Belle Glade - The Muck

Noliaboi

Sophomore
Wow, what happened to them? When is the last time they had an elite prospect? Are the kids going to a different school in the area now?

Advertisement
My buddy is from there and he told me that crime and drugs are simply taking over. Kids that used to play football are now selling dope. He said the young thugs are taking over the communities. Adults are essentially being held hostage. They don't say anything to the kids and can't reprimand them cause they're wild and people are scared.

There's still talent in the area but I think it's clearly fallen off. It ain't what it used to be.

The economy south of Lake O has been going downhill for years. A lot of those families have moved into the WPB/Royal Palm Beach area.

My buddy is from there and he told me that crime and drugs are simply taking over. Kids that used to play football are now selling dope. He said the young thugs are taking over the communities. Adults are essentially being held hostage. They don't say anything to the kids and can't reprimand them cause they're wild and people are scared.

There's still talent in the area but I think it's clearly fallen off. It ain't what it used to be.

Yes. I lived there for a while before getting the heck out. It is becoming increasingly foreign migrant with larger numbers of people from Central America not exactly football followers. Kind of like the transition that began in the Labelle area earlier.

There are still some good WRs and DBs in the lake area.

2018--Wellestey Madurie.... Clewiston.....WR/CB..speedster rea near national elite 100m--10.87 (eliet 10.80) and 200m 22.04 (elite 22.00)
Wellestey Madurie - Hudl

2019....Clewiston.... JA'MARKIS Weston..WR/S..big 6-3/190 and fast..last year a 100m in 11.22
Ja'Markis Weston - Hudl

2018...Jajuan Cherry....5-9/185...Okeechobee...good 100m sprinter and very physical - reminds me of Bandy
Jajuan Cherry - Hudl

2020...LaTarie Kinsler----DE----6-4/200 ..Pahokee..already explosive and physical..wonder how long he stays as the others mentioned above?
Mid-season.! LK 30! - LaTarie Kinsler highlights - Hudl

Last edited:
Advertisement
alot of the kids u see at royal palm n other schools in palm beach are muck kids...**** Gurvan Hall is one of them.

lots of movement of families east...and recruitment of the bg kids...they still produce div 1 kids yearly though

When I went to royal palm beach high school they started bussing kids into our school(from belle glade area) around 03. They have built other schools out here since then, so they probably get spread out more now.

Not shocked, but truly sorry to hear about the troubles in the Muck communities.

Happy to see Pahokee win a state title in 2016 (although I always like to see my North Florida 1A teams do well, too).

Pahokee, Glades Central, Clewiston, Immokalee are schools in rural South Florida that have produced more than their share of truly great football players.

I check for their scores every Friday night in the fall and hope they do well.

Last edited:
So much talent. But I read an article about the area after the real estate crash of 2006 to 2008 where whole neighborhoods were abandoned. Don't think it's ever recovered, and no new businesses have moved in to take the place of the old agricultural businesses that have left.

Quantino Allen ended up at Oregon State per 247. How does a kid from the Muck go all the way out to Oregon to play ball? He should have gone to play for Charlie Strong or one of the other Florida schools.

Advertisement
A lot of those kids parent worked for US Sugar and since it was forced to sell by the US government for water restoration. It's been slowly down sizing. A lot of those families have moved on to different industries and movement closer to coast as many have mentioned and some have even followed the sugar cane industry up to Louisiana. So to go the kids and athletes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There's a documentary on Netflix by James Patterson about "The Muck" called Murder of a Small Town. Its based around the story of the black football player that killed a white store owner in the community. It also follows Glades Central football team for a season... the documentary pretty much sums everything everyone else here has said about the area. Drug, crime, and poverty. Whats crazy is less then 10 miles is the beaches and multi-millionaires

So much talent. But I read an article about the area after the real estate crash of 2006 to 2008 where whole neighborhoods were abandoned. Don't think it's ever recovered, and no new businesses have moved in to take the place of the old agricultural businesses that have left.

Quantino Allen ended up at Oregon State per 247. How does a kid from the Muck go all the way out to Oregon to play ball? He should have gone to play for Charlie Strong or one of the other Florida schools.

Another factor to those already mentioned is a number of those poor people were sold homes in that leverage krap and next to nothing down payments around circa 2003-2006 and when the bubble popped the homes were worth half or less of what they paid so they just left. I taught school there and I heard the stories from families.

Last edited:
There's a documentary on Netflix by James Patterson about "The Muck" called Murder of a Small Town. Its based around the story of the black football player that killed a white store owner in the community. It also follows Glades Central football team for a season... the documentary pretty much sums everything everyone else here has said about the area. Drug, crime, and poverty. Whats crazy is less then 10 miles is the beaches and multi-millionaires

[video=youtube_share;3w5ijOU73VM]https://youtu.be/3w5ijOU73VM[/video]
[video=youtube_share;_bwnaGBVpAE]https://youtu.be/_bwnaGBVpAE[/video]

Advertisement

Another factor to those already mentioned is a numberof those poor people were sold homes in that leverage krap and next to nothing down payments around circaa 2003-2006 and when the bubble popped the homes were worth half or less of what hey paid so they just left. I taught school there and I heard the stories from families.
Yup we had a tire store branches in Clewiston, Belle Glade, South Bay, and Labelle. we were forced to close 3 of the stores due to lack of business from the mass exit of people leaving to find work.

[video=youtube_share;YUjXZEfgpD4]https://youtu.be/YUjXZEfgpD4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;-9wzCeXjCEo]https://youtu.be/-9wzCeXjCEo[/video]

Advertisement

this. it's unfortunate, but true.

couple this with the poor situation in their school system, which was always sketchy,, and it's a recipe for a permanent disaster.

Another factor to those already mentioned is a numberof those poor people were sold homes in that leverage krap and next to nothing down payments around circaa 2003-2006 and when the bubble popped the homes were worth half or less of what hey paid so they just left. I taught school there and I heard the stories from families.
Yup we had a tire store branches in Clewiston, Belle Glade, South Bay, and Labelle. we were forced to close 3 of the stores due to lack of business from the mass exit of people leaving to find work.

You know like I do first hand the economic problems there...never great but far less now.

there are still players coming out of the muckjust at a smaller quantity

You are correct. There are still plenty talent just smaller quantity. Rumph has been to my school in Clewiston multiple times
We have a talented rb. A run option QB and that jamarkis weston is a stud. May not ever grace D1 level but many will see a college education

How much has the increase in "transfer season" played a part in this?

Advertisement
Back