Baseball RPI and the Postseason

I'll be the first to come back and eat crow for the moment. Warren Nolan's site has us up to #42 after the sweep. But we absolutely have to go better than 17-12 on the flip side of the schedule. The only top 70 RPI team remaining on the schedule is #13 Clemson. We have to go something like 23-6, which gets us back into the hosting discussion with 40 wins. Our one redeeming quality at this point is being top 5 in the ACC.

I'm not eating crow, because I said at the time, we wouldn't make the postseason, and I stand by that, we wouldn't have. Now, if the season ended today, we would likely make the postseason, moving up 30 spots in the RPI after the sweep. But, get swept next weekend and we're probably back on the outside looking in.

Advertisement
The cost differential between private and public school has increased a lot since the early 90's. Hey if they want to get rid of Morris I have no problem with that, not sure if it will make much of a difference though.

3 run homer snd of the day for Collins! Miami up 9-5 going for the sweep. Morris's confidence in Collins after an awful start is beginning to pay off.

Rice hasn't missed a beat with the stricter rules. TCU has gotten better. Vandy is better. Miami, Tulane, Stanford and USC are worse, but it's not all private schools that are down. You can win as a private school, and with the talent in South Florida, if we had the right coach, I think we could win. We might not be where we were from the 70s-2005 (or whenever you want to draw the line) but we certainly can win more than we've been winning the last 8-10 years.

While a lot of the comments on here are warranted, this is an exciting young team with a very high ceiling. I hope they get to the playoffs, and gain some needed experience for the next two years. Morris is probably done when his contract expires, and Gino takes over (and it's deserved, regardless of who his father is). Truth is, in college sports these days, it is simply too taxing for these older guys to compete at high levels year in and year out. Nobody likes the product on the field the last several years, but Morris is still one of the best in the game as long as he doesn't overstay his welcome.

I'm not eating crow, because I said at the time, we wouldn't make the postseason, and I stand by that, we wouldn't have. Now, if the season ended today, we would likely make the postseason, moving up 30 spots in the RPI after the sweep. But, get swept next weekend and we're probably back on the outside looking in.

I only say that because I made the comment that we won't make it at all. That was obviously premature, and I certainly didn't see a sweep.

By the way, we can thank Florida for helping out our RPI. Those cats are up to #7 after a pretty miserable start.

Advertisement
Another by the way......you can eliminate about ten teams that are currently in front of us. Some of them are northern teams who mathematically can't sustain it or teams with losing records. Realistically we can say that we are in the low 30's.

The point is with only 11.7 scholies and being a private school it puts us at a huge disadvantage. Winning a NC and regularly going to Omaha might be a thing of the past no matter who the coach is.

Like NotSince1985 said, those scholly limits have been in place since '91, so it's an excuse! Does it put us at a disadvantage? Yes, but talent and coaching will still get you into the postseason. By saying the days of going to Omaha are over is a little far fetched and we might need to step back from the ledge because our program is not that dire.... Yet. Lol

The point is with only 11.7 scholies and being a private school it puts us at a huge disadvantage. Winning a NC and regularly going to Omaha might be a thing of the past no matter who the coach is.

Like NotSince1985 said, those scholly limits have been in place since '91, so it's an excuse! Does it put us at a disadvantage? Yes, but talent and coaching will still get you into the postseason. By saying the days of going to Omaha are over is a little far fetched and we might need to step back from the ledge because our program is not that dire.... Yet. Lol

I think the point is that, despite the fact that those scholly limits have been in place a long time, they impact us more now because the cost of attending UM (or any private school) has skyrocketed since the early 90s.

Advertisement
You said we are not going to make the post season at this rate. Whenever you take and project with a comment like that, negative nellie attitude, then people will rightfully challenge you. If asked before the series if we would sweep NC State you would have said no. You think we stink, ok, you were called out, admit you were wrong. I prefer to be an optimist, this team will end up in the Tourney, in my opinion and I do not freak out after a bad two weeks. Get a grip and cheer not jeer.

Advertisement
Who are you talking to?

You and you know it.

Why? Can you read? Obviously not, because if you could, you wouldn't be talking to me. Show where anything I said "wrong." Oh, you can't. I said as of today (when I posted), we wouldn't make the postseason, and then backed it up with FACTS, you know, those pesky things your posts don't have. We were #82 in RPI when I made my post. No team has made the postseason in the last 10 years with an RPI better than #57. You know, facts, **** facts. I never said we wouldn't make the postseason....period. I said, based on our RPI today. Today. Not at the end of the year. Not after one more game. Today. Understand? No, probably not. Actually, yes, you probably do, but it doesn't fit your agenda so you make **** up and put words into people's mouths. Why don't you save your self righteous crap for the people who rip Morris and call for him to be fired? Here's a hint....I've never done that on here. I really don't care.

Who are you talking to?

You and you know it.

Why? Can you read? Obviously not, because if you could, you wouldn't be talking to me. Show where anything I said "wrong." Oh, you can't. I said as of today (when I posted), we wouldn't make the postseason, and then backed it up with FACTS, you know, those pesky things your posts don't have. We were #82 in RPI when I made my post. No team has made the postseason in the last 10 years with an RPI better than #57. You know, facts, **** facts. I never said we wouldn't make the postseason....period. I said, based on our RPI today. Today. Not at the end of the year. Not after one more game. Today. Understand? No, probably not. Actually, yes, you probably do, but it doesn't fit your agenda so you make **** up and put words into people's mouths. Why don't you save your self righteous crap for the people who rip Morris and call for him to be fired? Here's a hint....I've never done that on here. I really don't care.

All right - now we got you cheering for the canes!! Think about negative posts before making them!!

PS - Rice has missed a beat, has not been back to CWS since 2008, when Miami made their last appearance. Rice routinely loses games to Sam Houston, Lamar and Stephen F Austin they never lost before, sound familiar. Please do homework. TCU is down some also. Live in Houston, family friend played for TCU. PS - any one who thought the RPI of 82 was what it would have ended up when teams with 5 games started playing more and losing, please! Dont start a negative post saying we stink and as of right now we will not do squat and then get all hurt when people get in your face, get that righteous attitude outta here! Cheer for the
Canes!
The cost differential between private and public school has increased a lot since the early 90's. Hey if they want to get rid of Morris I have no problem with that, not sure if it will make much of a difference though.

3 run homer snd of the day for Collins! Miami up 9-5 going for the sweep. Morris's confidence in Collins after an awful start is beginning to pay off.

Rice hasn't missed a beat with the stricter rules. TCU has gotten better. Vandy is better. Miami, Tulane, Stanford and USC are worse, but it's not all private schools that are down. You can win as a private school, and with the talent in South Florida, if we had the right coach, I think we could win. We might not be where we were from the 70s-2005 (or whenever you want to draw the line) but we certainly can win more than we've been winning the last 8-10 years.

Advertisement
We all understand your pithy little post. Fact - RPI was loaded with teams that had not played many games and will plummet. Fact - RPI at the end of the season is much different than one halfway. Fact - do your homework on Rice and TCU. Fact - you are very touchy! If you do not want people putting words in your mouth - take the doomsday stuff and poor use of bad facts outta here. How about that Brown team! They were top 10 and now are gone! But they would have made the field using your logic!! Please. Miami RPI up to 34 now after 4 wins - you really think if the RPI was stable and accurate that we would have jumped 48 spots, really?? Understand, no, I do not think you can or get why we have no time for whiners with an agenda.

We all understand your pithy little post. Fact - RPI was loaded with teams that had not played many games and will plummet. Fact - RPI at the end of the season is much different than one halfway. Fact - do your homework on Rice and TCU. Fact - you are very touchy! If you do not want people putting words in your mouth - take the doomsday stuff and poor use of bad facts outta here. How about that Brown team! They were top 10 and now are gone! But they would have made the field using your logic!! Please. Miami RPI up to 34 now after 4 wins - you really think if the RPI was stable and accurate that we would have jumped 48 spots, really?? Understand, no, I do not think you can or get why we have no time for whiners with an agenda.

Fact, my facts are still correct and you're still wrong. Nothing I said was off base, and your rant (s) don't change that. Also, please note that was my first post on the matter. I'm not a "whiner." I don't call for Morris' head like half of the posters on here. I stated a fact, which was accurate. Our RPI is better now, so if the season ended today, we'd make it. If you want to talk about being satisfied with where our program is that's another topic, and one I wasn't bringing up. You're taking your anger and frustration out on me, and it's quite comical, but greatly misplaced since I'm not in that "crowd" that you mistakenly lumped me in.

Last edited:
You are a whiner. Just posting that observation makes you one. Clear, good. No anger, frustration yes. Low tolerance for folks who do not know how to cheer an organization on and hide behind semantics! I was not being negative just posting facts. Right. Looked thru your old posts, looking for those positive posts! Where is your post - "Hurricanes up to 34, if tournament started today we would be in!!" I rest my case. Later.

Advertisement
Back