Better Prospect: Brad Kaaya or Kevin Olsen

Advertisement
Kaaya and its not even close, Olsen is so mechanical. He reminds me of nick Montana when he came out of California. More hype than substance, he doesn't have a strong arm and from what I have seen on tape I think that both he and kaaya are equally accurate. The difference to me is that brad is so much smoother with everything that he does and he already has that cane swag. Also he is already 6'4" 220 lbs and will only get bigger and stronger before he gets to UM.

Kaaya and its not even close, Olsen is so mechanical. He reminds me of nick Montana when he came out of California. More hype than substance, he doesn't have a strong arm and from what I have seen on tape I think that both he and kaaya are equally accurate. The difference to me is that brad is so much smoother with everything that he does and he already has that cane swag. Also he is already 6'4" 220 lbs and will only get bigger and stronger before he gets to UM.

negged.

What a great discussion to be having. Who is our starting QB after the current one gets drafted in NFL? Is it a 6'6" former FL state champion 5th year senior with a bunch D1 starts, or Ellite 11 QB who is redshirting this year, or another Ellite 11 shooting star that everyone is wondering how the **** they missed him. The great news is that whoever starts, he will have beaten out two other really good QBs. Like when RS freshman Kosar beat out our first Heisman winner to win our first NC. Whoever wins will bring home the 6th, or maybe it will be the 7th, ring next year. Between the three there are at least 2 rings and a third Heisman. My opinion, is that things are looking good, very good.

I can tell you for a fact that's not the consensus down in Coral Gables. Coley thinks Olsen is a natural.

Edit: And I'm not implying that Coley thinks Olsen >> Kaya. Just passing along what was told to me about Coley's eval of Olsen to date.

Advertisement
I really really really look forward to having to moderate this very same discussion over and over for the next four years. :manicrolleyes:

You're asking all the same people who thought Dewey was the next great one (Ty Detmer approved!!) and that Crow should "have his scholarship pulled to make room for someone who will contribute." Same with guys who are starting like Gaines and Walford.

Also the same people who would have kicked Gino Toretta to the curb if there was a Rivals.com back then.

I am very excited to see what happens head to head on Greentree. Until then, its just sub-amateur speculation on kids that the best talent evaluators in the world hit about 50% on.

You're asking all the same people who thought Dewey was the next great one (Ty Detmer approved!!) and that Crow should "have his scholarship pulled to make room for someone who will contribute." Same with guys who are starting like Gaines and Walford.

Also the same people who would have kicked Gino Toretta to the curb if there was a Rivals.com back then.

I am very excited to see what happens head to head on Greentree. Until then, its just sub-amateur speculation on kids that the best talent evaluators in the world hit about 50% on.

i am going to go out on a limb here and say that about 99% of the posters on this board are not qualified to answer the OP's question at this time.

Advertisement
I remember one of the issues with Golden when he was originally hired was his inability to get a decent QB at Temple, and in back to back seasons he's probably recruited 2 of the best QBs we've gotten in a decade. Should be fantastic to watch these two compete going forward.

That might have been an "issue" with nitpickers. But there aren't any good QBs who want to go to Temple. Ever. Recruiting QBs to UM is easy if you're a good recruiter, and The Don is a great recruiter.

True, but the main point of that is Temple probably wins 10 games under Al if they had a competent QB to go along with their run game and defense, which goes more into evaluating than recruiting. It was just one of the primary notes on Golden issues at Temple from someone on their side of it, and even if it is UM, it's still not the easiest to get multiple high caliber QB commits.

I appreciate Temple fans' issues with The Don, but look at them now. They got a very inflated sense of their worth as a program BECAUSE OF The Don. Then, when the reason that they had their only surge ever left they felt like he wasn't really the reason that they almost became somewhat relevant. So, they nitpicked him. Fact is The Don has never had an issue evaluating or recruiting QBs. I'm sure he wanted some really good QBs while he was at Temple; they just didn't want to be there.

I remember one of the issues with Golden when he was originally hired was his inability to get a decent QB at Temple, and in back to back seasons he's probably recruited 2 of the best QBs we've gotten in a decade. Should be fantastic to watch these two compete going forward.

That might have been an "issue" with nitpickers. But there aren't any good QBs who want to go to Temple. Ever. Recruiting QBs to UM is easy if you're a good recruiter, and The Don is a great recruiter.

True, but the main point of that is Temple probably wins 10 games under Al if they had a competent QB to go along with their run game and defense, which goes more into evaluating than recruiting. It was just one of the primary notes on Golden issues at Temple from someone on their side of it, and even if it is UM, it's still not the easiest to get multiple high caliber QB commits.

I appreciate Temple fans' issues with The Don, but look at them now. They got a very inflated sense of their worth as a program BECAUSE OF The Don. Then, when the reason that they had their only surge ever left they felt like he wasn't really the reason that they almost became somewhat relevant. So, they nitpicked him. Fact is The Don has never had an issue evaluating or recruiting QBs. I'm sure he wanted some really good QBs while he was at Temple; they just didn't want to be there.

Without discounting the Temple critics of Golden, it's tough to not take a triage mentality when recruits don't just flock to you. At Miami, with his leadership and the right coaching staff, recruits have been consistently flowing on both sides of the ball. It's only a matter of time before they develop some serious talent at QB.

As for Olsen v. Kayaa (v. Williams), the funny thing about football is that kids progress differently. Even if you've found your guy, there is always the possibility of injury (whether season-ending or lingering. See Morris. I'm confident in Williams to continue to improve as he certainly seems to be taking advantage of the opportunity he has given. As for Olsen and Kayaa, I hope they both continue to work hard. Regardless of who wins, we're talking about a system QB who manages the team, not a super-stud who carries the team on his own back. Trust the tie!

negged.

I knew that was coming :ibisroflmao:

Wasn't fans, fact is Temples QBs sucked so it was a concern coming in, that's all.

Advertisement
Finding good/great QBs is difficult even for big schools look at Texas and their now 5years of failure and that's cause they have their choice of pretty much whoever in Texas . I could only imagine already being handicapped at temple trying to find the right guy who fits your scheme but the tougher part of just getting him to even consider going to what was and now is again a dumpster fire of temple

Why must we downplay our own players/recruits and pit them against each other and diminish their skills? Maybe I got bit by a ****** or something, but I think both guys are very talented and I can't wait for them to step out on the field and sort out who's better. People are crushing Olsen for the new, shiny toy and forgetting how talented he is.

Why must we downplay our own players/recruits and pit them against each other and diminish their skills? Maybe I got bit by a ****** or something, but I think both guys are very talented and I can't wait for them to step out on the field and sort out who's better. People are crushing Olsen for the new, shiny toy and forgetting how talented he is.

But he's 4 games into his redshirt season and HASN'T EVEN WON A HEISMAN YET. Obviously has no future here.

Advertisement

Agree with this.

You can find good QBs in the MAC, but they go to the more wide-open passing offenses.

Golden was all about ball control and pounding the rock, and why wouldn't you be with an NFL RB on the roster?

Corey Dowlar/ESPN ‏@cdowlar 3m
RT @JHopkins247: Just changed my Crystal Ball on #Miami commit Brad Kaaya to #UCLA - #Canes should be concerned IMO

Angela Means - Kaaya ‏@angela_means 52m Brad received offer from Mora today. UCLA is an awesome program that he respects, at this time he is committed 2 The University of Miami.

I still think Kaaya is all CANE

RT @JHopkins247: Just changed my Crystal Ball on #Miami commit Brad Kaaya to #UCLA - #Canes should be concerned IMO

Angela Means - Kaaya ‏@angela_means 52m Brad received offer from Mora today. UCLA is an awesome program that he respects, at this time he is committed 2 The University of Miami.

"At this time?"

That's annoying as ****.

"At this time?"

That's annoying as ****.

Agree 100% about the annoying part

Advertisement
Back