Benefit of the doubt... (OP gave it to Manny, now he's done w/ him)

Advertisement
Sure, they were great coaches and they played football. However, having played football, should not be a requirement to be a coach. To be a good coach, one must know the subject matter and KNOW HOW TO TEACH said subject matter.

We have to also understand players need to do there jobs also catch the ball make the 2nd or 3rd level block that you feel is to far down field then find out that 3rd level block would have been a game changer.

Please keep this in mind when judging Manny these kids bobble head yes then in game conditions OH that block is to far to make and pull up and seeing the WR was tackled by your man.

Sure, they were great coaches and they played football. However, having played football, should not be a requirement to be a coach. To be a good coach, one must know the subject matter and KNOW HOW TO TEACH said subject matter.
Name some Great, Elite Coaches who didn't play the sport in one way or the other....I'll wait........

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would you want your cardiologist operating on your heart, if he merely watched videos and read books on hearts, but never practiced on a cadaver or another human?

Would you want that cardiologist teaching other med students?

We have found our last mega slurper. Hello Mrs. Diaz.
I'm happy to have him gone. Would take Herman tomorrow. But his end of game management did not cost us the game. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

"He never played the game" is a statement that is not fair. I never played the game, I know I could coach football. Men don't have a birth canal to have children; however, they do assist the mother in delivering a child. According to your thinking, only women should be OB/GYN's. I was a 30-year high school teacher, never had children; but, I was a darn good teacher. Don't know about the "meddles" part and day to day operations of football program as a head coach. Coach Diaz did make an error in not gong for touchdown. Also, the players do appear to be undisciplined and lacking basic skills they should have learned in high school; heck, should have learned in Pop Warner.
The having played part offers a different perspective on many aspects that are important to the game & being a leader of those men.

1) physicality
2) situational awareness/feel for game
3) anticipation
4) discipline
5...... etc, etc.

In war, would you rather be led into a battle by a green, not experienced lieutenant (think LT. Dyke in Band of Brothers) or one that has been in many different battles, who will stay calm, focused & able to see through the fog? No flying bullets in football but the leadership concept is similar.

The players follow & play for a leader that is tactically sound, experienced & fearless that leads by example. Not talks a big game & consistently shrinks under the pressure & gets lost.

Advertisement
Imagine on that third down instead of running TVD backwards,

You do a quick play action out of shotgun, your TE slips by the LB as they were undoubtedly expecting and selling out to stop the run.

Such an easy TD to be had.
While i agree with you, you forgot the part where the ball hits the TE right in the numbers then he drops it.

I see this argument a lot. How big of an impact does it have?

And what constitutes “playing the game”?
High School?
College? Any level of college ball?
Pros?

No doubt playing at some level is really important (unless you’re Mike Leach), but i don’t think it is as important as some people make out.
Yes is helps you understand the nuance of 1 position, and probably 2 positions. I think the value in having played is more about understanding the headset of 18-22 year olds and balancing school, life, football and having parameters set by a coach, and upholding them.

The X’s and O’s are not that important if you ask me.
At least in college.

But the X’s & O’s are not important? You are joking, right? Why do you think Manny is about to get fired or why any one gets fired? Leadership & Xs & Os are everything? You think Miami’s Xs & Os are just fine???

Holy Fvvking ****!!

He put the team in a great position to win, as he should have, since it was just UVA.

His game days decisions are not the problem.
I am sorry, but who are you watching on Saturdays? ‘Bama???
Because you aren’t certainly aren’t watching Miami if you think his game day decisions aren’t a problem.

Advertisement
You guys really love the exceptions to the rule rather than what is the overwhelming majority.

We're not even having this discussion if the kicker makes a 33 yarder. If we pop in the TD, and UVA comes back and scores, the same "play the result" crowd has a tantrum.
Where have you been since Manny became coach?

The 2017 defense was not electric or elite or anything else but a bad D window dressed to look good for the moment...

Advertisement
Back