Baseball RPI and the Postseason

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
As of right now, the latest RPI I saw was #82. Currently at 14-12, 5-4 in the ACC with an RPI of 82, I don't see how we'd even make the postseason. This is not a fire Morris thread, there are plenty of those, but do people actually realize that unless we start winning a lot more, we're not even going to make the regionals? I see a lot of people saying, "We're going to be a #3 seed again, Fire Morris." Um...guys, we're not going to make the postseason at this rate.

Advertisement
I don't think it is quite that bad yet. Hypothetically, if the field was being announced tomorrow, I think we would be in the field.

The most alarming part of the season is the mid-week games, specifically the 3 game losing stretch to Bethune-Cookman (231) , Stetson (253) and UCF (130).

From a series perspective, we are getting the results everyone would have assumed at the beginning of the year.

W against Maine, Nova, BC and a down U*** team

L against FSU, UVA and GT

The midweek games always get me. We should win them on sheer talent alone, but to play devil's advocate, these teams live to play a "traditional powerhouse" and usually pitch one of their top guys when we throw out Bryan Garcia or Beauperez (who pitched really well last night). Not to mention these are not your normal mid-majors, any D1 school in Florida is very scary. It's also baseball, even the best teams in the NCAA lose 15+ games a year.

Outside of Dale, Thompson and Abreu, all of a sudden Palmer leads the team with an average of .258

Our bullpen has been so ******* terrible, we roll out Enrique Sosa in a tie game late against UVA. To his credit, he pitched one scoreless before imploding, but this goes to show how awful our bullpen is, and I mean awful.

We play NC State this weekend who have two of the most exciting players in all of baseball and are currently ranked 25th with an RPI of 46.

Last year the lowest at-large RPI was UC-Santa Barbara at 57. In 2012 it was Indiana State with 49. In 2011 it was St. Johns with 54. In 2010 it was NC State with 48. In 2009 it was Southern Miss at 57. In 2008 it was St. Johns at 58. In 2007 it was Troy at 54. In 2006 it was San Diego at 57. In 2005 it was St. Johns at 55. In 2004 it was Middle Tennessee State at 54.

Based on that, if the season ended today, with an RPI of 82, there is no way in **** we get an at-large bid.

Advertisement
Based on that, if the season ended today, with an RPI of 82, there is no way in **** we get an at-large bid.

This. There is nothing on our resume that would get us into the regionals today, tomorrow, or a month from now. We are not making it, and the crown jewel accomplishment of our athletic program will come to an end. Then, in a few years, Florida State will pass us and break the record.

I know that we've had multiple AD's, but the signs have been there and no one did a thing about it. Instead of having someone like Mark Kingston in his third year in Coral Gables competing for titles, we have let the program sink to non-post season levels.

Baseball's just a funny sport...we could get hot, and get some key victories here from this point on that would help us make the postseason. ****, we've shown that we're capable of making a run in the ACC Tourney, and could get at least to the championship game if not win it. At that point, an ACC Tourney champ in Miami wouldn't miss the postseason, no doubt...and it'd be a tough call to keep them out of the postseason as a Tourney finalist if we just got that far.

However, we just don't seem cohesive. I do like the change in S&C with bringing in Brian Gabriel, as you can tell a difference in how some of these kids have grown physically. We mishandle our pitching staff, we utilize small ball way too often, and there's not really any fire to the team...and hasn't been in a long time. Most of all--we haven't been solid defensively in eons, it seems.

Gotta find somebody that will fix that. Morris just isn't the answer anymore. Honestly--the only 2 guys I'd keep off of this current staff are DiMare and Gabriel. Morris/Arteaga can go elsewhere. Time to shake up the status quo, and get back to winning ballgames we should, and competing for titles.

Would also help if they raised the scholarship limit from 11.7. Huge disadvantage for private schools.

Advertisement
The point is with only 11.7 scholies and being a private school it puts us at a huge disadvantage. Winning a NC and regularly going to Omaha might be a thing of the past no matter who the coach is.

Advertisement
The point is with only 11.7 scholies and being a private school it puts us at a huge disadvantage. Winning a NC and regularly going to Omaha might be a thing of the past no matter who the coach is.

Yes, but we won, and won big with those rules in place from 1991-2003ish. That was my point.

The cost differential between private and public school has increased a lot since the early 90's. Hey if they want to get rid of Morris I have no problem with that, not sure if it will make much of a difference though.

3 run homer snd of the day for Collins! Miami up 9-5 going for the sweep. Morris's confidence in Collins after an awful start is beginning to pay off.

Advertisement
Hey if they want to get rid of Morris I have no problem with that, not sure if it will make much of a difference though.

Then we should absolutely get rid of Morris and pay some local high school coach $100,000 to come in and get us to regionals. But many of us still have higher expectations than that. There are still plenty of smart kids and/or rich kids who can manage the high cost of UM and hit and play defense. The bottom line is that we missed those kids for too many consecutive years.

I'll be the first to come back and eat crow for the moment. Warren Nolan's site has us up to #42 after the sweep. But we absolutely have to go better than 17-12 on the flip side of the schedule. The only top 70 RPI team remaining on the schedule is #13 Clemson. We have to go something like 23-6, which gets us back into the hosting discussion with 40 wins. Our one redeeming quality at this point is being top 5 in the ACC.

Yes, but we won, and won big with those rules in place from 1991-2003ish. That was my point.

Playing an easier schedule. FWIW.

Easier, but not easy. We still played Florida, Florida State (6 times) and usually Texas, at least 1 West Coast power, other ACC teams like GT or UNC or NC State, as well as FIU in midweek games back when FIU was actually very good. It wasn't an ACC slate, but it wasn't as if we were playing New York Tech 56 times.

Advertisement
Back