mater didn't want him. didn't seem like pitt or wisconsin were interested and i believe he had his people reach out to them. the guy is finished in big time football as a head coach. at

Advertisement

his career as a headcoach for any power 5 team is probably over as soon as he is fired here. his alma mater didn't want him. didn't seem like pitt or wisconsin were interested and i believe he had his people reach out to them. the guy is finished in big time football as a head coach. at

this place used to be a springboard to the NFL for head coaches, now its start up programs or college position coach

Yep. Miami.....it's a high risk high reward job. You succeed and national championships and nfl riches await you. You fail and your career is in ruins. There's no in between. Look at the failures: Larry Coker was unemployed for 5 full years after his departure. When he finally landed a job it was at UTSA, a brand new program. Shannon couldn't even land a DC job after being fired and he's actually a really good dc. Nobody seemed to care. Golden's up next and wherever he lands, history has shown that it will be a ****** job.

Wow... Big O **** all over Al! First time Al couldn't come up with an excuse and really came across as a condescending bumbling prick. Loved every second of it. Props to Big O!

Let me guess. You left your Ipad logged on to CIS and your wife posted this.

CD, we all handle adversity and disillusionment differently. While I hate what is going on with my Canes and place (and have always placed) the target firmly on Golden's back, I am not a weeping little cvnt like you and some others on this board. The fact that you cry about your hurt feelings daily are an indicator of how miserable your life is. I'm gonna guess that you have a terrible/no job, no family and very little to show for in life. Fvck, that sucks man and I feel bad for you. If you just quit being a little ***** about everything and took some accountability for your personal shortcomings you wouldn't struggle so badly to simply fill the gas tank of your **** car.

Now, if you could go back and search my entire archive and find me singing Golden's praises once please post it. I mean, what else are you going to do til the end of the month?

Touched a special spot with my comment did I? :fap:

Douche'!

Not at all. I'm just asking you to find a post where I supported Golden.

Advertisement
Wow... Big O **** all over Al! First time Al couldn't come up with an excuse and really came across as a condescending bumbling prick. Loved every second of it. Props to Big O!

Let me guess. You left your Ipad logged on to CIS and your wife posted this.

CD, we all handle adversity and disillusionment differently. While I hate what is going on with my Canes and place (and have always placed) the target firmly on Golden's back, I am not a weeping little cvnt like you and some others on this board. The fact that you cry about your hurt feelings daily are an indicator of how miserable your life is. I'm gonna guess that you have a terrible/no job, no family and very little to show for in life. Fvck, that sucks man and I feel bad for you. If you just quit being a little ***** about everything and took some accountability for your personal shortcomings you wouldn't struggle so badly to simply fill the gas tank of your **** car.

Now, if you could go back and search my entire archive and find me singing Golden's praises once please post it. I mean, what else are you going to do til the end of the month?

Touched a special spot with my comment did I? :fap:

Douche'!

Not at all. I'm just asking you to find a post where I supported Golden.

Settle down chump, you already blew the load on this one.

Yep. Miami.....it's a high risk high reward job. You succeed and national championships and nfl riches await you. You fail and your career is in ruins. There's no in between. Look at the failures: Larry Coker was unemployed for 5 full years after his departure. When he finally landed a job it was at UTSA, a brand new program. Shannon couldn't even land a DC job after being fired and he's actually a really good dc. Nobody seemed to care. Golden's up next and wherever he lands, history has shown that it will be a ****ty job.

Don't disagree which is why I think he has to care about still having success here. Like what's been said this could be a spring board for the big-time or the pit where careers die miserably.

Advertisement
[TWEET]623802264835092481[/TWEET]

it is the same with a variant

They have orange jersey. the variant is green helmets and pants.

Golden is once again correct

Trust the pillars

guysm its a variant of the same alignment. I swear

Not a defense at all, but count how many guys GT has on the line and how many were lined up out wide. It's different. Different formation for them. Different formation for us. Poor execution. TD.

Not a defense at all, but count how many guys GT has on the line and how many were lined up out wide. It's different. Different formation for them. Different formation for us. Poor execution. TD.

One. One guy. That's the difference. 6 guys on the line and 1 WR in '12, 5 guys on the line, 2WR in '14.

This is a team that runs the ball 95% of the time, when they need to get a half yard, what do you think they are going to do? If they want to get cute and pass, LET THEM. Especially with those scatter-armed, run-first QBs they roll out there. There is absolutely zero reason to have FOUR players in the middle of the end zone.

Advertisement
Guys- Paul Johnson gets paid to coach too. Lighten up.

Most or at least some know that but what people are mad is Tech is a run heavy team. On goaline Golden acted like he was facing any normal team. I think if Golden was selling out for the run and Tech still gets it or they give up a pass td then most or some wouldn't be mad.

What i liked most about this interview was that Big O didn't just say, "some people say they have lost faith"... like most press do.. pushing their opinion off on someone else.. O's like "man to man i lost faith in you".

When Golden was asked about that formation for the goal line play - you had to listen very carefully, but you could hear that squeek.

That was Golden's sphincter torquing shut to about 145 foot-pounds.

Sphincter torquing! LMAO! Now that's original! My only rebuttal to non-Canes this year is, "wait till our new coach comes in 2016, we'll see who's irrelevant has beens"

Advertisement
Back