Best HS FB Player You PERSONALLY Saw Play

Advertisement
I saw Freddie Miles take a pitch-out (back in 1979) and go 85yds Faster than I've ever seen anyone run in my life....
I saw Jammi German (for 2yrs at FM High) make opposing Defenses look like 8yr olds....I'm talking Absolute Destruction of opposing DBs...and STs...(Btw...He was Fls 1st Mr. Florida Football Award Winner)

__3-1.jpg

Freddie in Action...1979

Advertisement
CanesFam...Here's some more Facts about Freddie Miles.....Freddie....Not Marcus Dupree....Not Bo Jackson...and Not Hershel Walker WAS the #1 Ranked RB in America for 79-80.....That's indisputable....BUT....Freddies life was spiraling on a downward path moving foward.....Ask Don Soldinger...as I have...Who's the BEST RB he EVER saw (regardless of age) and I PROMISE you he says Freddie.

Spoiler alert; This one didn't end happy. We've all seen similar stories.

I watched a lot of Noel "The Devine One" play over here in SW FL, as two of my three sons played against him - he was really good. We've had some good ones; Deion Sanders (Played at same school, North Ft Myers, as Devine), Sammi Watkins was really good; Trey Burton was a specimen he played at Venice, where our Cane's Center played. Burton threw that TD in the Super Bowl and just threw out the first pitch and sang the National Anthem in Chicago this week.

But the best, and fastest I personally saw, was Mike Bellamy of Charlotte (my youngest was a WR on his teams, so I saw every game he played in HS). Bellamy broke the Florida TD record and would have shattered it, had he played more than 2 quarters in 80% of his games that were blowouts. I think Taylor broke the TD record the next year, but he'd been playing since 8th grade, Bellamy didn't start at RB until half way through his fresh year.

Bellamy won state 100 meter as a junior, was Sporting News High School Athlete of the Year. as a Sr but didn't run track that year. I played with some guys from Belle Glade in college who were running those rabbits down back in the 70s 30 some years before ESPN did the story. They were the fastest humans I ever saw, until this kid. His acceleration from 1st to 4th gear was blinding.

Now he was never a bad kid, never in any trouble with the law but had some other issues. He went to Clemson; first D-1 touch was a 75 yard TD run - had the Clemson folks going nuts. He broke a team "rule" before their bowl game that season, then ended up not taking finals the next semester. Dabo had enough, so he hit a Junior College - first JC touch 65 yard TD. Then away from the limelight, loss interest and fell into obscurity.

Some kids have learning disabilities and regardless of God given talent and a lot of help and attention, just can't get over them.

Last edited:
Spoiler alert; This one didn't end happy. We've all seen similar stories.

I watched a lot of Noel "The Devine One" play over here in SW FL, as two of my three sons played against him. We've had some good ones, Deion Sanders (Played at same school, North Ft Myers, as Devine), Trey Burton (Played at Venice where our Cane's Center played - he just threw out the first pitch and sand the National Anthem in Chicago this week) was a specimen.

But the best, and fastest I personally saw, was Mike Bellamy of Charlotte (my youngest was a WR on his teams, so I saw every game he played in HS). Bellamy broke the Florida TD record and could have shattered it, had they left him in against teams after the half. He won state 100 meter as a junior, was Sporting News High School Athlete of the Year. I played with some guys from Belle Glade in college, two of the fastest humans I ever saw, until this kid. His acceleration was blinding.

Now he was never a bad kid, never in any trouble with the law but had some other issues. He went to Clemson; first D-1 touch was a 80 yard TD run - had the Clemson folks going nuts. He broke a team "rule" before their bowl game that season, then ended up not taking finals the next semester. Dabo had enough, so he hit a Junior College - first JC touch 65 yard TD. Then away from the limelight, loss interest and fell into obscurity.

Some kids have learning disabilities and regardless of God given talent and a lot of help and attention, just can't get over them.
Silver....I also went too NFM (class of 78) Warren Williams also played there...

Advertisement
I think we did this thread not too long ago but I'll roll with it....

Lavar Arrington. He was set to come here too until Erickson left and then his mom was spooked by the death of Marlin Barnes.

That said, eff him. I remember him disrespecting Dan Morgan- a guy that was every bit as decorated a college linebacker. AND Morgan doesn't have to acknowledge the existence of a child rapist molding his career.

Silver....I also went too NFM (class of 78) Warren Williams also played there...
Coach Ron Hoover was still there wasn't he? Was in CHS 1972, played in the first ever Turkey Bowl at NFM 1970, with teammate Burton Lawless (FHSAA Top 100 of all time list, Gator All-American and three Super Bowls with Cowboys). Remember any older fellow Red Knights like, Roosevelt Dorris, Mike Rubinski, Clark or Prichard?

Advertisement
Coach Ron Hoover was still there wasn't he? Was in CHS 1972, played in the first ever Turkey Bowl at NFM 1970, with teammate Burton Lawless (FHSAA Top 100 of all time list, Gator All-American and three Super Bowls with Cowboys). Remember any older fellow Red Knights like, Roosevelt Dorris, Mike Rubinski, Clark or Prichard?
SILVERKING!!!!!!! I played with Charles Dorris...Gerald Gilmore...Chico Tyre....Emmit Tyre....etc....UNBELIEVABLE

I think we did this thread not too long ago but I'll roll with it....

Lavar Arrington. He was set to come here too until Erickson left and then his mom was spooked by the death of Marlin Barnes.

That said, eff him. I remember him disrespecting Dan Morgan- a guy that was every bit as decorated a college linebacker. AND Morgan doesn't have to acknowledge the existence of a child rapist molding his career.
Good One...

Advertisement
Silver....Hoover was HC....Gorton DC....Hilldebrand OC.....
Caneinorlando, Another of the Red Knights in that Turkey Bowl was Keith Goodwin who ended up coaching at Charlotte in the 1980s, with two of my buddies who played in that game. Small world. You guys were good - great coach Hoover.

Caneinorlando, Another of the Red Knights in that Turkey Bowl was Keith Goodwin who ended up coaching at Charlotte in the 1980s, with two of my buddies who played in that game. Small world. You guys were good - great coach Hoover.
We lost in 1977 State 4A Championship to Titusville Astronaut....Their QB was GatorBoy Chris Collinsworth...(Dude was a F-ing BEAST in HS....)....Do you remember Preston and Larry Gary??

We lost in 1977 State 4A Championship to Titusville Astronaut....Their QB was GatorBoy Chris Collinsworth...(Dude was a F-ing BEAST in HS....)....Do you remember Preston and Larry Gary??
Hoover was Very Good....But the Late Great Sam Sirianni (Ft Myers) is GOD LIKE.....His daughter Stephanie and I are friends..she's a HUGE Cane Fan....

Advertisement
Back