Baseball Recruiting

It's all from showcases. They don't give a **** the numbers you're kid is putting up in 8th grade. They don't even care much anymore what their high school stats are - they just focus on the performances and metrics in showcases and travel ball. The recruiters and scouts go to fewer and fewer high school games every year and aren't soliciting as much input from HS coaches.
Yes it is crazy they are offering that young, and I don't think they should. It's non-binding, however. That kid that hit puberty early and dominated can easily get overtaken by his peers once they catch up physically.
Anyway, thinking about getting your son recruited before middle school is a waste of time. I don't remember the number, but the percentage of kids that play after Little League (about age 12) is about 10%. So 90% of those kids that had baseball dreams are gone after 12. It's even more by the time they get to high school. They lose interest, play another sport, or just find out that they're not good enough to keep advancing in the sport.
If your kid is still going strong by his junior year, then get him showcase exposure and start the process. The chances of him playing college ball are minute, so just enjoy the process and the time spent watching and coaching him.
Can’t offer until august of your junior year now. You are right about showcases. Oddly tryouts for some of these national travel teams are a better ways to get looks than showcases. There’s a few here in Tampa. If you go spend the $750 for a PG or PBR showcase it’s not an elite event. Anyone with $750 can send their kid in but trying out for a top ten team is invite only. That’s where it’s at. I know multiple committed kids and all of them committed in 2 specific events or tryouts. Unfortunately my kid was hurt during the time they could offer freshman and sophomores now he has to wait until august. It also sucks that Miami got 3 lefty pitching commits for the 2026 class while he was hurt!!!! He’s up to 87mph from the left side as a true 2026 (15 years old) so he going somewhere he just wanted Miami. I do know and like the Parker kid Miami has a commitment from for 2026. He’s going to be a good one. 6’3” 16 year old. Great family and he’s a gamer

Last edited:
Advertisement
5’6 150. He better have next level athletic traits like Bradfield at Vandy or this is not encouraging.

Maybe some measurables online somewhere.
IMG_3383.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Class of 2024 is encouraging. Top 5 class on paper. (Lsu’s class is absurd). I think most will end up on campus the way the draft shakes out now. Collera prob the only definite goner as of right this moment.

Just find a way to get Shields, King and Carabello on campus. Huge upsides and young for their class. So they likely aren’t the typical closer to maxed out guys you see a lot of that Miami hasn’t seemed to squeeze more out of in recent years. So until this staff proves otherwise I have to believe it continues.

My boy is raving about Tate DeRias. But said he will likely need a year to adjust. But he will be a high Iq kid coming from Gloucester Catholic in NJ that is for sure. They pride themselves on that.

Advertisement
Class of 2024 is encouraging. Top 5 class on paper. (Lsu’s class is absurd). I think most will end up on campus the way the draft shakes out now. Collera prob the only definite goner as of right this moment.

Just find a way to get Shields, King and Carabello on campus. Huge upsides and young for their class. So they likely aren’t the typical closer to maxed out guys you see a lot of that Miami hasn’t seemed to squeeze more out of in recent years. So until this staff proves otherwise I have to believe it continues.

My boy is raving about Tate DeRias. But said he will likely need a year to adjust. But he will be a high Iq kid coming from Gloucester Catholic in NJ that is for sure. They pride themselves on that.
3 cats from Miami Christian and 2 from Varela... some stacked HS teams

Agree - on paper the 2024 class is filthy. Particularly the pitchers committed.

Advertisement

Honestly, Collera is the guy we need the most. Those other arms (from the 90-92 range) need a bump, no doubt.

You mentioned LSU, I dont think they have an arm coming in throwing below 94-95. Thats how the SEC recruits. We need to be there. Caminiti should never see the field at LSU (or NCAA at all for that matter). I have seen that kid a few times, absolute stud.

Solidifying that bullpen should be a must for JD

Honestly, Collera is the guy we need the most. Those other arms (from the 90-92 range) need a bump, no doubt.

You mentioned LSU, I dont think they have an arm coming in throwing below 94-95. Thats how the SEC recruits. We need to be there. Caminiti should never see the field at LSU (or NCAA at all for that matter). I have seen that kid a few times, absolute stud.

Solidifying that bullpen should be a must for JD
I don’t know the NIL situation Collera should def be a kid we entice with one if we can get in the ball park (pun intended).

But he has a top 3 high school fastball and the prototype build. I’ve just read where he can get real erratic at times. I’m glad the last two classes have a lot more kids north of 200lbs then in the past. We typically look smaller and less athletic than almost everyone.

Advertisement
Back