Baseball has officially joined the football program..

Advertisement
My point isn’t Richt or Johnson or Coker. My point is looking to the past to formulate opinions about the present is a mistake in my opinion. This season is an individual entity and no prior performances or even last year has any bearing on it.

I think u’re mistaken my point. I’m not saying we will or won’t...but the presumptive “thought” we’re trending in the right direction b/c

1. We now have T-Rob
2. We won 2 more games than the 19-20 season &
3. We picked up two 5 stars in last season’s recruiting class

Those are nice things, but we’ve seen this movie b4. U can’t trend in the right direction on an embarrassing 2 game losing streak; which is y I said, “hopefully” we end an eerie trend starting this season. That’s all.

I think the point is that expecting failure is a problem in and of itself. How many championship seasons did we expect to win it all? Now, what about the year or two before that?

1984 - disaster, won it all in 87, should've won 86.
1999 - banners had recently flown. Another 9-4 season, we're now a middle of the pack Big East team. Should've been in the championship game, but won it all in 2001.

I can clearly remember avid Canes fans who were certain we'd never sniff a championship again after Washington in 2000.

Those are great examples of how the whole system has to work. That 84 team had great players, but the coaching staff didn't work well together despite past success. Coker had a team that had been coached up and didn't need new coaches to set the tone, but as they left, things went downhill. Richt tried to give the team the identity it was lacking and we saw what happened when it kicked in.

For all the people who are certain it's all about coaching, recruiting, or culture, this shows it's all aspects.
Stevens wanted to be the man from what I remember and heads butted. Look how many times that has happened at this school where coaches fail the players over feuds. Jimmy should have been allowed to have his staff though, and with it he had great success.

Coker was a guy the fans wanted fired and succeeded due to Butch and his ability to build talent. There were far better options out there, but the players got what they wanted which was a babysitter. It was detrimental to the program.

Richt was a burned out coach that should have taken some time off. He was stubborn in that he would not make choices that needed to be made much like Golden and now Manny. Dead weight on the staff helps no one succeed, but for years we have had buddies that cannot get the job done stealing from the program and player development.

It starts with coaching, well really the people hiring the coaches giving a ****, then the coaching. Manny is not fit to lead the football program now, and perhaps ever. Gino with the baseball team is a continuation of the failure prior. I only wish he had a drink with the players at the airport coming back from Gainesville. The coach builds the team in his image if allowed (apparently not at UM), so there is your culture, and recruits, so it starts there.

Stevens wanted to be the man from what I remember and heads butted. Look how many times that has happened at this school where coaches fail the players over feuds. Jimmy should have been allowed to have his staff though, and with it he had great success.

Coker was a guy the fans wanted fired and succeeded due to Butch and his ability to build talent. There were far better options out there, but the players got what they wanted which was a babysitter. It was detrimental to the program.

Richt was a burned out coach that should have taken some time off. He was stubborn in that he would not make choices that needed to be made much like Golden and now Manny. Dead weight on the staff helps no one succeed, but for years we have had buddies that cannot get the job done stealing from the program and player development.

It starts with coaching, well really the people hiring the coaches giving a ****, then the coaching. Manny is not fit to lead the football program now, and perhaps ever. Gino with the baseball team is a continuation of the failure prior. I only wish he had a drink with the players at the airport coming back from Gainesville. The coach builds the team in his image if allowed (apparently not at UM), so there is your culture, and recruits, so it starts there.
With Coker, a lot of that was because of the Barry Alvarez buzz.

The problem with new coaches is that it often takes time before any success is seen and there are more busts than successes. That naturally leads to predictions of failure which often turn out to be correct.

Advertisement
I think the point is that expecting failure is a problem in and of itself. How many championship seasons did we expect to win it all? Now, what about the year or two before that?

1984 - disaster, won it all in 87, should've won 86.
1999 - banners had recently flown. Another 9-4 season, we're now a middle of the pack Big East team. Should've been in the championship game, but won it all in 2001.

I can clearly remember avid Canes fans who were certain we'd never sniff a championship again after Washington in 2000.
Banner flew in 97....and the 99 team was ripped off vs Penn St....(before the Rumph slip)...James Jackson had that 1st down by atleast half a yd...which would have put us in a much better bowl than GT...

Banner flew in 97....and the 99 team was ripped off vs Penn St....(before the Rumph slip)...James Jackson had that 1st down by atleast half a yd...which would have put us in a much better bowl than GT...
97 was the 5-6 year. I thought it flew after that.

Either way, people expected failure and swore we were done for good. They were proven wrong.

97 was the 5-6 year. I thought it flew after that.

Either way, people expected failure and swore we were done for good. They were proven wrong.
It was 97 when the Banner flew...it was against West Virginia in Oct...I was standing not 100ft from Butch...

Of all the myriad excuses for not winning, the worst of all was "facilities." What a grift that was. Indoor practice facility, Aroid Park, on-campus basketball arena. Still suck. Still suck. Still suck.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back