Barry Jackson...

Real question to you and others saying he SHOULDNT be fired....you guys say it as a statement of fact, but based on what? What are you going by? Contract? Precedence? Etc.

for the record, I dnot have or know the answers. Whether it be fire him or gut the staff, I don’t know the cure but I feel something even if just symbolic should be done.

You don’t get fired after 11 games. Period. There’s nothing else that needs to be said.

Advertisement
Per Barry Jackson...
UM intends to retain Manny Diaz as coach next season regardless of how this season finishes, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
Diaz is 6-5 in his first year at UM, with the Hurricanes set to conclude their season Saturday at Duke and in an undetermined bowl game. But even if Miami loses both of those games, Diaz will not be fired.

The administration has faith in Diaz and believes judging him one season into a five-year contract would be unfair and premature. There’s no Board of Trustee pressure to make a coaching change, even after Saturday’s stunning loss to FIU.
There are several examples of coaches who rallied after poor first seasons. UM is well aware, for example, that Matt Rhule was 1-11 in his first year at Baylor in 2017 and has rebounded to go 7-6 last season and 10-1 this season entering Saturday’s regular-season finale at Kansas...

Matt Rhule had track record as a HC, stupid to use him as an example. We’re fvcked. Only thing I like was the use of the word “intend” at the beginning, gives some hope his *** will get let go, along with Blake!

Biggest reason to not use Rhule and Baylor as an example; the Bears' program was nowhere near the mess Miami has been for the past 15 years.

Art Briles had put in eight seasons with the Bears and built a very solid program before he was run off for covering up sexual abuse—going 11-2 (2013), 11-2 (2014) and 10-3 (2015)—before a veteran in Jim Grobe, experienced from his Wake Forest tenure, tried to restore order in 2016 in interim fashion.

Briles was 32-7 his final three years, Grobe is able to go 7-6 in an interim role for a season and Rhule—year one, coming off of four years at Temple—gets a pass for going 1-11, with losses to Liberty and a UTSA program that's only been around since 2011? News flash; Baylor losing to UTSA is as bad as present-day Miami losing to FIU, if not worse.

Everyone stroking off Rhule this year's third-year run—after going 8-17 his first two years, inheriting a program that was playing in the Cotton Bowl three years before he showed up—but Diaz doesn't get that same inaugural-season courtesy?

I don't know if Diaz will get it done, or won't—but this Rhule "turnaround" narrative is comical—going 1-11 his first season, when Grobe was 7-6 in an interim role and Briles was 32-7 the three years prior?

Per Barry Jackson...
UM intends to retain Manny Diaz as coach next season regardless of how this season finishes, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
Diaz is 6-5 in his first year at UM, with the Hurricanes set to conclude their season Saturday at Duke and in an undetermined bowl game. But even if Miami loses both of those games, Diaz will not be fired.

The administration has faith in Diaz and believes judging him one season into a five-year contract would be unfair and premature. There’s no Board of Trustee pressure to make a coaching change, even after Saturday’s stunning loss to FIU.
There are several examples of coaches who rallied after poor first seasons. UM is well aware, for example, that Matt Rhule was 1-11 in his first year at Baylor in 2017 and has rebounded to go 7-6 last season and 10-1 this season entering Saturday’s regular-season finale at Kansas...

Matt Rhule had track record as a HC, stupid to use him as an example. We’re fvcked. Only thing I like was the use of the word “intend” at the beginning, gives some hope his *** will get let go, along with Blake!
OMG worse news ever!

True but...

Richt’s gave us the biggest gift in the world (resigning) and then we went and spent $4MM for the rights to promote a DC from a failed regime.

We saved money and then lit some of it on fire.
Yep. Joe Blake wasn’t fired after that I have no clue

You don’t get fired after 11 games. Period. There’s nothing else that needs to be said.
The question is why? High school coaches have lost jobs after 1season, professional coaches as well, and it also happens outside of the college bubble. Why are college coaches sacred? Is it an unspoken rule/union/fraternity kind of thing?
Not trying to pick a fight, real question. I would have to assume because their contracts come with years guaranteed at some point in time firing after 1 season was a thing of norm or at least that it happened

Advertisement
The question is why? High school coaches have lost jobs after 1season, professional coaches as well, and it also happens outside of the college bubble. Why are college coaches sacred? Is it an unspoken rule/union/fraternity kind of thing?
Not trying to pick a fight, real question. I would have to assume because their contracts come with years guaranteed at some point in time firing after 1 season was a thing of norm or at least that it happened

With the amount of money at stake at different levels, survival after year 1 is no more a given.

I think I remember reading that the NFL has fired 9 coaches after 1 year in the past 20 or so seasons. It happens, but it’s very rare. And I would guess most of those had completely catastrophic seasons. So, while the FIU loss was catastrophic, I don’t think firing your coach after 11 games with a winning record and all 5 losses coming by 1 score is good for business.

The NFL is also a business. The turnover from 1 year to the next is incredibly high. I just don’t think you’re going to get interest from many college coaches who look at Miami and think, “wow, I’m gonna leave my situation to go coach someone else’s kids and if I don’t perform in 11 games they’re gonna throw me out the door?” It’s just not feasible.

Biggest reason to not use Rhule and Baylor as an example; the Bears' program was nowhere near the mess Miami has been for the past 15 years.

Art Briles had put in eight seasons with the Bears and built a very solid program before he was run off for covering up sexual abuse—going 11-2 (2013), 11-2 (2014) and 10-3 (2015)—before a veteran in Jim Grobe, experienced from his Wake Forest tenure, tried to restore order in 2016 in interim fashion.

Briles was 32-7 his final three years, Grobe is able to go 7-6 in an interim role for a season and Rhule—year one, coming off of four years at Temple—gets a pass for going 1-11, with losses to Liberty and a UTSA program that's only been around since 2011? News flash; Baylor losing to UTSA is as bad as present-day Miami losing to FIU, if not worse.

Everyone stroking off Rhule this year's third-year run—after going 8-17 his first two years, inheriting a program that was playing in the Cotton Bowl three years before he showed up—but Diaz doesn't get that same inaugural-season courtesy?

I don't know if Diaz will get it done, or won't—but this Rhule "turnaround" narrative is comical—going 1-11 his first season, when Grobe was 7-6 in an interim role and Briles was 32-7 the three years prior?
LOL 😂

Advertisement
Blake - "Manny, I'm getting yelled at by the fans after this FIU loss, they want me gone"

Manny - "Blake, look at Baylor they were 1-11 two years ago, and LSU lost to Troy 2 years ago. I need to build the culture here because it was tarnished before, even though I oversaw half of the team"

Blake - "Wow I didn't know that. Your right Manny, keep doing a good job, we believe in you long term!"

Funny, sad and more accurate than any of us want to believe unfortunately.

Disappointed that Manny is now being compared to Matt Rhule.

What ever happened to the Saban comparisons? Has everybody jumped ship on the “Saban lost to ULM his first year at Bama” thing already?

Advertisement

Generally, year 2 is where coaches make the biggest turnaround. Because so much success in college football is tied to recruiting, scheme, and discipline they had no hand in previously, it usually isn't usually fair to judge them after one year unless they're abnormally bad at the aforementioned skills.

Advertisement
Back