Big O and Manny Navarro interview SIAP

Both agreed Manny is in basically over his head. Said he was never really revered or respected by the offense and they never really bought in. Said the next coach needs to one with proven HC success in Power 5 ball, and we need to get out of the habit of promoting coordinators...
Also made a good point about today’s athletes being millennials with a “me first” mentality focusing on individualism instead of team, and that manny fueled that mentality with the turnover chain and touchdown ring crap.

Diaz could've gotten some respect from the offense had he brought in an offensive coordinator that put those guys in a position to thrive.

Instead, he brought in Dan Enos—who by all accounts was an egotistical prick from the get-go—with nothing to back it up. The result was another year of incompetence on that side of the ball—and zero growth from the offensive line or three quarterbacks.

Striking out on the first go-around as a rookie head coach—it's only the end of the world if Diaz strikes out again a second time. Dude needs to do all he can to bring in a quality offensive mind, or he will completely lose this team in 2020 and be out of a job by 2021 (or 2022, the latest—if he saves himself with an 8-4 season, at worst.)

Advertisement
Blake is fired and replaced by Zo...that’s the only chance of it ever happening.

Alonzo Highsmith would never be the athletic director at Miami—so he wouldn't replace Blake James—as there are things an AD has to do and deal with that Highsmith wouldn't want any part of.

Virginia Tech just filled an Assistant Athletic Director —Chief of Staff & Football Operations role (Kevin Cristello, Coastal Carolina and Nebraska).

That is the type of role that makes sense for Highsmith—even one with more football juice, but not a full-blown AD as he isn't doing the fundraising and dog and pony tap-dancing that comes with the role.

O went on a tirade about our guys celebrating on the sidelines after that stupid *** PF on the return. Said JJ or Shnelly would’ve NEVER allowed players to do that crap on the sidelines esp while losing. Diazaster just looked the other way. These players we’re recruiting never grew up watching a winning Miami team. Everything is just folklore to them. No wonder they don’t have hesitations about going elsewhere

Diaz doesnt look thenother way. He encourages it. He even tracks how much celebrating they do.

Diaz has one thing going for him: he knows what the sucker fans love. He knows they think “swag” and “dancing” and “looking cool” is what made miami great. and he played that up to get a job he had no business getting, and the suckers fawned over him.

This team is in need of some serious tough love. Manny needed to kick one of the JAGs on the offensive side of the ball off the team early in the process to put some fear into these kids. You can set a tone of "we're going to have fun but we're not messing around". It's not too late for Manny, but he has no margin for error at this point. The issue is that potential OCs and the team know that he's close to a dead man walking.

This team is in need of some serious tough love. Manny needed to kick one of the JAGs on the offensive side of the ball off the team early in the process to put some fear into these kids. You can set a tone of "we're going to have fun but we're not messing around". It's not too late for Manny, but he has no margin for error at this point. The issue is that potential OCs and the team know that he's close to a dead man walking.

The JAG in chief is Diaz himself. He should kick himself out first so these kids can have a real leader.

Advertisement
I agree with everything in that interview, especially in regard to the insidious nature of Manny's jewelry gimmicks.

And Tate Martell is obviously not a D1 QB. They had it right the first time when they moved him to WR for 10 minutes.

The JAG in chief is Diaz himself. He should kick himself out first so these kids can have a real leader.
I don't disagree, but that's not happening before the 2020 so we need to look for actual solutions, not spend time pining for things that aren't going to happen.

I agree with everything in that interview, especially in regard to the insidious nature of Manny's jewelry gimmicks.

And Tate Martell is obviously not a D1 QB. They had it right the first time when they moved him to WR for 10 minutes.
This seems like a bit of revisionist history. When the chain came out EVERYONE loved it and all schools were copying it. I don't buy that the jewelry is remotely part of the issue. The issue is that the team's leadership, both from a coaching and player perspective, is weak so the incentive of the chain is a bad look. If the culture was right, the chain would be fine. That said, I think he needs to take them away to send the message that those types of incentives are rewards not just for being the closest one to a fumble but for contributing to the team's goals AND for creating a good outcome. The team's goals have to be the North Star, not having a good outcome on a single play regardless of the broader context of the game/team/season.

I remember watching a game in 99 in a sports bar where the commentator said about Miami “ did the winning lead to the swagger or did the swagger lead to the winning “.... as of late we’ve seen too much swagger. Let’s get back to winning

Advertisement
Shame we have a wimp/candya$$/pu$$y for a hc.next team meeting a good coach would tell the team especially the offensive side this.we are gonna find out who wants to be here and who doesn't you are going to work your a$$e$$ off .I see any b.s.,playing graba$$ or not giving your all into it pack your bags.

The opinions of two guys I don’t respect. Yay. Manny was contradicting himself. Need a special experienced coach to recruit So Fla. Manny ain’t that. He also says manny did a good job recruiting. Their big picture talk was just conclusory nonsense.

Miami’s top recruits this year where in all the magical O positions. QB, RB, LT and WR. Now, the BOT better be ready to almost equal manny’s salary on a real top level OC. Don’t **** around.

More like Clemson has a DC that pretty much runs the D and does it well. Flip it to the O. You get that done, you win and the recruiting is much easier.

All that said, I would have canned manny.

Advertisement
actually, 'chise, in point of fact: Mario left last time with golden's blessing. Bauxite Al told Mario it was a great opportunity and that there would always be a home for him at UM in the future. (Al never figured he would suck so badly).

when dipsh*t "blake the fake" james never even returned the call Mario's agent left for him to discuss the HC job when richt retired, Mario was f'ing furious. since he entered coaching, it's been the head coaching job he always wanted. he has zero interest in the NFL, by the way, and would be at UM for a decade and a half if he could.

all that being said, I just don't know how they can put together a scenario where Mario comes back. he's got a great thing going at Oregon, he likes it there, and is going to get paid big time. Mario's big thing by the way, is money for assistants. he's said as long as UM will commit to that, it's all in place for UM to win again.
Sounds like a lot of double talk, friend. Either he wants to come home or he doesn’t. He had one good year at Oregon and Eugene sucks. It’s not like he’s been there 20 years and is entrenched. If he loves his alma mater and city he’d come back. Otherwise, he’s just a four-flushing traitor.

This seems like a bit of revisionist history. When the chain came out EVERYONE loved it and all schools were copying it. I don't buy that the jewelry is remotely part of the issue. The issue is that the team's leadership, both from a coaching and player perspective, is weak so the incentive of the chain is a bad look. If the culture was right, the chain would be fine. That said, I think he needs to take them away to send the message that those types of incentives are rewards not just for being the closest one to a fumble but for contributing to the team's goals AND for creating a good outcome. The team's goals have to be the North Star, not having a good outcome on a single play regardless of the broader context of the game/team/season.

Manny complains about culture, and more than anyone is responsible for the current culture. It's a "look at me" culture. That might work when you're really good. When you suck it makes you look like a clown show. Then he doubled down with the TD knuckles for offensive players on this historically bad offense (because they need to be special too). Embarrassing.

Sounds like a lot of double talk, friend. Either he wants to come home or he doesn’t. He had one good year at Oregon and Eugene sucks. It’s not like he’s been there 20 years and is entrenched. If he loves his alma mater and city he’d come back. Otherwise, he’s just a four-flushing traitor.

i get it. people have a right to be jaded, mistrusting, and cynical. and you're as perceptive as anyone on here so it's more likely to hit you harder. i just hold out hope that he ends up back at UM, but at the end of the day, there's probably more going on that exceeds my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the finer details

Advertisement
O was sounding off on the kids for celebrating on the sideline after Couch laced the LaTech returner trying to field the punt. Like why the **** are you celebrating a 15 yard penalty while getting shutout by LaTech? That's part of culture and individualism Manny helped foster with the Turnover Chain and rings. Mentioned Bandy jawing too.

Manny mentioned how dejected the defensive players looked after the game, but the kids on O didnt seem bothered by any of it. Said Playmaker was outside the locker room basically in tears and there were players nearby who seemed oblivious to the fact they were just embarrassed by a G5 school.

Hard to disagree with any of it.
We had fans jumping up and down as well. I HATED that. How stupid can you be to celebrate a stupid play?

We had fans jumping up and down as well. I HATED that. How stupid can you be to celebrate a stupid play?

100% agree. I was flabbergasted that Jarren's irrelevant lateral was somehow receiving focus here while that moronic sideline reaction to the punt play was somehow ignored. Great job by Big O to restore clarity.

USC boards are complaining about the same type of thing. There was lots of ridiculous celebrating during the lopsided bowl defeat to Iowa. Somehow these kids are more than willing to ignore the bottom line if they think any type of big hit or pass breakup will be worthy of Twitter replay and brief adulation.

Weak coaches enable it. It's like wandering around drunk at a party. No concern about totality of 3 hours. No concern about being the butt of everyone else's jokes. Just give me those few bumps and feels and incoherent toasts and I'm good.

100% agree. I was flabbergasted that Jarren's irrelevant lateral was somehow receiving focus here while that moronic sideline reaction to the punt play was somehow ignored. Great job by Big O to restore clarity.

USC boards are complaining about the same type of thing. There was lots of ridiculous celebrating during the lopsided bowl defeat to Iowa. Somehow these kids are more than willing to ignore the bottom line if they think any type of big hit or pass breakup will be worthy of Twitter replay and brief adulation.

Weak coaches enable it. It's like wandering around drunk at a party. No concern about totality of 3 hours. No concern about being the butt of everyone else's jokes. Just give me those few bumps and feels and incoherent toasts and I'm good.
Brief adulation? You mean like a turnover chain or TD rings?

Manny needs to tell the players, "You want to wear rings? Win a **** championship."

I'm sick of this "look at ME" BS. Same with the dry erase board BS on the sidelines.

Advertisement
Back