Belated UF Analysis - Moving Forward (Offense)

HighSeas

Sophomore
I planned on doing this the day after the game but the experience was too frustrating so I put it off until now. I broke down the offense and took notes particularly on the plays that failed - to assign blame appropriately. Instead of typing up those notes almost 2 weeks after the fact I figured I'd try to project what it all means for the rest of the season.

I think Enos proved he's a high-level OC but he will need to continue to adjust to the personnel given. The scripted first drive with the motion and quick-game was gorgeous until Jarren failed to deliver the ball to Harley on 2nd down in the red zone. Enos' use of formations will give most defenses fits but UF was a tough matchup because they stay firm with essentially a 5-man front and zone on the back-end. There aren't a lot of ways to exploit that scheme tactically without better protection up front. Some of the run concepts Enos showed will bear major fruit throughout the year. My favorites are the speed triple option shovel play (busted because of a botched pickup on UF stunt) and the G-lead toss pitch play that we ran twice in 3 plays out of different formations. The infamous Enos screen plays were hit or miss but that had more to do with execution than design. It's clear particularly from watching the 1st half that Enos understands design in terms of using alignment and personnel to create advantages.

Enos can improve in a few areas. One is running fewer Richtian spread isolation route concepts with slow developing routes and no checkdowns. This was admittedly a small percentage of overall passes and there was some integration with most of the concepts but these plays stress the protection and QB greatly. Speaking of which, we all know and expected the OL to be a weakness so perhaps it'd be wise to not leave 60 alone on an island several times like he's Joe Thomas? On obvious passing downs we shouldn't be seeing formations with the back and TE both to the boundary. Our Tackles can use all the help they can get. Also I'm not a fan of those play action pass plays where the OL sets like they're run blocking. Both times that scheme was run 60 was stuck in cement and never got out of his stance. He's too inexperienced to have multiple protection schemes thrown at him and it's no coincidence he froze on those plays. The last thing is the Martell usage. He was pretty successful as a decoy and noticeably drew eyes whenever he ran in motion. But he shouldn't be taking snaps as a slot running routes with the depth we have. And please stop using Osborn as the jet sweep guy - I like Osborn as a route runner but we have much better runners/playmakers.

OK onto the players:

15 will need to more decisive getting the ball out, tucking and running or throwing it away. There were a couple throws he missed because he didn't anticipate them. He sailed one ball when his weight distribution was poor. I believe in his talent and I think he will learn to manage the pocket better. I like the flashes he showed of being able to throw off-platform. I don't know if he will ever be a true anticipatory thrower but that won't hold him back from being great.

4 needed to do a better job of selling the inside break on his crucial "drop" in the endzone. He telegraphed the outbreak early on in his route and #1 already had outside leverage and was sitting on it. Route running is gonna be a sink or swim skill for JT at the next level.

9 was horrendous as a run blocker and missed assignments in every way possible. It's a technique issue with him as he can pass protect just fine. 85 was even worse and he struggles with dropping his weight and getting physical. He also almost caused a pick late in the game when he rounded his crossing route instead of flattening toward the ball to shield the defender. I always said I liked him as a vertical and jump ball threat but that's where his utility ends.

On the OL I was pleased with the performance of 65 who I was never a big fan of. He had his lapses in protection but was solid getting push in the run game. The other interior guys were also mostly good in the run game but tapered off overall in the 2nd half. 55 killed a couple plays in a row by getting bullrushed into the backfield and 51 had some struggles with leverage tilting his weight on his outside foot. 60 and 74 both showed flashes of pass protection skill but their sets are wildly inconsistent. 60 needs to get depth in his kickslide but he quick sets far too often causing him to open the gate with his back to the sideline and footwork all over the place. At least his issues are technique/mental as he actually handled the physicality part quite well consider his youth and lack of size. 74 is better at getting depth in his set but sometimes takes a poor landmark or uses poor hand timing/placement. Of the 2 I trust 74 more because his sets are more reliable and he gets out of his stance at least. He's impressive in the run game too with his ability to drop his big frame and sustain blocks.

Moving forward I think the OL will have a lot of success running the ball because the interior gets good push and executes deuce blocks, our backs are terrific and Enos can design good schemes out of a variety of formations. I'd like to see us use 60's mobility at some point assuming he maintains the job. I'd personally look for a replacement until he corrects his technical issues but I don't know where that would come from. Sliding 51 out to tackle wouldn't completely solve the edge rush problem and it would harm the run game potential. Perhaps the better solution is to provide more help on the edges and give more 'easy answer' checkdowns to Jarren on some of these pass concepts. I'd like to see a drag route that's not part of a mesh concept, for example, as mesh is too slow to develop. We almost gave up a safety on that play.

In the pass game obviously 9 will continue to be featured and 2 was open a lot as well. Hopefully someone else steps up and starts running decent routes because this scheme requires it above all else (speed, size, etc. are secondary). The screen game should be very explosive against mentally and physically tired defenses. Dallas is the total package and Harris is powerful with great contact balance and competitive toughness.

Not sure what else needs to be said but questions & comments are always welcome! Oh yeah we should roll over UNC btw. Any defense that doesn't have big roided-up slippery snap-count-timing Senior DEs and big gumby-armed corners should get steamrolled by this offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I planned on doing this the day after the game but the experience was too frustrating so I put it off until now. I broke down the offense and took notes particularly on the plays that failed to assign blame appropriately. Instead of typing up those notes almost 2 weeks after the fact I figured I'd try to project what it all means for the rest of the season.

I think Enos proved he's a high-level OC but he will need to continue to adjust to the personnel given. The scripted first drive with the motion and quick-game was gorgeous until Jarren failed to deliver the ball to Harley on 2nd down in the red zone. Enos' use of formations will give most defenses fits but UF was a tough matchup because they stay firm with essentially a 5-man front and zone on the back-end. There aren't a lot of ways to exploit that scheme tactically without better protection up front. Some of the run concepts Enos showed will bear major fruit throughout the year. My favorites are the speed triple option shovel play (busted because of a botched pickup on UF stunt) and the G-lead toss pitch play that we ran twice in 3 plays out of different formations. The infamous Enos screen plays were hit or miss but that had more to do with execution than design. It's clear particularly from watching the 1st half that Enos understands design in terms of using alignment and personnel to create advantages.

Enos can improve in a few areas. One is running fewer Richtian spread isolation route concepts with slow developing routes and no checkdowns. This was admittedly a small percentage of overall passes and there was some integration with most of the concepts but these plays stress the protection and QB greatly. Speaking of which, we all know and expected the OL to be a weakness so perhaps it'd be wise to not leave 60 alone on an island several times like he's Joe Thomas? On obvious passing downs we shouldn't be seeing formations with the back and TE both to the boundary. Our Tackles can use all the help they can get. Also I'm not a fan of those play action pass plays where the OL sets like they're run blocking. Both times that scheme was run 60 was stuck in cement and never got out of his stance. He's too inexperienced to have multiple protection schemes thrown at him and it's no coincidence he froze on those plays. The last thing is the Martell usage. He was pretty successful as a decoy and noticeably drew eyes whenever he ran in motion. But he shouldn't be taking snaps as a slot running routes with the depth we have. And please stop using Osborn as the jet sweep guy - I like Osborn as a route runner but we have much better runners/playmakers.

OK onto the players:

15 will need to more decisive getting the ball out, tucking and running or throwing it away. There were a couple throws he missed because he didn't anticipate them. He sailed one ball when his weight distribution was poor. I believe in his talent and I think he will learn to manage the pocket better. I like the flashes he showed of being able to throw off-platform. I don't know if he will ever be a true anticipatory thrower but that won't hold him back from being great.

4 needed to do a better job of selling the inside break on his crucial "drop" in the endzone. He telegraphed the outbreak early on in his route and #1 already had outside leverage and was sitting on it. Route running is gonna be a sink or swim skill for JT at the next level.

9 was horrendous as a run blocker and missed assignments in every way possible. It's a technique issue with him as he can pass protect just fine. 85 was even worse and he struggles with dropping his weight and getting physical. He also almost caused a pick late in the game when he rounded his crossing route instead of flattening toward the ball to shield the defender. I always said I liked him as a vertical and jump ball threat but that's where his utility ends.

On the OL I was pleased with the performance of 65 who I was never a big fan of. He had his lapses in protection but was solid getting push in the run game. The other interior guys were also mostly good in the run game but tapered off overall in the 2nd half. 55 killed a couple plays in a row by getting bullrushed into the backfield and 51 had some struggles with leverage tilting his weight on his outside foot. 60 and 74 both showed flashes of pass protection skill but their sets are wildly inconsistent. 60 needs to get depth in his kickslide but he quick sets far too often causing him to open the gate with his back to the sideline and footwork all over the place. At least his issues are technique/mental as he actually handled the physicality part quite well consider his youth and lack of size. 74 is better at getting depth in his set but sometimes takes a poor landmark or uses poor hand timing/placement. Of the 2 I trust 74 more because his sets are more reliable and he gets out of his stance at least. He's impressive in the run game too with his ability to drop his big frame and sustain blocks.

Moving forward I think the OL will have a lot of success running the ball because the interior gets good push and executes deuce blocks, our backs are terrific and Enos can design good schemes out of a variety of formations. I'd like to see us use 60's mobility at some point assuming he maintains the job. I'd personally look for a replacement until he corrects his technical issues but I don't know where that would come from. Sliding 51 out to tackle wouldn't completely solve the edge rush problem and it would harm the run game potential. Perhaps the better solution is to provide more help on the edges and give more 'easy answer' checkdowns to Jarren on some of these pass concepts. I'd like to see a drag route that's not part of a mesh concept, for example, as mesh is too slow to develop. We almost gave up a safety on that play.

In the pass game obviously 9 will continue to be featured and 2 was open a lot as well. Hopefully someone else steps up and starts running decent routes because this scheme requires it above all else (speed, size, etc. are secondary). The screen game should be very explosive against mentally and physically tired defenses. Dallas is the total package and Harris is powerful with great contact balance and competitive toughness.

Not sure what else needs to be said but questions & comments are always welcome! Oh yeah we should roll over UNC btw. Any defense that doesn't have big roided-up slippery snap-count-timing Senior DEs and big gumby-armed corners should get steamrolled by this offense.
How exactly did he prove he's a high level OC ?- his Qb got sacked 10 times and he did absolutely nothing to help his true freshman LT
who was beaten like a red-headed step child all night long.

I planned on doing this the day after the game but the experience was too frustrating so I put it off until now. I broke down the offense and took notes particularly on the plays that failed to assign blame appropriately. Instead of typing up those notes almost 2 weeks after the fact I figured I'd try to project what it all means for the rest of the season.

OK onto the players:

Always appreciate your insight. You are one of the best posters we have, imo.

Your take on Mallory is harsh. He has obvious limitations (not an in-line guy at all), but I’m surprised you are so down on him. To me, he seems to have the size, speed & hands to be a difference maker. Time will tell.

How exactly did he prove he's a high level OC ?- his Qb got sacked 10 times and he did absolutely nothing to help his true freshman LT

There was a lot of youth out there ( 4 new starters & 1 true fresher) and I think the coaches were committed to letting the kids to fight their way through it, which they almost did.

Advertisement
There was a lot of youth out there ( 4 new starters & 1 true fresher) and I think the coaches were committed to letting the kids to fight their way through it, which they almost did.
Wouldn't your job as a coach be to do everything you can to ensure a win ? Don't think it was let them fight and see what happens.

Advertisement

I haven't been on the board so I didn't realize how polarizing Enos is right now. If you read through the post you'll see I pointed out the flaws in his gameplan. But when I analyze I separate the process from results. Enos showed enough evidence of his skill as a play designer and most of his calls were successful in their design. Results were inconsistent mostly because of poor execution, especially relating to blocking techniques. Enos is not responsible for that and my impression was that guys were mentally prepared and knew their assignments in his scheme. We didn't see players lined up incorrectly or running wrong routes and that shouldn't be overlooked.

You can't overreact to one game. Enos will identify what his personnel can succeed at and adjust going forward. He will continue to add formations and motion wrinkles that challenge defenses. It's obvious he van design plays to get guys open, beat coverage concepts, get numbers advantages in thw run game, etc. When it all integrates and the execution improves we will be unstoppable.

Always appreciate your insight. You are one of the best posters we have, imo.

Your take on Mallory is harsh. He has obvious limitations (not an in-line guy at all), but I’m surprised you are so down on him. To me, he seems to have the size, speed & hands to be a difference maker. Time will tell.

Appreciate the kind words and the feeling is mutual. I didn't think I was being harsh on Mallory. A TE who is a vertical seam threat and TD scorer is very valuable. I just don't see the total package as far as blocking and intermediate route running but he is still developing. When he was being recruited I liked him as a detached move TE and that remains the case.

HighSeas, what's your football background? You seem pretty knowledgeable.

Pretty ordinary. Played for 10 years, retired from concussions, continued studying the game. I'm better at general analysis than technical football knowledge tbh but I try.

The players were in a position to win. Multiple times.

Yeah this is the simplest way to explain it. Maybe a handful of plays were destined to fail by design in this matchup.

I'm boarding a plane soon so I may not be able to respond to posts quickly but I'll return to this thread eventually if there are responses.

Enos proved he's a slow, plodding, boring coordinator with far too much confidence in his freshman tackles, and not much else.

Yes, the first scripted series was excellent. Yes, it's tough to call an offense when your tackles are turnstiles. Yes, he did leave 6+ men in to protect on a number of plays (several of which still resulted in sacks). But overall he was WAYYYYYYY too slow, WAYYYYYY too plodding, WAYYYYYY too boring and got away from what was very successful early in the game. It's a long season with a ton of young kids on that side, but Enos did very little to instill any confidence from me. We held the ball for 36 minutes and ran 66 plays. That's awful. Hurry the **** up dude.

Advertisement
The outlook on Enos from some of these posters on here would look a lot of different if we hit some of those plays that we had receivers wide open , jt4 or Jordans opportunity for tds in the 4th. or even if that holding penalty on Cam’s run wasn’t called. Bottom line guys were consistently getting open we just got to hit them

What I didn’t like by enos in the 4th is after we got 2 turnovers specifically the first one after Amari’s int I didnt like The sequence of play calls right there

Enos proved he's a slow, plodding, boring coordinator with far too much confidence in his freshman tackles, and not much else.

Yes, the first scripted series was excellent. Yes, it's tough to call an offense when your tackles are turnstiles. Yes, he did leave 6+ men in to protect on a number of plays (several of which still resulted in sacks). But overall he was WAYYYYYYY too slow, WAYYYYYY too plodding, WAYYYYYY too boring and got away from what was very successful early in the game. It's a long season with a ton of young kids on that side, but Enos did very little to instill any confidence from me. We held the ball for 36 minutes and ran 66 plays. That's awful. Hurry the **** up dude.

Preposterous knee jerk much?

Why would we want to run more plays, with the lead in the fourth quarter, with a struggling OL and a first game starter at QB?

Maybe you should try taking a step back and looking at this game objectively.

If someone were to tell you we would have a 20-17 lead in the fourth, with the ball on their 11 yard line with a chance to ice the game would you have taken it?

One catch by Thomas or even the one questionable hold on Mallory before that and we are up 27-17 and that game is OVER.

Forget about your boring, plodding nonsense. He called a game that put us in a postion to drop almost 30 points on a **** good defense in his very first game.

That's the reality, not your desire for us to be something we aren't yet.

This dude is one of the best posters on here. Maybe if you kept reading you’d learn something.
Enos may become a high level oc, but to crown him after the uf game is waaaayyy to early. A few adjustments by Enos and we win that game.

I'm not one who wants to see Enos fail, I want him and the team to win another NC.

The poster may have knowledge, but I'm not given to hyperbole, so he lost me right there.

Advertisement
The outlook on Enos from some of these posters on here would look a lot of different if we hit some of those plays that we had receivers wide open , jt4 or Jordans opportunity for tds in the 4th. or even if that holding penalty on Cam’s run wasn’t called. Bottom line guys were consistently getting open we just got to hit them

What I didn’t like by enos in the 4th is after we got 2 turnovers specifically the first one after Amari’s int I didnt like The sequence of play calls right there
I've always thought if you get a turnover in plus territory, you should take a shot towards the endzone. I don't remember if that happened or not.

I haven't been on the board so I didn't realize how polarizing Enos is right now.

You can't overreact to one game.
Logically, Enos shouldn't be polarizing, especially after the first game.

Theory A: We have a contingent of football geniuses who know so much about coaching that they work in other fields because it just wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Theory B: People just like to run around like their hair is on fire.

Nice breakdown. As an aside, the 2nd down play in the redzone on the first drive - the route he should have thrown to was Mallory in the EZ corner. Malloy was lined up on a DB and had the DB flatfooted when he made his break to the flag. I thought that would have been a better chance than the covered harley crosser.

Preposterous knee jerk much?

Why would we want to run more plays, with the lead in the fourth quarter, with a struggling OL and a first game starter at QB?

Maybe you should try taking a step back and looking at this game objectively.

If someone were to tell you we would have a 20-17 lead in the fourth, with the ball on their 11 yard line with a chance to ice the game would you have taken it?

One catch by Thomas or even the one questionable hold on Mallory before that and we are up 27-17 and that game is OVER.

Forget about your boring, plodding nonsense. He called a game that put us in a postion to drop almost 30 points on a **** good defense in his very first game.

That's the reality, not your desire for us to be something we aren't yet.

66 plays for 301 yards. 4.56 YPP. 101st in the country. Scored 20 points. 101st in the country.

Mrs. Enos, I liked the hire of your husband. Especially when you consider the incompetence he was replacing. But his offense was nowhere near good enough last week. Sorry.

And I love the if's and but's around here. But but but....IF Mallory doesn't hold!! First of all, he held. Secondly, it was ON A FAKE FIELD GOAL BECAUSE THE OFFENSE GOT THE BALL ON THE GATOR 25 WITH A CHANCE TO ICE THE GAME AND RAN THE BALL 3 TIMES FOR 9 YARDS. Then, after the penalty, he ran 3 more plays for a total of 1 yard. First and 10 on your opponents 25, chance to step on their throat up 3 in the 4th quarter, and you run 6 plays for a total of 10 yards. Sorry ma'am, not gonna work around here.

He called a game to put us in a position to drop almost 30 points LOL. Why stop there? We almost scored 60 too. But we didn't. We scored 20. On barely 300 yards when holding the ball for 36 minutes. UF was absolutely awful on offense in that game. If they're remotely competent, the game is a 2-3 score win for them. They did everything they could to give us the game.....and give Miami's defense credit too. TWICE you get the ball deep in their territory in the 2nd half and you score 0 points. ZERO.

Mrs. Enos, please tell Dan that he needs to average more than 4.56 yards per play going forward. Mark Richt was a full yard better than that last year with an Arkansas St baseball player playing QB :sick:

Advertisement
Back