Best passing defense in the country?

The only legitimate passing attack we have faced would be Toledo, surely didn't look good in that one. The rest are ground and pound or barely competent at best throwing the ball.

That's good though as I think it has allowed the secondary to come together while gaining confidence. The DL stepping up big time has also been a big plus making their coverage windows short.

Good, for sure. The best? Who knows and maybe, but our schedule has been kind to them.

Uhh.. Syracuse?

Advertisement
What pass defense is returning picks on the regular? Don't even think Bama is doing that this year.

Taking interceptions back for TDs are overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have when your defense is scoring TDs; but that shouldn't be the barometer of success. UF took back two TDs that I know of, and their defense is nowhere near the caliber of Miami's. The stats provided from the tweet that [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION] posted are the real barometer, and it says that we have one of the best pass defenses in the country.

The key has been the development of amari and derrick Smith and pairing them with redwine and JJ. It allows manny to run his defense like he did last year when he had rayshawn and JC

The only legitimate passing attack we have faced would be Toledo, surely didn't look good in that one. The rest are ground and pound or barely competent at best throwing the ball.

That's good though as I think it has allowed the secondary to come together while gaining confidence. The DL stepping up big time has also been a big plus making their coverage windows short.

Good, for sure. The best? Who knows and maybe, but our schedule has been kind to them.

We played Toledo after bit having played for three weeks.

Syracuse has a high powered passing game!

Exactly, look at that guy saying sh*t like Syracuse doesn’t have a high powered passing offense....

I admittedly forgot about Syracuse in that their offense is based more on a high volume of plays.

Team Rankings

Points per game:

Toledo - 24
Syracuse - 69

Pass yards per game:

Toledo - 20
Syracuse - 29

Completions per game:

Toledo - 58
Syracuse - 5

Quarterback QBR:

Toledo - 8
Syracuse - 94

Syracuse is a team that run hurry up and thus compiles stats due to a large volume of plays. They are also very one dimensional. Sure, they're a passing team, but more of a dunk and dunk short passing game. I'm not that impressed with them, but by all means feel free to be. We shut them down, no question, and it was a great performance.

Advertisement
Syracuse is a team that run hurry up and thus compiles stats due to a large volume of plays. They are also very one dimensional. Sure, they're a passing team, but more of a dunk and dunk short passing game. I'm not that impressed with them, but by all means feel free to be. We shut them down, no question, and it was a great performance.

Dude, I'm fairly certain that Syracuse is actually all about the deep passing game. I know you're trying to walk yourself back from a silly first comment, but don't bury yourself deeper in the process.

We're only giving up 3.92 yrds/rush

Run defense is no slouch. We just need to limit chunk runs and it'll be gravy

cfbstats.com - 2017 National Team Leaders

And most of those yards were inflated by Syracuse (51 rushing attempts), and GT (53 rushing attempts.) In our most recent game, VT ran the ball 43 times for 102 yard (2.4 ypc)

We need to play contain on Wimbush and hit him early and often. Make him not want to run. That's what UGA did - keep the QB inside then unleash the hounds on the RB.

Michael Jackson has changed our back 4. He has been an outright bully on his side of the field. Young is good in coverage as well. It let's our safeties play more in the box and get over the top on other routes. We get a coverage sack or two a game. It's amazing

Advertisement
Stats may show it but my eyes don't lie.
We need to take more of those INTS back for TD's. Or at least close to the redzone of the opposing team.
That is when I will say we have the best pass defense.

really?? thinking pass defense, not a ranking out there for passes returned for TD. I'll take 4 interceptions for no TD than one interception for a TD.

Another thing to consider...

A lot less coverage busts as we have progressed through the season. We're playing a lot tighter on the back-end.

Miami should always have an elite pass defense. There's simply too much DB talent down here.

Exactly, look at that guy saying sh*t like Syracuse doesn’t have a high powered passing offense....

I admittedly forgot about Syracuse in that their offense is based more on a high volume of plays.

Team Rankings

Points per game:

Toledo - 24
Syracuse - 69

Pass yards per game:

Toledo - 20
Syracuse - 29

Completions per game:

Toledo - 58
Syracuse - 5

Quarterback QBR:

Toledo - 8
Syracuse - 94

Their leading receiver was leading the country in reception yards for much of the season
The other won has the 3rd most receptions in the country

We're only giving up 3.92 yrds/rush

Run defense is no slouch. We just need to limit chunk runs and it'll be gravy

cfbstats.com - 2017 National Team Leaders

And most of those yards were inflated by Syracuse (51 rushing attempts), and GT (53 rushing attempts.) In our most recent game, VT ran the ball 43 times for 102 yard (2.4 ypc)

We need to play contain on Wimbush and hit him early and often. Make him not want to run. That's what UGA did - keep the QB inside then unleash the hounds on the RB.

Bingo. Plus, an inefficient run-heavy team that hedges this bet will eventually eat so much clock that they run themselves out of the game. Same thing happened to VaTech. If not for the early second half INT by Rosier and the first possession RZ blunder by Miami, the score would've been more representative of the blowout it should've been.

Staying discipline with assignments and fundamental tackling, limiting ND's big gains on rushes and we'll get the same results. The offense will need to convert chances early or stay on the field, and force ND to play from behind. They can't run it all game if they have to play catch up to a three possession game.

Advertisement

A lot less coverage busts as we have progressed through the season. We're playing a lot tighter on the back-end.

Miami should always have an elite pass defense. There's simply too much DB talent down here.

#20 is no longer getting pt

And alot of edge rush talent that can get after the QB down in SoFla. As a coach, you know that when a QB doesn’t have time to throw AND the WR’s can’t get space, it’s gonna be a long day for any offense. It’s why every Miami fan knows that read and react, bend don’t break is a terrible defensive system for Miami.

Advertisement

Dude, I'm fairly certain that Syracuse is actually all about the deep passing game. I know you're trying to walk yourself back from a silly first comment, but don't bury yourself deeper in the process.

Fairly confident, then I guess you're just completely wrong.

Syracuse isn't about the deep passing game at all.

Their two leading receivers, the same two with those gaudy reception numbers that were talked up prior to our game.

Yards Per Catch Ranking:

#246 Ishmael - 12.6 ypc
#371 Phillips - 10.0ypc

That is the very definition of a dunk and dink offense. They aren't a throwing it down the field team by any stretch of the imagination.

Toledo, almost every single one of their WR's averages higher than Syracuse by a pretty significant margin. Then again, you would already know that by the stats I posted above.

Team Rankings

Points per game:

Toledo - 24
Syracuse - 69

Pass yards per game:

Toledo - 20
Syracuse - 29

Completions per game:

Toledo - 58
Syracuse - 5

Quarterback QBR:

Toledo - 8
Syracuse - 94

Their leading receiver was leading the country in reception yards for much of the season
The other won has the 3rd most receptions in the country

As they have gotten into the meat of their schedule, us included, their numbers are dropping.

Combined 8 TD's, unimpressed. 12.6 and 10.0 yards per completion, unimpressed. Ishmael is a player, would ball out anywhere and ball out better than at Syracuse.

Average at best passing offense, still stand by it.

Fairly confident, then I guess you're just completely wrong.

Syracuse isn't about the deep passing game at all.

Their two leading receivers, the same two with those gaudy reception numbers that were talked up prior to our game.

Yards Per Catch Ranking:

#246 Ishmael - 12.6 ypc
#371 Phillips - 10.0ypc

That is the very definition of a dunk and dink offense. They aren't a throwing it down the field team by any stretch of the imagination.

Toledo, almost every single one of their WR's averages higher than Syracuse by a pretty significant margin. Then again, you would already know that by the stats I posted above.

May have been confusion on my part. I'll admit to never looking deeply into Syracuse's game. I just know that we defended them by playing our free safety deeper than normal. I guess it was a poor assumption on my part.

With that said, I have a crazy suggestion and I'm not sure if you'll go for it, but have you ever considered communicating with others without being a complete a$$?

i'll gladly eat some crow on this one. after bcc and toledo i was done with manny for not adjusting to the quick pass/slants. i wouldn't have thought we'd be talking best pass defense this year. i'd like to know who pulled him into the back office and smacked him around because he definitely made some changes, of course the db's getting better has helped. now if he can disguise blitzes and coverages a little better i think he can elevate to elite dc status. but yes, serve me my crow.

Advertisement
Back