Before Richt was hired

Advertisement
There's more talk about people not liking the Richt hire than there was when he was hired. This means one thing, something doesn't add up.

I hoped he would be reinvigorated coaching at his alma mater, but I felt like he underachieved at UGA. When I said as much, people jumped all over that blaming the UGA admin, saying we we're getting Richt OC circa FSU, and we'll be ragaining our spot at the top. There were dozens of excuses for his perennial underachieving and posters even said, what did you expect since he had Meyer and Saban to coach against. That on e cracked me up since both are still coaching.

Some serious revisionist history on display here.

great post. My sentiments exactly. I was very happy with the hire when announced. I hate Finebaum when he said this job was a dumpster fire but he wasn't far off so yes, Richt was an upgrade. Don't know of any hotshot types that were clamoring for this job.

As for the posters who claim that Butch was all but signed to be here before we got Richt, I assume you have that on deep background from the UM side of it, not Davis', because Butch had TWO major strikes against him coming here: (1) LEft Miami holding a bag of dog crap only days before signing day when he bolted for Cleveland; (2) he carried the stain of NCAA violations at UNC. Miami admin has been for a long time leery of more problems, and that was before Shapiro- gate that somehow Miami skated on. There as NO WAY Miami would have risked the program, and that is precisely what would be at risk if we got caught one more time, to hire Butch. I don't but that for a minute. Why risk the death penalty or severe sanctions on a coach that did exactly what? Sucked at Cleveland? Did ok at UNC?
Your not only an idiot...but Liar...

He was never on any list I had because I didn't think he'd be available, nor did I think he had legit interest. I also didn't think the school would pony up the money for an established coaching name.

I wanted Butch, but was happy with Richt because I believed he was basically the same guy but without NCAA baggage.

Advertisement
He was never on any list I had because I didn't think he'd be available, nor did I think he had legit interest. I also didn't think the school would pony up the money for an established coaching name.

I wanted Butch, but was happy with Richt because I believed he was basically the same guy but without NCAA baggage.
what NCAA baggage are you talking about ? after numerous investigations into the NC cheating scandal, including one ordered by the governor of NC, Butch Davis was EXONERATED 100% !
just curious, if you knew that .... why didn't you include that ?

I thought he'd be good for 10ish wins per season with a slim shot at a NC, but that was fine. Last year looked pretty good to me- yeah there were the losses and we looked like trash in some of the wins, but we won 10 and surely he'd get that sorted next year. I figured 5 years of national relevance followed by a true savage (who we'd be able to get because he'd see how close we were and know he could win it all at Miami) who would bring us glory.

I know this will be a source of CIS ridicule, but I really was fine with Richt the 10 win guy for a few years. I'm not dilutional, I didn't expect an immediate return to the top, I just wanted a good step in that direction from him. So my problem isn't that he's not brought us to the top, my problem is that he's losing the same embarrassing-*** games the last 3 clowns embarrassingly lost. There was no need to pay $4 mil per year and then extend it for this type of nonsense. I'm more than willing to take $500k per year to not motivate my team and stand around the sidelines generally appearing as if I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sports writers keep mentioning how the talent isn't there yet, and they're right. Sort of. The talent isn't there to get past Clemson, but it's there to win these last 3 games. It's there to score 40 pt/game. It's there to win 10 games per year.

And that's all I asked of the guy.

And he's not doing it.

It's embarrassing.

It needs to stop.

Now.

That’s what I was expecting Miami to do and for them to hire Dan Mullen. But when richt was fired I assumed that was a better option. Guess I was wrong

Leach would have been much better than Fat Al or Corch Shannon.
Leach would have put up criminal stats at Miami. Dabo vs Leach every year would be so much fun to watch. And Leach would talk so much shxt about Dabo.

That’s what I was expecting Miami to do and for them to hire Dan Mullen. But when richt was fired I assumed that was a better option. Guess I was wrong

Richt sucking it doesn't make mullet a better option. That guy's a clown, and he's overachieving right now.

Advertisement
Richt sucking it doesn't make mullet a better option. That guy's a clown, and he's overachieving right now.

I said I was expecting Miami to hire Mullen. I do t think he’s a very good coach but he practically begged for this job on multiple occasions. We could’ve stolen him for way less than CMR

There's more talk about people not liking the Richt hire than there was when he was hired. This means one thing, something doesn't add up.

I hoped he would be reinvigorated coaching at his alma mater, but I felt like he underachieved at UGA. When I said as much, people jumped all over that blaming the UGA admin, saying we we're getting Richt OC circa FSU, and we'll be ragaining our spot at the top. There were dozens of excuses for his perennial underachieving and posters even said, what did you expect since he had Meyer and Saban to coach against. That on e cracked me up since both are still coaching.

Some serious revisionist history on display here.

Absolutely. I own my chit. I even tried to hype him as Jimmy Johnson situation on this piece, a good coach playing against tough competition, comes to So. Fla with this recruiting ground and wrecks havoc.

However, if I'm being honest, I was trying to swallow the fact that Butch wasn't coming although all indications pointed to him coming so I tried to be the pom-pom poster on here for Richt since he was the new coach. But I never wanted him here, like at all. I was more in favor of Kirby when a poster posted about him potentially being a possibility. Regardless, I wasn't in favor b/c I remember how he dissed us when we offered him the job a couple of times, how he rooted against us playing LSU, and his UGA teams were falling apart for about 5 years prior to him taking the job. I remembered that, but I was trying to be a good fan....now, I wish I never tried to be that guy. I wish he never was offered this job, period.

what NCAA baggage are you talking about ? after numerous investigations into the NC cheating scandal, including one ordered by the governor of NC, Butch Davis was EXONERATED 100% !
just curious, if you knew that .... why didn't you include that ?
It's the perception the comes with it. I shouldn't have to spell this out.

I used to ridicule him when he was at UbaGA for all the same reasons I hate him here. And I used to clown UM fans who wanted him here when we was at UbaGA.

Once he got here, I tried to search for some positives and tried to stay positive as long as possible because I knew we were stuck with him. But I always knew he was a 9 win guy who would get gang-banged a couple times a year.

This motherfcker lost to UF with Treon Harris at QB and McEltooth as HC. Let that sink in.

Don't forget Ron Zook during his "prime years" at UGA.

Advertisement
i didnt have a list. lots of bad hires over the last decade has made me indifferent these days. Richt's best decision turned out being hiring Manny and I hated that at first but you can see Manny has gotten better every year and seems to be a great fit. I can see him being the next HC and if he can find a real offensive coach, we may have something.

Advertisement
When we fired Golden I wasn't on any train till I started hearing the names that were surfing (Schiano, Mullens, Cristobal). I was like naahhh, I didn't like any of those candidates with Schiano being the worse one. If Richt underacheived for 15 year then Schiano would be worse because he hasn't done sh*t in 11 years at Rutgers IN THE BIG EAST. Remember Miami, VT left the BigE in 2003 and Schiano got there in 2000. So that means Schiano in a conference with just WVu, BC, Cinncy, USF, Cuse, Pitt, Uconn and Louisville for 8/11 years he was there he did do JACK SHT.

My thinking for Schiano being worse then Cristobal is because with Cristobal at least he would be young, motivated, great recruiter, coming from a championship program at Alabama. He would also emphasize being physical because all former OL coach turned HC emphasizes that.

With Mullen I didn't think he would recruit well enough to win. Also the 2-15 vs AP record in 8 years had me like nah. Also his attitude was corny to me. Also the reports of some of his interview like saying "Hire me, I'm smart at Football." It was a no for me dawg.

I wanted Davis, and no not because I have this fantasy that goes around the board that he could recreate a once and a life time roster but because it he knew what Miami Hurricane football is suppose to look like. He was good at finding a 3 star player who had All ACC potential and it was proven evident at UNC. We're just to down in a hole to far to get 5 and highly touted 4 stars so I wanted a coach who could locate 3 star player not just in florida but nationally. Add that to the fact I can't trust this school to go to a lower level and hire someone who wouldn't be a carbon copy of Al Golden. I mean, really, all Golden did was bring in a f*cking binder with pages he wrote himself and got the job.

When Richt became available I was 65-70% sure we should hire him. Unlike Davis, he was still in coaching and like everyone else I thought 9-10 wins in the SEC would translate to 10-11 wins at Miami in this division by year 3. I also based my assumption that if we could get just a solid coach in here, recruited florida well, that we would be competing at a high level. I just felt like Richt would be to good of a coach and recruiter to underachieve in this division. Boy was I wrong. It like Richt's changed his coaching algorithm so he could coach down to his competition in the ACC so he can continue to be an underachieving 9-3 coach even in the ACC coastal. All common sense and logic says Richt should be dominating this division at Miami but now that I think about "Richt" and "Dominant" doesn't belong in the same sentence because Richt is to much of a nice guy (see '17 FSU post game reaction to players who had been mocked by FSU for 7 years get shutdown). I started to have doubt about Richt after 2016 ND. Many here started to doubt Richt after Pitt but losing to a 4-8 ND and VT was the moment for me. Completely out coached for majority of those games and lost to an AWFUL ND team.

I'm sure your thinking "why I would start having doubt about Richt in his 1st season." 1: Manny fixed the defense really over night. 2: At the time we all thought Kaaya had first round potential so with Richt being a "offensive/QB guru" even with a below average OL our offense should have still been much, MUCH better then '15. You can't have a VASTLY improved defense with a QB you think could be a 1st round prospect and lose to UNC at home (putting up just 16 points) and 4-8 ND. 3: This was Richt's 16th year as a HC playing lesser competition with a vastly improved defense, a talented RB in Walton, and a guy everyone felt was a 1st round prospect at QB and all he could mustard was 8-4? Larry Scott led us to a 8-4 finish the year before. Red flag. 4: Losing to Jimbo and FSU in year 1 sucks, but understandable. Getting out coached as badly as Richt did to VT under their new HC first rodeo in a big P5 game, inexcusable.

Before you say that's unfair Jim Harbaugh took a 5-7 Michigan team to 10-2 in a harder division with basically no QB play.

Last edited:
I was a Patterson first guy, probably still am, even though he is having a bad year. Getting elite recruits to UM has been tough, and I wanted a guy who has proven repeatedly that he can do more with less. I "think" Patterson is still one of those guys, but there are others. I was completely against Richt, but accepted it and hoped for the best. Richt was and is the exact opposite of what I wanted. He is a coach who has repeatedly proven to do less with more.

Advertisement
Back