Benefit of the doubt... (OP gave it to Manny, now he's done w/ him)

SolNine

Recruit
I gave Manny the benefit of the doubt, I knew he wasn't experienced as a HC, but you have to make the leap at some point. The 2017 defense, was just electric, especially at the ND game and over all (sans linebackers...), he's recruited pretty well!

However; twice this season, he has made an egregious error, and last night it cost the team. Rather than doing the right thing and driving for the touchdown, he relied on a FRESHMAN kicker, to bailout the team with a win rather than attempting for a touchdown.

This tells me and the team you don't have confidence in our offense or our defense. Honestly; it is simply inexcusable to put the kid in this position against teams of inferior talent, which poor coaching had led to underperforming of the ENTIRE TEAM, and expect him to carry that burden his first year of college. You just don't do that to a young kid. Last night really bothered me, they didn't even make an attempt to get closer when they were running all over Virginia, their D was gassed, show some faith in your young QB and a team that was building some momentum. More over, they didn't even line the ball up at an angle for a close kick.

This was an egregiously awful decision. I realize that analytics say run the clock down and kick the ball, however; you need to have have some sense of the over all ramifications to the team psyche. Total confidence killer, and miserable way to start conference play.

Advertisement
So, what you’re saying OP, is that you’re no longer a Slurper!

Welcome to the dark side!!
I was never a slurper, I think everyone deserves a fair shot. I thought he brought in reasonably assistance coaches the past few years, though I strongly dislike they didn't hire a top tier DC so Manny can focus on the HC duties. He's done some positive things, but this is such a poorly coached team, making constant mistakes, and often playing very unmotivated football.

I still don't understand with the amazing size of our offensive line, how they can perform so poorly.

I was never a slurper, I think everyone deserves a fair shot. I thought he brought in reasonably assistance coaches the past few years, though I strongly dislike they didn't hire a top tier DC so Manny can focus on the HC duties. He's done some positive things, but this is such a poorly coached team, making constant mistakes, and often playing very unmotivated football.

I still don't understand with the amazing size of our offensive line, how they can perform so poorly.
Many of them didn’t deserve their post at a program of this level. He had no HC coaching Experience so his chest of coaches was limited. He has turned over both side of the coaching staff in 2 years.

That tells you everything! He doesn’t get the excuse of fixing the problem when he constantly creates the problem.

Many of them didn’t deserve their post at a program of this level. He had no HC coaching Experience so his chest of coaches was limited. He has turned over both side of the coaching staff in 2 years.

That tells you everything! He doesn’t get the excuse of fixing the problem when he constantly creates the problem.
To a degree... but it really depends if they are lateral moves, or moves to a better or worse spot. Turnover doesn't necessarily mean something bad... look at the Rams, they have lost endless assistance coaches to poaching! Not saying thats our case unfortunately, simply pointing out turnover isn't black and white!

I just feel like game day coaching is lacking something.

Advertisement
To a degree... but it really depends if they are lateral moves, or moves to a better or worse spot. Turnover doesn't necessarily mean something bad... look at the Rams, they have lost endless assistance coaches to poaching! Not saying thats our case unfortunately, simply pointing out turnover isn't black and white!

I just feel like game day coaching is lacking something.
Game day coaching is lacking because some aren’t good coaches. Also, Manny meddles in everything because he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room even though he never played the game.

Last edited:
Game day coaching is lacking because some aren’t good coaches & because Manny meddles in everything because he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room & he never played the game.
I see this argument a lot. How big of an impact does it have?

And what constitutes “playing the game”?
High School?
College? Any level of college ball?
Pros?

No doubt playing at some level is really important (unless you’re Mike Leach), but i don’t think it is as important as some people make out.
Yes is helps you understand the nuance of 1 position, and probably 2 positions. I think the value in having played is more about understanding the headset of 18-22 year olds and balancing school, life, football and having parameters set by a coach, and upholding them.

The X’s and O’s are not that important if you ask me.

Advertisement
He put the team in a great position to win, as he should have, since it was just UVA.

His game days decisions are not the problem.

Game day coaching is lacking because some aren’t good coaches & because Manny meddles in everything because he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room & he never played the game.
"He never played the game" is a statement that is not fair. I never played the game, I know I could coach football. Men don't have a birth canal to have children; however, they do assist the mother in delivering a child. According to your thinking, only women should be OB/GYN's. I was a 30-year high school teacher, never had children; but, I was a darn good teacher. Don't know about the "meddles" part and day to day operations of football program as a head coach. Coach Diaz did make an error in not gong for touchdown. Also, the players do appear to be undisciplined and lacking basic skills they should have learned in high school; heck, should have learned in Pop Warner.

Advertisement

Because our coaching staff is Toilet water from the top down....how anyone in their right mind doesn't see this is troubling...

"He never played the game" is a statement that is not fair. I never played the game, I know I could coach football. Men don't have a birth canal to have children; however, they do assist the mother in delivering a child. According to your thinking, only women should be OB/GYN's. I was a 30-year high school teacher, never had children; but, I was a darn good teacher. Don't know about the "meddles" part and day to day operations of football program as a head coach. Coach Diaz did make an error in not gong for touchdown. Also, the players do appear to be undisciplined and lacking basic skills they should have learned in high school; heck, should have learned in Pop Warner.
Most of the Great CFB & NFL Coaches most certainly played the game...
Saban
Schnellenberger
Bellicek
JJ
Walsh
Lombardi
Knoll
Shula
Shottenheimer
Grant
Bear Bryant etc...all played football...most both CFB and the NFL...

Last edited:
Advertisement
I gave Manny the benefit of the doubt, I knew he wasn't experienced as a HC, but you have to make the leap at some point. The 2017 defense, was just electric, especially at the ND game and over all (sans linebackers...), he's recruited pretty well!

However; twice this season, he has made an egregious error, and last night it cost the team. Rather than doing the right thing and driving for the touchdown, he relied on a FRESHMAN kicker, to bailout the team with a win rather than attempting for a touchdown.

This tells me and the team you don't have confidence in our offense or our defense. Honestly; it is simply inexcusable to put the kid in this position against teams of inferior talent, which poor coaching had led to underperforming of the ENTIRE TEAM, and expect him to carry that burden his first year of college. You just don't do that to a young kid. Last night really bothered me, they didn't even make an attempt to get closer when they were running all over Virginia, their D was gassed, show some faith in your young QB and a team that was building some momentum. More over, they didn't even line the ball up at an angle for a close kick.

This was an egregiously awful decision. I realize that analytics say run the clock down and kick the ball, however; you need to have have some sense of the over all ramifications to the team psyche. Total confidence killer, and miserable way to start conference play.
I was wondering why we didn’t take a couple shots inside the 10-15 yard line bringing in ALL receivers including Restrepo.

This did have me questioning BUT kicking FG inside 10-15 is a safe bet I see the thought process centering the kick it’s done all the time.

I can only imagine how the freshman kicker feels knowing his kicking is like breathing not even a thought thousand of successful kicks.

One thing I do know in the future this young man will make kicks that will bring fans to there feet in WOW amazing distance.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back