Best DL in ACCCD for 2020?

Advertisement
On paper we have the best defensive ends. Will they live up to the hype? History says no, but I’m hopeful. Will Baker have DE’s covering slot guys, and take away from their performance? Probably.

We really need our DTs to step up and give GR15, Roche, and Phillips a chance to shine. We can’t allow teams to slide protections and keep our guys in check.

Advertisement
We could be dominant. Obvious high hope is ACC Championship game. Let's just say, Clemson has crooted well at every position group.

On paper we have the best defensive ends. Will they live up to the hype? History says no, but I’m hopeful. Will Baker have DE’s covering slot guys, and take away from their performance? Probably.

We really need our DTs to step up and give GR15, Roche, and Phillips a chance to shine. We can’t allow teams to slide protections and keep our guys in check.

Hype would be about kids who have yet to proven it on the field. Rousseau was second in the nation in sacks, first team All-ACC, first team NCAA Freshman All-American, ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year. Roche led the nation in quarterback pressures at 67. He was AAC Defensive Player of the Year and Second Team All-American.

Yes, it would be great if Silviera and Ford really break out this year but what did we lose at tackle that was nothing more than pedestrian and Rousseau still had 15.5 sacks and played in very limited snaps the first 4 games?

Hype would be about kids who have yet to proven it on the field. Rousseau was second in the nation in sacks, first team All-ACC, first team NCAA Freshman All-American, ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year. Roche led the nation in quarterback pressures at 67. He was AAC Defensive Player of the Year and Second Team All-American.

Yes, it would be great if Silviera and Ford really break out this year but what did we lose at tackle that was nothing more than pedestrian and Rousseau still had 15.5 sacks and played in very limited snaps the first 4 games?

One season doesn’t make a career. We aren’t talking about first year starters here. This is NFL hype. Its about draft potential and what the NFL gurus are saying on their way too early mock boards.

I know we have the same tackles as last year when GR15went off, but there were games when teams took him out of games for long stretches. You don’t think other teams are watching tape and figuring out how to do the same?

One season doesn’t make a career. We aren’t talking about first year starters here. This is NFL hype. Its about draft potential and what the NFL gurus are saying on their way too early mock boards.

I know we have the same tackles as last year when GR15went off, but there were games when teams took him out of games for long stretches. You don’t think other teams are watching tape and figuring out how to do the same?

And you don't think the NFL hype is warranted? Let's see compared to Chase Young who is considered the best defensive line prospect since Clowney. Young started as a sophomore in 2018 (46 total tackles / 14.5 TFL / 10.5 sacks). Rousseau is 2 inches taller and I'd suspect has much longer arm length (54 total tackles / 19.5 TFL / 15.5 sacks). Young was considered the consensus all-american and many considered him the best player in college coming into 2019. Rousseau enters 2020 with better production.

Sure, you can game plan around Rousseau but he will be anchored on the other side with a second team All-American in Quincy Roche. How do you game plan around both creates quite the problem for opposing offensive coordinators. Sure, you double up both and leave yourself completely vulnerable up the middle or limit your passing game by going max protection.

Advertisement
And you don't think the NFL hype is warranted? Let's see compared to Chase Young who is considered the best defensive line prospect since Clowney. Young started as a sophomore in 2018 (46 total tackles / 14.5 TFL / 10.5 sacks). Rousseau is 2 inches taller and I'd suspect has much longer arm length (54 total tackles / 19.5 TFL / 15.5 sacks). Young was considered the consensus all-american and many considered him the best player in college coming into 2019. Rousseau enters 2020 with better production.

Sure, you can game plan around Rousseau but he will be anchored on the other side with a second team All-American in Quincy Roche. How do you game plan around both creates quite the problem for opposing offensive coordinators. Sure, you double up both and leave yourself completely vulnerable up the middle or limit your passing game by going max protection.

No need to get all worked up about it. I didn’t say it wasn’t warranted. I stated that in our recent history guys like that haven’t lived up to the hype, which is right.

No need to get all worked up about it. I didn’t say it wasn’t warranted. I stated that in our recent history guys like that haven’t lived up to the hype, which is right.

None of our guys in recent history provided anywhere close to Rousseau's productivity. Only guy close in last 15 years is Calais Campbell and he has had a terrific NFL career.

None of our guys in recent history provided anywhere close to Rousseau's productivity. Only guy close in last 15 years is Calais Campbell and he has had a terrific NFL career.

He also had a decent dip in production in his money year. I’m really not trying to talk bad about GR15 or anybody, I’m stating the fact that our guys haven’t progressed year to year as they should have. I hope his production is the same, I’m just not counting my chickens too soon

We've had the 'best DEs in the ACC' since 2016 but they never quite live up to the hype.
Chad Thomas, Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin were each hailed as the next great Miami DE but never eclipsed double-digit sacks in a season.
Rousseau came out of nowhere last year, especially for those who don't follow UM like us.
Before him it was Trent Harris.
Now that there's a bulls-eye on the chest of Rousseau and Roche, look for someone else on Miami's DL to step up.
This take has so much fire on it, it could kill Covid

Advertisement
Oke Skool Miami GR would be the talk of college football next year. his measurable and production would make it that way. Add in the other highly ranked players on the line would make things very difficult for teams. Lets hope we can out scheme teams to allow our talent to do what they do. We also have to hope GR break the curse of players reading clips and begin to coast. JG just looked like he was paid off not to play last year.

Pitt’s DL is borderline elite. It just isn’t as as Miami’s or Clemson’s. Rankings in ACC would be probably be:

1/2 Some order of Clemson and Miami, with most probably having Clemson 1.

Pitt 3, but not a distant 3.

After that the DLs are more individual player driven, rather than some awesome unit.

Advertisement
He also had a decent dip in production in his money year. I’m really not trying to talk bad about GR15 or anybody, I’m stating the fact that our guys haven’t progressed year to year as they should have. I hope his production is the same, I’m just not counting my chickens too soon

Easy explanation why Campbell's production dropped in 2007. Kareem Brown (11.0 sacks at DT) and Baraka Atkins (5.0 sacks) graduated. The dropoff was significant. And just as importantly, Shannon did not retain John Palermo.

Advertisement
Back