Ben Davis - Alabama LB transfer

Advertisement
He was the number one rated linebacker of his class and hasn’t started one game for them.
But you know.... they develop better than we do.

That sht happens here and we would be having at least 30 pages on who should be fired and why elite recruits do t come here.
Facts to eternity

I think he’s had injuries too.
but we need to get past the “he’s done nothing at school X” argument. It’s lazy asf. There’s plenty of factors that contribute to why a kid might not pan out at one school then do well at their next stop. We’ve had our own examples. Some guys really do just need a new environment. And at a place like Bama if u suffer a setback it’s easy to get your spot took and get passed up. That’s what made us great in the past also. The fear of not getting your spot back because the guy behind u is just as if not more talented then u

Generally speaking, I agree with all of this. There are countless reasons why a kid gets passed up or underperforms.

But in the case of this particular kid, IMO he was overrated. I think I mentioned him a few weeks ago as probably the worst "No. 1 LB" in the last several recruiting classes. In his HS film he looked like an average tackler with little pop who didn't have great instincts. People fell in love with him because of the measurables and potential, but if you compare his HS film with some of these recent 5* LBs, he sticks out like a sore thumb.

Is he worth an IC and scholly (assuming the NCAA gives us schools some IC relief for transfers)? Definitely worth some due diligence, and I suspect he's got more athleticism + size that just about every LB on our roster.

Advertisement
He was the number one rated linebacker of his class and hasn’t started one game for them.

That sht happens here and we would be having at least 30 pages on who should be fired and why elite recruits do t come here.
Some players respond differently when they receive a huge windfall of money. Lol

Some players respond differently when they receive a huge windfall of money. Lol
I can’t blame an elite recruit for going to Bama.
But I will blame them and some fans for acting like they will develop a player better than all the p5 programs.

Recruiting is like the draft. It’s a crap shoot and only a very small sample of players can you say “he’s gonna play on Sunday despite them never even playing on Saturday.

Even the nfl gets most of their draft picks wrong.
Saban found a sure way to make people believe that he is the magic formula.
He stock pikes talent at an unbelievable rate to the point that we only pay attention to the draft and not to his actual recruiting classes.

The difference between an above average college player and an professional player is very wide.
There is also a wide gap between an average cfb player and a borderline nfl player. And that’s why they win. Their 5 star guard may not be an nfl caliber player. But he’s **** sure good enough to block the fck out of your 3 or 4 star tackle and they have like 2 or 3 right behind him if he gets hurt.

However, there is an elephant in the room (pun intended) that nobody wants to talk about. And that is:
How can anyone say with certainty that all those players that went to Bama that were top 100 recruits wouldn’t have at least made 1 nfl contract if they had rhe opportunity to get more playing time somewhere else.
There is no better development than actual playing time and correcting your mistakes that you actually get to see in a game.
Yet these 4 and 5 star kids sit at bamas bench for 4 and even 5 years and don’t transfer out.

There is some serious brainwashing going in at that program that is baffling. I can’t imagine some of the players that they have there not wanting to try their luck somewhere else.

They won’t even try to go somewhere to get enough playing time to work towards at least a lower round draft grade.

Advertisement
The problem is that this happens all the time at Bama and nobody notices it. The reason they don’t notice Ben Davis not playing is because you have Harris, Moses, and like 2 other freaks at that position.
You don’t notice the receivers that don’t do anything like Xavier Williams cause you have smith a and Jeudy winning awards.
You don’t notice all the 5 star trench bullies that don’t make the league cause of Hand, Leatherwood and Neal and Q Williams. They have over 70 blue chip recruits on their 85 man roster and I guarantee you that most of them won’t make the league.
But we suck at development cause for the past 10 years some of our 4 star sofla kids didn’t pan out the way our fans thought they should’ve.

I keep telling everyone that these frontrunner schools get dudes in the draft because of the high number of elite talent they get every year and not cause they have some development magic.
They literally change position coaches on a yearly basis and most of those guys nobody here has heard of them.
So which is it, theyre no better than us at development, or we’re not good at development?

I keep reading that we haven’t developed well enough. Is the claim not that Alabama is just as ****** as we are st it? If so, why does anyone waste any time even talking about it? Because if you can win 6 titles by not developing, then let’s focus on other areas to improve.

Saban, since 2008, have recruited 289 blue chip players (4 - 5 stars). It’s an ungodly amount of talent that’s been recruited there. Like, it’s not even close.

From what I understand, from ppl I’ve talked to whose family have attended Bama or currently enrolled there is that Bama 2021 is like Miami 80’s - early 2000’s. Nothing is promised, it’s ran like a football factory, young pups come knowing at best they can show their worth & become an instant starter, but most likely, they are waiting their turn & playing in garbage time & ST. Stars don’t mean ish besides u better live up to the hype. If u don’t, then it’s probably best u move on, b/c there’s another hired gun coming through.

Pressure bust pipes; programs that recruit this efficiently and prolific are going to have casualties of war. If u were the man at school, dubbed a future NFL prospect, then u go to a school where there are 70 other guys w/ that same mantra?? Brethren, either u persevere & shine or u hit the road to redeem.

Personally, I don’t want a guy who’s been in a program 3+ yrs & still can’t crack significant playing time, stars be damned. I’ll take a flyer on a true freshman or a starting Senior coming on as Grad-Transfer to build on his resume, but I’m hella leery on a high profiled recruit who can’t cut it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So which is it, theyre no better than us at development, or we’re not good at development?

I keep reading that we haven’t developed well enough. Is the claim not that Alabama is just as ****** as we are st it? If so, why does anyone waste any time even talking about it? Because if you can win 6 titles by not developing, then let’s focus on other areas to improve.
He ain’t winning 6 titles and wouldn’t be putting anywhere near the amount of players in the league if the past 10 years he recruited outside the top 10.

He ain’t winning 6 titles and wouldn’t be putting anywhere near the amount of players in the league if the past 10 years he recruited outside the top 10.
Okay, so you think their development is (a) no better than ours or (b) better than ours?

Advertisement

Bro, I think U’re just hating on Saban right now.

Peep:

Saban’s first full recruiting class was the class of ‘08. Since that time, Bama has been in the Top-10 all 14 yrs.

But what if I were tell you UGA is 2nd? UGA has had a top 10 class in 12 of the last 14 classes.

What if I were tell you OSU is tied for 2nd? OSU has had a top 10 class in 12 of the last 14 classes.

What if I were tell you SC was 3rd? SC has had a top 10 class in 11 of the last 14 classes.

These mofos have a total of 1 championship, combined, since 2008, champ!

It’s not simply Saban having a top class every year.

Bro, I think U’re just hating on Saban right now.

Peep:

Saban’s first full recruiting class was the class of ‘08. Since that time, Bama has been in the Top-10 all 14 yrs.

But what if I were tell you UGA is 2nd? UGA has had a top 10 class in 12 of the last 14 classes.

What if I were tell you OSU is tied for 2nd? OSU has had a top 10 class in 12 of the last 14 classes.

What if I were tell you SC was 3rd? SC has had a top 10 class in 11 of the last 14 classes.

These mofos have a total of 1 championship, combined, since 2008, champ!

It’s not simply Saban having a top class every year.
You are correct. But we’re not talking about a top 10 class.
He’s had the number one class almost every year except 3. And 2 of thos were his first 2 years I believe. The only schools to come close have been Ohio state and uga the last 4 years.
There is a big difference being a top 10 recruiting class as opposed to being the number one class for almost all of those years. And you have to add that Saban keeps almost all of that talent for 4 years.
But uga has been number 2 or 2 the past several years and beat Bama one year. And they almost won.
My response was what If Bama recruited outside of the top 10.

My whole argument was development and not so much Saban being a great coach.
And you mentioned all those schools in your post and what do they all have in common in the last 10 years? High draft picks.

So recruiting might not give you a guaranteed championship but it seems to get you to the playoffs and it sure as **** will get you a lot of Draft picks.

I know this is going to hurt some of the “development” crowd’s feelings but at a lot positions are reliant on traits you can’t develop no matter how much you practice or watch film. You have the instincts to play linebacker or you don’t. It’s why Shaq and Pinckney were able to contribute consistently and McCloud has flopped. They all got the exact same coaching from the exact same coaches. Quarterbacks and linemen need to be developed. Linebackers and running backs either have it or they don’t.

You are correct. But we’re not talking about a top 10 class.
He’s had the number one class almost every year except 3. And 2 of thos were his first 2 years I believe. The only schools to come close have been Ohio state and uga the last 4 years.
There is a big difference being a top 10 recruiting class as opposed to being the number one class for almost all of those years. And you have to add that Saban keeps almost all of that talent for 4 years.
But uga has been number 2 or 2 the past several years and beat Bama one year. And they almost won.
My response was what If Bama recruited outside of the top 10.

My whole argument was development and not so much Saban being a great coach.
And you mentioned all those schools in your post and what do they all have in common in the last 10 years? High draft picks.

So recruiting might not give you a guaranteed championship but it seems to get you to the playoffs and it sure as **** will get you a lot of Draft picks.

Imo, this is a chicken or egg situation. Is Saban getting the top recruits b/c he’s a good coach & developer or is Saban a good coach b/c of the top recruits he get? Imo, it’s the 1st & not the latter. I’m in no way discounting getting top recruits; of course u need the ingredients. But what good is a chef if he doesn’t know what to do w/ said ingredients?

We’ve witnessed first hand, here in Miami, that having top recruits don’t mean chit if u can’t develop them, and I’m not talking about the Shannon - Diaz yrs, I’m talking about us being thee premier program in America & literally having chit to show for it besides an “almost” National Championship in 2003. We also saw as time went on, our recruiting classes became worst & worst.

So I’m of the thought that the best wanna play with the best & a winning program. However, in order to get to this point, results gotta be shown. So when it comes to Saban, even at his days at MSU, results showed by producing high draft picks & having the best coaching record there in over 15 yrs.

Advertisement
Back