Barry Jackson latest blog

Advertisement
So is the pressure on Delaney to play his way into the first round to keep the streak alive? Seems like a bellichick steal already.

Good article.

The biggest difference from spring is the juice at wide receiver. There are a lot of guys who can get deep and make things happen with the ball. This team will spread people out.

D$ you been able to get to any practices this camp? You gonna give a breakdown, always look forward to your perspective on things.

I can't wait for the season to finally start!! Should be our best team in a WHILE!

Advertisement
DJ Dallas is becoming my favorite player.

Love the idea of getting the ball out and into the hands of the playmakers. Up tempo, west coast style. 4/5 wide. I'll keep calling for it.

Bad news on J. Dean. Tackling is a prerequisite to play for this defense. Good news is it sounds like Young is so good it won't matter. Delaney and Young, Bandy and Dean in nickel dime, and let's roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet. They're just trying for him to get to the next level. Regardless, as I've been saying since jump, Dean's coverage skills can be used effectively in creative ways even if his Tackling isn't as strong as we hope. On top of that, as you and I have discussed, Young is really good and can play inside or outside. With Delaney on one side doing his thing, the complementary skills of Young and Dean give us almost everything we need. Diaz is near limitless in his potential packages.

Side note: Don't underestimate Rosier maturity, knowledge of the system, familiarity with the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates and the improvement he made from the spring. If he ends up being the starter, we're in good hands.

Love the idea of getting the ball out and into the hands of the playmakers. Up tempo, west coast style. 4/5 wide. I'll keep calling for it.

Bad news on J. Dean. Tackling is a prerequisite to play for this defense. Good news is it sounds like Young is so good it won't matter. Delaney and Young, Bandy and Dean in nickel dime, and let's roll.

Not yet. They're just trying for him to get to the next level. Regardless, as I've been saying since jump, Dean's coverage skills can be used effectively in creative ways even if his Tackling isn't as strong as we hope. On top of that, as you and I have discussed, Young is really good and can play inside or outside. With Delaney on one side doing his thing, the complementary skills of Young and Dean give us almost everything we need. Diaz is near limitless in his potential packages.

I'm feeling much, much better about the CB position than I did during spring ball. I just wasn't sold on dean and Delaney (unproven against top tier talent), and didn't love what I saw from Young last year (I've been rewatching games and you were right on young). But the practice reports have eased my worries.

I've been following what you said about Dean in the slot. Delaney and Young seem to compliment each other perfectly (can you ask for a better boundary/field combo?) so what you say about Dean seems to fit beautifully. Whether they put him in the slot as you suggest, or on the outside, I am comfortable with him as a 3rd corner.

Personally I think Bandy steps right in as the nickel corner. This is not in response to this Dean tidbit - I just think he was born to play in Mannys defense.

Advertisement
Guess what fellas.

This is starting to look like the best team we've had in 12 years.

Hyperbole? I don't think so.

Granted, a lot of the talent we have is very young talent, but there's more talent here than I've seen in over a decade for the canes.

Am I wrong or is 22% body fat for a dude that big a huge deal?

Anyone know how they calculate it? In the military (USMC atleast) they simply take your waist and subtract your neck. I hate that calculation and don't believe it's very accurate. IMO 22% for a dude that big is actually pretty impressive!

Advertisement
Defense, Mark Walton will carry us to at least 10 wins. As long as Rosier doesn't turn into Jacorey Harris his last 2 years we could win more.

So best case scenario we have baby Odell and Baby Antonio Brown lined up at WRs spots. (Which would make me jump off my couch in excitement most Saturdays.)

Worst case scenario a shiftier Dorsett and a Benjamin type. (Heck, I'd take that too.)

I'm feeling much, much better about the CB position than I did during spring ball. I just wasn't sold on dean and Delaney (unproven against top tier talent), and didn't love what I saw from Young last year (I've been rewatching games and you were right on young). But the practice reports have eased my worries.

I've been following what you said about Dean in the slot. Delaney and Young seem to compliment each other perfectly (can you ask for a better boundary/field combo?) so what you say about Dean seems to fit beautifully. Whether they put him in the slot as you suggest, or on the outside, I am comfortable with him as a 3rd corner.

Personally I think Bandy steps right in as the nickel corner. This is not in response to this Dean tidbit - I just think he was born to play in Mannys defense.

I thought dean was a boundary corner not a slot?

Advertisement

With a guy like Dean, Delaney and Bandy (based on the reports) and who we got on the back end, Johnson and Redwine, it sounds ready made to play the Seahawks type of Cover 3 as a base.
I'd put Dean at Field Corner, since he's not great at tackling but it great as deep balls and has ball skills and have to cover a deep third, Delaney at Boundary Corner, since he's your best corner period, tackle and deep ball it, and throw in your best tackling DB at Nickel, whether that Young, Bandy or whoever, that individual is funneling everything back into the Front Six.

This is all hypothetical but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of this, based on the skill set we have on this defense. Sometimes it's best to get out of the way as a play caller and just let the boys play and that's what the Cover 3 defense does.

I agree, this part is concerning, hope this will improve. Corners made some huge tackles for us last season.

With a guy like Dean, Delaney and Bandy (based on the reports) and who we got on the back end, Johnson and Redwine, it sounds ready made to play the Seahawks type of Cover 3 as a base.
I'd put Dean at Field Corner, since he's not great at tackling but it great as deep balls and has ball skills and have to cover a deep third, Delaney at Boundary Corner, since he's your best corner period, tackle and deep ball it, and throw in your best tackling DB at Nickel, whether that Young, Bandy or whoever, that individual is funneling everything back into the Front Six.

This is all hypothetical but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of this, based on the skill set we have on this defense. Sometimes it's best to get out of the way as a play caller and just let the boys play and that's what the Cover 3 defense does.

Interesting stuff here. I'm no LuCane in terms of knowing the intricacies of defensive football but I would very much agree with what you just layed out. Safety play will most definitely factor in to the end result but this front 7 and the talent at CB will give Diaz the ability to run most anything he chooses. Redwine's smooth transition to safety and the addition of Dean and Delaney at CB give us tremendous flexibility. I expect Jaquan Johnson to be freed up to make a ton of plays from the FS position. Also the development of Michael Jackson at CB cannot be underestimated as it provides crucial depth and gives us 5 CBs who can play at a high level. Finally, the 2 creampuffs to begin the season will give Diaz and Co 2 live games to fine tune things before Florida State.

Hard not to be excited after that read, even if it sounds like a fluff piece. Donaldson and Thomas were my favorite recruits last year and they seem like they are ready to go. Not too worried about JJ and Redwine because despite all the experience and ability, Carter and Jenkins never really put it all together.

Donaldson is going to be a ******* mauler at G. Who knows if he develops into a RT eventually but kid should be elite at G.

Advertisement
Back