Benedict Cristobal is gone

Look at what McDonald just did to Arkansas. Leaves UM for a lateral position then leaves a month later to be the Syracuse OC

Its business, if youre getting more money or think its a better move for your career you at least look into it.

If McDonald was a Ark alum and was on his second stint there Id say the situations are comparable

McDonald left because he knew Fisch was on his way to Jacksonville.

What?

Advertisement
Do you know what a lateral move is? A lateral move is going to the same position at a similar company for similar pay. And we know that Bama offers a step up in 2 out of those 3 (better pay, and as hard as it might be for you to admit, they're a better "company" right now)

Do you also realize that the coaching industry is filled with back-stabbing SOB's who've done far worse than anything Mario would be doing if he left for Bama? LMAO if you really think him taking a better-paying job at a better team would keep him from getting a job down the line.

Do you people think before you post?

Maybe you should do some research before you chime in. Stoutland was making 390 a year...Mario is making 500k. The whole Alabama mystique for coaching hires is completely overblown, and If you disagree come with facts. Not what YOU imagine to be reality....like the fact that the Oline coach for USCe just turned down the job (he must be a moron by your estimation). Name me the last Saban assistant from Alabama to become a head coach. Can you? I'll save you the time, Jim McElwain was OC and left to become head coach at mighty Colorado State. Can you name the last position coach to go straight from Alabama to HC somewhere? None...

The reality is he may go or he may not...I really have no idea, but on the surface it certainly looks to me like he'd be doing more harm to his reputation than anything he would gain from taking the job. It certainly is unlikely to get him a HC gig any faster, and he would have to be paid more than any of there current non-coordinator assistants for it to equal a pay raise.

What a load.

It doesn't matter what Stoutland made; he had no HC experience. And you have no idea what Mario is making at UM--we have nothing more than rumors to go on. And you also have no idea whether Bama would offer him a position title analogous to what he has at UM (Associate HC) or whether it would be strictly an OL coach position and title. And you also have no idea whether the USCe coach turned the job down, or whether (as is often the case) Bama turned him down and allowed him the courtesy of pulling his name out of contention.

What we do know is that Cristobal has reportedly said that money is an issue--which means that Bama would apparently offer him more.

So please, don't lecture me about what is known and what is imagined.

Cristobal's situation is unique in that he has HC experience; he's not some lifer assistant. His stated goal is obviously to get back to an HC gig. Working for a national title contender for more money will likely allow him that chance better than working at UM for less money. End of story.

Really?
Please provide proof to support your assertion that working at Alabama provides better opportunity at becoming a HC.
Examples please.

How many Golden acolytes are currently HCs? And how many Saban ex-assistants are now HCs?

He doesn't need Saban or anyone else to land a HC gig. Just another lame excuse trying to justify this *******.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at what McDonald just did to Arkansas. Leaves UM for a lateral position then leaves a month later to be the Syracuse OC

Its business, if youre getting more money or think its a better move for your career you at least look into it.

If McDonald was a Ark alum and was on his second stint there Id say the situations are comparable

That doesn't hold up.

McDonald left around Dec 20. The Jax HC (Gus Bradley) wasn't hired until Jan 17. Since Bradley hired Fisch, the timeline doesn't work out.

That doesn't hold up.

McDonald left around Dec 20. The Jax HC (Gus Bradley) wasn't hired until Jan 17. Since Bradley hired Fisch, the timeline doesn't work out.

Exactly. Wait, no, Fisch was going to be the OC no matter who was hired as HC....

Advertisement
is the silence following Cristobal's interview a good thing or a bad thing? Gotta think if he wasnt going, he would kill the rumors asap....the longer this process takes, the more likely he is off to Bama

Do you know what a lateral move is? A lateral move is going to the same position at a similar company for similar pay. And we know that Bama offers a step up in 2 out of those 3 (better pay, and as hard as it might be for you to admit, they're a better "company" right now)

Do you also realize that the coaching industry is filled with back-stabbing SOB's who've done far worse than anything Mario would be doing if he left for Bama? LMAO if you really think him taking a better-paying job at a better team would keep him from getting a job down the line.

Do you people think before you post?

Maybe you should do some research before you chime in. Stoutland was making 390 a year...Mario is making 500k. The whole Alabama mystique for coaching hires is completely overblown, and If you disagree come with facts. Not what YOU imagine to be reality....like the fact that the Oline coach for USCe just turned down the job (he must be a moron by your estimation). Name me the last Saban assistant from Alabama to become a head coach. Can you? I'll save you the time, Jim McElwain was OC and left to become head coach at mighty Colorado State. Can you name the last position coach to go straight from Alabama to HC somewhere? None...

The reality is he may go or he may not...I really have no idea, but on the surface it certainly looks to me like he'd be doing more harm to his reputation than anything he would gain from taking the job. It certainly is unlikely to get him a HC gig any faster, and he would have to be paid more than any of there current non-coordinator assistants for it to equal a pay raise.

What a load.

It doesn't matter what Stoutland made; he had no HC experience. And you have no idea what Mario is making at UM--we have nothing more than rumors to go on. And you also have no idea whether Bama would offer him a position title analogous to what he has at UM (Associate HC) or whether it would be strictly an OL coach position and title. And you also have no idea whether the USCe coach turned the job down, or whether (as is often the case) Bama turned him down and allowed him the courtesy of pulling his name out of contention.

What we do know is that Cristobal has reportedly said that money is an issue--which means that Bama would apparently offer him more.

Cristobal's situation is unique in that he has HC experience; he's not some lifer assistant. His stated goal is obviously to get back to an HC gig. Working for a national title contender for more money will likely allow him that chance better than working at UM for less money. End of story.

Really?
Please provide proof to support your assertion that working at Alabama provides better opportunity at becoming a HC.
Examples please.

How many Golden acolytes are currently HCs? And how many Saban ex-assistants are now HCs?

List them please.

What a load.

Really?
Examples please.

List them please.

Former Golden assistants that went on to HC jobs: none that I'm aware of.

Former Saban assistants that went on to HC jobs: Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, Mike Haywood, Derek Dooley, Mark Dantonio, Jim McElwain.

Golden has be a head coach for what 7-8 years.. and he has produced a HC - the Current guy at Temple.

Saban Has been Head coaching for over 20 years... LOL i think he had a head start..

JC

Advertisement
is the silence following Cristobal's interview a good thing or a bad thing? Gotta think if he wasnt going, he would kill the rumors asap....the longer this process takes, the more likely he is off to Bama

100% bad. No doubt.

Golden has be a head coach for what 7-8 years.. and he has produced a HC - the Current guy at Temple.

Saban Has been Head coaching for over 20 years... LOL i think he had a head start..

JC

That's true. But the point is that if you're a guy who wants to be a HC, you'd probably want to be under the tutelage of a guy who has a sizable history of sending assistants off to HC gigs. ESPECIALLY if you'll make more money there.

Look, I'm not saying that Cristobal will take the job. I have no idea about that. I also have no idea what they're offering...if it's only a minimal pay increase, or if they only gave him the title of OL coach instead of Associate HC like he has at UM, well then he might do well to turn the job down. But it's ridiculous to expect him not to at least listen to what they have to offer.

What a load.

Really?
Examples please.

List them please.

Former Golden assistants that went on to HC jobs: none that I'm aware of.

Former Saban assistants that went on to HC jobs: Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, Mike Haywood, Derek Dooley, Mark Dantonio, Jim McElwain.

Muschamp, Dantonio and Haywood landed their HC jobs after working for other coaches, not directly from Saban's staff.
If you are going by that criteria, then I find it curious that you conveniently are not aware of Golden's former assistant being the
new Temple HC.
So you've actually got FIsher, McElwain and Dooley, whose dad is an SEC legend (as much a factor as having worked Saban).
Really, when you consider how many years Saban has been a HC vs Golden, there really isn't much of a difference. And Golden
has had several former assts from his Temple and UM staffs move on to NFL gigs.
You overplayed that card, IMO.
It's not as if Saban's coaching tree of former assts working as HCs is as big as Hayden Fry or Bill Snyder.
You need to lay off the slurping of SEC propaganda.

Advertisement
What a pile of **** that rag is. Al hired Fredo knowing he'd be looking for another job in a month? Yeah sure. And then to assume its a good move because he wants to be a HC and won't be one at UM but I'm sure they're going to hire him at Alabama. LULZ. Didn't Fredo get his last HCing gig as a result of working at UM? None of it makes sense.

None of it adds up, I think they are just making **** up

Al basically hired an overqualified dude with full knowledge that he was overqualified and would be moving on at the first (better) opportunity. If Mario splits, it is what it is. Happens all the time when you hired overqualified people. It's a chance you take when you make the choice to hire that person.

I was laid off from my job a couple years back. After I got let go, I took the first job that I was offered next, even though it was a position that was beneath me. My new boss knew it, and I knew it. I worked there for a couple months, then got a better job at a more prestigious company for more money. Guess that makes me a Fredo.

No. I have no idea what your career is or how much money you were making at that job you left quickly. But to analogize normal day to day jobs to the job that Fredo has is not persuasive. I'm going to assume you weren't making $500K at the fill-in job and that it wasn't a job at your alma mater where you were given the Associate HC position.

Furthermore, to your statement of over-qualification, if Fredo's overqualified for the Associate HC job here, then he's just as overqualified for the OL corching gig at Bama.

You can whine about it all you want and call the dude a traitor and Fredo and whatever else...but you'd do the same **** thing if you were intelligent about your career.

He currently has a job at a program that has been mediocre for the last decade and is still in the throes of the longest NCAA investigation on record. He obviously has the potential for substantially more money at a program (Bama) that has spent the last half-decade on top of the football world. Bama would give him more of an opportunity for immediate success at the highest level, hence much more visibility on a national scale. He obviously wants to be a HC again soon, and being part of a national title contender would likely get him there faster than being part of a rebuild at UM.

He never swore that he'd be here through thick and thin, didn't take an oath to the U family to stay on staff forever and see us through good times and bad. He's got a job at his alma mater, which is great...but he'd be dumb as a rock not to at least listen to overtures for a job at a better program that pays more. And he's been up-front with Golden the whole time; he's not stabbing anyone in the back.

I'm not "whining" about anything. I called a scumbag a scumbag and said I'd fire the guy. If that's whining to you, then you're a dope. If you want to be a dyck and turn a friendly conversation chippy, then we can do that.

You can try to label being a scumbag as a "smart" move, and claim that anyone who is smart like you think you are would be a scumbag too. I absolutely would NOT do what Fredo is doing because I'm not a scumbag. Apparently, you are a mercenary, so you don't see the problem with making a move a month after being hired by your alma mater. All you care about is an extra buck or leeching onto something that someone else has already built.

Check the Alabama assistant corches' salaries and tell me how Saban will justify paying Fredo a big enough raise to make this scumbag move justifiable in the eyes of guys like you. How does he go from paying a respected OL corch like Stoutland $395K to paying Fredo $600-700K? What's he paying his coordinators? Will Fredo make more than them?

You're not all that bright if you don't see that corches can still get pretty significant upgrades from working with Corch Al. Take a look at Jedd Fisch and how he parlayed two years of work with Alshermond into an NFL OC gig at $1.5M/year. Apparently, UM's mediocre program didn't hurt him because he did a decent job here and got a monster upgrade. I bet Terry Richardson got a pretty big raise too. McDonald is now an OC after a couple years with Al.

Awww...I disagree with you, so I'm a loser or a troll. What are you, 12 years old? Grow the eff up.

The O Coord we just sent to the NFL had already been in the NFL before, and Richardson had 15 years total experience coaching RBs and went to the league to coach RBs. Both spent at least 2 seasons at the U before moving on. And for both, the UM gig was the best chance they had for advancement; no one from Bama or Oregon or LSU etc was beating down their doors.

Neither of those is analogous to Mario's situation. Dude's trying to put himself in the best spot possible to get a HG gig ASAP...next year, if possible. And Bama offers better pay and higher visibility on a national scale. If he's offered the gig and takes it, more power to him.

GTFOH with your sad **** routine. Be a man and recognize that men do what's best for their careers.

At the very least Mario was lying in his presser on what his intentions were on why he took the UM job in the first place. So now if I don't agree with you that him taking the Bama job is "best for his career" then I'm not a man. OK....LULZ.

If you can't realize how scummy that is then that's your issue. Like I said before, I hope he does leave.......for good, don't let the door hit you in the ***.

Thing is I'm not sure Saban will be to eager to hire him, knowing he'll likely be gone in less than a year as well (even though Saban is cut from the same ****).

You're not a man because you're acting like he owes you something when he doesn't owe you jack. His obligations are to his family, and if the Bama job pays more and gives him a better chance to succeed at the highest level, then he's doing what a man should do.

As far as his presser, the dude said what anyone taking the job would say. "I want to be part of putting the U back on the map" or something similar. Makes for a great press clipping, makes the fans feel warm and fuzzy. But there's a caveat there..."I want to be part of" doesn't necessarily mean "I'm willing to pass up more money at a better opportunity just to be part of"...

Once you realize that, then you'll be a man.

LULZ at "his obligation is to his family". What a dopey thing to say. You act like he can't support his family on the measly $500K he'd make here, which he'd certainly parlay into another HC gig in a year or two. You mean the same family that wants to live in South Florida and has ties here? Is that where this scumbag's obligation lies?

Advertisement
Awww...I disagree with you, so I'm a loser or a troll. What are you, 12 years old? Grow the eff up.

The O Coord we just sent to the NFL had already been in the NFL before, and Richardson had 15 years total experience coaching RBs and went to the league to coach RBs. Both spent at least 2 seasons at the U before moving on. And for both, the UM gig was the best chance they had for advancement; no one from Bama or Oregon or LSU etc was beating down their doors.

Neither of those is analogous to Mario's situation. Dude's trying to put himself in the best spot possible to get a HG gig ASAP...next year, if possible. And Bama offers better pay and higher visibility on a national scale. If he's offered the gig and takes it, more power to him.

GTFOH with your sad **** routine. Be a man and recognize that men do what's best for their careers.

At the very least Mario was lying in his presser on what his intentions were on why he took the UM job in the first place. So now if I don't agree with you that him taking the Bama job is "best for his career" then I'm not a man. OK....LULZ.

If you can't realize how scummy that is then that's your issue. Like I said before, I hope he does leave.......for good, don't let the door hit you in the ***.

Thing is I'm not sure Saban will be to eager to hire him, knowing he'll likely be gone in less than a year as well (even though Saban is cut from the same ****).

You're not a man because you're acting like he owes you something when he doesn't owe you jack. His obligations are to his family, and if the Bama job pays more and gives him a better chance to succeed at the highest level, then he's doing what a man should do.

As far as his presser, the dude said what anyone taking the job would say. "I want to be part of putting the U back on the map" or something similar. Makes for a great press clipping, makes the fans feel warm and fuzzy. But there's a caveat there..."I want to be part of" doesn't necessarily mean "I'm willing to pass up more money at a better opportunity just to be part of"...

Once you realize that, then you'll be a man.

LULZ at "his obligation is to his family". What a dopey thing to say. You act like he can't support his family on the measly $500K he'd make here, which he'd certainly parlay into another HC gig in a year or two. You mean the same family that wants to live in South Florida and has ties here? Is that where this scumbag's obligation lies?

LMAO at the amount of assumptions you fools make.

1) This 500k figure you're throwing out hasn't been confirmed. What has been confirmed is that Mario himself has said that money is an issue.
2) Who the **** are you to say what he does and doesn't need to support his family? Do you have inside info on what his debts and obligations are? If he can make more money, and thereby can make his family more comfortable, **** yes he has an obligation to listen to the offer.
3) How the **** do you know what his family wants to do?

Seriously, chise, you're acting like a little ***** on this one.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back