Off-Topic Ben Sasse to UF (President)

Advertisement
I guess because he doesn't want to always kneel in front of the orange one, he has decided to get out of politics and jump into higher education?
He had been president of some very small Lutheran college in Nebraska prior to becoming a senator but in no way would that remotely qualify him for this job.

People will probably cite Mitch Daniels at Purdue but Daniels was also a major budget wonk as a politician and that is a major component of his success there. Sasse is more a linguistic shtick type of guy.

That said, I don't care if UiF burns to the ground so moar power to them in making weird hires.

Advertisement
How many thought Shalala would be worthwhile as a college president?

I'll reserve judgement.
Without debating her actual job performance, I'd probably just say she had a resume that included a previous presidency (Hunter College) and a chancellorship (Wisconsin).

I actually thought Jeb would've been a good choice for our job so I'm not necessarily one to demand a lifetime in academia for those spots. I just think UF is a giant job and Sasse is a weird fit on a few fronts- plus I'm biased because I've soured on him personally.

I do think academia as a whole would greatly benefit if a few more conservatives were hired in these spots. I dunno. Maybe Sasse can find that balance once he's no longer tethered to hypocrises and spinelessness involved with his current job.

Advertisement
Without debating her actual job performance, I'd probably just say she had a resume that included a previous presidency (Hunter College) and a chancellorship (Wisconsin).

I actually thought Jeb would've been a good choice for our job so I'm not necessarily one to demand a lifetime in academia for those spots. I just think UF is a giant job and Sasse is a weird fit on a few fronts- plus I'm biased because I've soured on him personally.

I do think academia as a whole would greatly benefit if a few more conservatives were hired in these spots. I dunno. Maybe Sasse can find that balance once he's no longer tethered to hypocrises and spinelessness involved with his current job.

What rationale is the University using in terms of relevant experience. I just can’t think how someone that was a politician, disirregardless of his party affiliation, but without much academic experience, would be considered a positive addition.

I will say that if I were hiring, keeping in mind I’m not an academician, one of the most important skills that I would be looking for would be how good of a fundraising revenue producer he is.

So I don’t know how highly he is considered in terms of this skill. Obviously there are other factors, improving academic standing being a huge one as well, but all of that is inexorably tied to revenues, in my opinion.

Can we soon expect to see runza for sale at the swamp?

Advertisement
What rationale is the University using in terms of relevant experience. I just can’t think how someone that was a politician, disirregardless of his party affiliation, but without much academic experience, would be considered a positive addition.

I will say that if I were hiring, keeping in mind I’m not an academician, one of the most important skills that I would be looking for would be how good of a fundraising revenue producer he is.

So I don’t know how highly he is considered in terms of this skill. Obviously there are other factors, improving academic standing being a huge one as well, but all of that is inexorably tied to revenues, in my opinion.
You're already chair of the English Department here at Foote U. I'm going to slot you in to teach a few academatics courses over the summer session (despite being too humble about your background in the field) so let's hold off on those plans to represent us in the Semester at Sea faculty.

Last edited:
The cancel culture is alive and well at UF

They did this to Alberto Gonzalez years ago too. If someone you oppose (or even despise) shows up on campus (or anywhere) and offers a Q&A forum then call me old fashioned but I think THAT'S where you try to prove your point- by exposing them intellectually via verbal discourse.

All these clowns apparently did was attempt to disrupt that for people actually confident enough in their own cognitive abilities to engage Sasse like an adult.

Advertisement
They did this to Alberto Gonzalez years ago too. If someone you oppose (or even despise) shows up on campus (or anywhere) and offers a Q&A forum then call me old fashioned but I think THAT'S where you try to prove your point- by exposing them intellectually via verbal discourse.

All these clowns apparently did was attempt to disrupt that for people actually confident enough in their own cognitive abilities to engage Sasse like an adult.
The only tool that seems to get used anymore is the heckler's veto.

How many thought Shalala would be worthwhile as a college president?

I'll reserve judgement.

Was she bad as a president, or bad for the football program?

It almost feels like what she accomplished ultimately paid off for football, as the UHealth money has come in handy

What % of his time in the Senate did Sasse not support Trump, or Conservative positions? I don't know but am betting the number was probably like 2-3%. So ... I think by any objective means to say he is not a Conservative Republican is just flat out false.

Was she bad as a president, or bad for the football program?

It almost feels like what she accomplished ultimately paid off for football, as the UHealth money has come in handy
She improved academics and fundraising. UHealth turned out great long term, but she would've been better served hiring a strong AD and letting him work.

Advertisement
Back