Best player ever from the U?

Advertisement
My favorite to watch was Michael Irvin, most dominate was Warren Sapp, best QB is a tossup but I liked Gino Toretta and Steve Walsh the most, GOAT was Sean Taylor hands down.

Had to edit since Daniel Stubbs was a favorite as well to watch plus Rusty Meaderis, not GOAT's but incredible to watch.

Last edited:
Canes from long ago who were elite. These are short films are from the NFL Top 100 players from a few years ago. The game has obviously changed a lot since that time. These guys played for the love of the game. They took an incredible beating.

Jim Otto

Ted Hendricks

Chuck Foreman (Topps Football Cards highlights; Chuck wasn't a top 100 NFL player, but he was a really good pro.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ted Hendricks was the most dominant Canes player I can remember. If you never saw him play, you really missed something. He was the best tackler I have ever seen. Teams would redirect their offensive plays away from him for entire games. After him, I wouls single oyt Reed, Taylor, McKinnie and Jerome Brown.

Hard to really top Ed Reed but ST is the only safety i've ever seen take over games all over the field. The FSU game in the rain was the best performance by DB you'll ever experience. The leadership, playmaking ability and instincts of Ed Reed were incredible though. You felt as though him and Dorsey were the leaders of the team finally making it back.

Advertisement
Reed was the best ball hawking safety ever. It was a truly a blessing to watch his career. Imo he’s the Miami goat. Not only his play at Miami but his “I’m hurt dawg” speech is one of the most iconic clips in football history and we don’t even have to speak on what he did in the nfl. He truly embodies what being a cane is all about and deeply loves the program
He also played for the 2 best teams ever (**** the Steelers).

Ted Hendricks is our only 3 time All American player.

Dan Morgan is our most awarded player.

Gino Torretta and Vinny Testaverde won college football's top award.

Michael Irvin personifies U Miami football in all the best and worst facets.

Ed Reed is the GOAT tho. Best defensive player I've ever seen (Hendricks was long before my time) He could do it all and was always the smartest guy on the field. ST was an all time great athlete but Ed Reed knew what the offense was doing before they even snapped the ball and it's why he was such an effective pro player well into his later years where most DBs fall off a cliff when their athleticism starts to fall off.

If you include NFL career, then Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Ted Hendricks, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, Jim Kelly, Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland, Vince Wilfork, Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Reggie Wayne, Devin Hester, Sean Taylor, Jerome Brown, Jon Vilma, Duane Starks, Bryant McKinnie, Santana Moss, Jessie Armstead, Greg Olsen, Brandon Meriweather, Phillip Buchanon, Andre Johnson, Clinton Portis, DJ Williams, Jon Beason, Willis McGahee, Antrel Rolle & Calais Campbell.

If you just count college careers, the list is even longer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Whoever your pick is for the greatest U player ever, it’s amazing we’ve had so many great ones at **** near every position on the field.

My grandfather went to school with Ted Hendricks at Hialeah.... the way he talks about him is crazy. Said he’s never seen anything like it, wish I was able to watch him play.

OK, first off, I'm going to say something that hurts me to say b/c of my affinity of ST26:
2003 BCS bowl game: If Ed Reed makes that same interception, he doesn't get stripped by Maurice Clarett.

This.

He would’ve shaken Clarett off and housed that thing just like he did to Derrick Knight up in Chestnut Hill. The game would’ve been over long before Terry Porter ever had a chance to pull his stupid stunt.

Advertisement
Ted Hendricks

-Born in Guatemala, raised in Miami Springs, went to Hialeah High
-Competed in discus and shot put in HS
-Raised bilingual, speaks fluent Spanish

-Honors student at UM, majored in Math, minored in Psych
-College freshmen were ineligible to play until 1968 (Ted's freshman year was 1965)
-Second team All-American as a sophomore (first year of playing)
-First team All-American as a junior and senior
-UPI Lineman of the Year as a senior
-Finished 5th in Heisman balloting as a senior (OJ Simpson won the Heisman)
-327 total tackles in 3 years (best all-time by a UM defensive lineman), recovered 12 fumbles in 3 years
-Caused 9 turnovers as a junior; had 4 sacks of Spurrier/The Gata as a senior

-Played standup DE in a 4-3 defense and LB in a 3-4 defense
-Played all 215 (consecutive) NFL regular season games over 15 years (started 200, Shula didn't start him in 6 games as a rookie, and Madden didn't start him for 9 games in his 1st year with Raiders due to Madden-Davis feud)
-Started in all 21 playoff appearances
-8 Pro Bowls (4x starter, 2x 2nd team), made the Pro Bowl in his 15th and final season
-First team NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
-First team NFL 1980s All-Decade Team (he only played 4 years, one strike-shortened, in the 1980s)
-NFL 75th Anniversary Team
-NFL 100th Anniversary Team
-4x Super Bowl Champ (1 with Colts, 3 with Raiders)
-25 blocked kicks (1 TD) in his NFL career, 26 Interceptions (1 TD), 16 Fumble recoveries (1 TD), 4 safeties

No one asked for my top 5 but here it is:
1. Ted Hendricks
2. Ed Reed
3. Jim Otto
4. Warren Sapp
5. Ray Lewis

Hon mention: EJ, Frank, Tez, Andre, Reggie, Devin, Otis, Chuck, Dennis Harrah, Vilma, Greg, Jimmy, Russell, Sean, JB, Vince, Jim Kelly

Encompasses collegiate and professional careers.
Edit: ******* forgot about Playmaker. This is too difficult

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back