Barry Jackson Article On The Offense

So we have to have an All American QB and 2 All American RBs for richt's offense to succeed? Got it.

Is this real life? I thought we were long past the days of out-talenting everyone.
I believe Toledo put up 24 points on the number one defense in the country. They got better offensive PLAYERS than Miami? NO. They do have a better OC though, I guarantee! 17 points on Virginia not too much to ask.

Advertisement
Dan Mullin beat the same LSU team that absolutely destroyed Richt, with Feleipe Franks at QB. A guy who may be almost as terrible as Malik (52.6 pct passer, not as good runner). In year 1. Let me guess, the Gators are more talented in Mullins first year than the Canes are in year 3.
Or could it be coaching?

UM hasn’t reached 30 points offensively in any of its last seven games against Power 5 conference teams. This year, Miami had 17 against LSU, 26 against North Carolina (the 21 other points were scored on defensive touchdowns), 28 against FSU and 13 against Virginia.

2) Add more misdirection and movement to make the offense less predictable.
Richt has simplified the offense so it’s easier for Perry to run. But it’s made UM’s offense easier to defend.

Point 2 is correct, but it's a lie that the offense has become simpler for Perry. This offense has been simple for a minute.

Its been simple since brad kaaya left!

So, Richt does not allow himself to adapt and to try different ways to get the ball to his dynamic playmakers in space? Even though he doesn't have the players for his preferred scheme, he's going to keep running his preferred scheme? Jasus.

More nuance than the article suggests. Read Roman or Lance Roffers. They'll give you something beyond "bar conversation." It's more than just not having the right personnel to "run it up the gut and throw it downfield." It's the fact we're more than good enough to throw the ball downfield against a team like UVA, where the OL at times gives sufficient time, and yet success still doesn't happen. Why? The question is really about what happens if Coach Richt gets ALL the personnel he wants. How superior would it need to be to overcome being behind the 8 ball (the defensive coverage or DL knowing the tendency)?
Its been simple since brad kaaya left!
wasnf that great even w Kaaya. He regressed w Recht.

Advertisement
here is the article
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article219883855.html

"Here’s the underlying problem: Richt likes to run a power offense, with runs up the gut, and throw the ball downfield, but he doesn’t have the personnel to do it with the success he would like."

"Richt’s offensive line isn’t nearly good enough. Unless Lingard eventually proves to be that guy, he doesn’t have elite, big backs like he did at Georgia (Todd Gurley and Sony Michel). And he doesn’t have a quarterback nearly close to the level of Matt Stafford and Aaron Murray, two of his best at Georgia."

"And that, in a nutshell, is why this UM offense continues to perform at levels below what anyone would have hoped when Richt was hired."
Only truth this quote has is the OL issue. Other than that He never called plays for any of those names mentioned so it’s not like you can say he can actually utilize the talent he has. Playcalling has passed him by and it’s not because of personnel. Cut the BS

wasnf that great even w Kaaya. He regressed w Recht.

If you call regressing because it was his first year with coach richt, but as far as results, people have to be realistic. First year in, wins 9 games and a decent bowl game, next year in, we get 10wins with a new qb and should have won a better bowl game if the refs werent paid to look the other way. This year, ok, we've lost 2 games early, let's see how the season plays out before people keep crying. Got b the #1 defense in the nation so that side of the ball is already championship caliber in less than 3yrs. The only reason kaaya left early was because he had that good year, along with njoku. So for people to nitpick and cry and complain as if coach richt inherited a team from butch davis is comical to me. This team competes as is competing again no matter who's the opponent. Before coach richt got here nobody would even believe we should be on the same field with lsu let alone expect to win the game. All of a sudden coach richt is here and people are expecting him to win every game in less than 3yrs, lol, but dont want to analyze or acknowledge the talent deficiencies in the trenches, all of that is being fixed, coach richt knows what a championship roster looks like. Once the offensive side of the ball gets fixed to a decent level, we'll be in the hunt gor it all, along with special teams.

Advertisement
Honest Question: when was the last time Richt had a good offense as an OC? I realize that is a little skewed b/c he wasn't the OC at UGA his last several years, but that is also part of the point--which is that is has (I think) been a really long time since he's had success as an OC.

If you call regressing because it was his first year with coach richt, but as far as results, people have to be realistic. First year in, wins 9 games and a decent bowl game, next year in, we get 10wins with a new qb and should have won a better bowl game if the refs werent paid to look the other way. This year, ok, we've lost 2 games early, let's see how the season plays out before people keep crying. Got b the #1 defense in the nation so that side of the ball is already championship caliber in less than 3yrs. The only reason kaaya left early was because he had that good year, along with njoku. So for people to nitpick and cry and complain as if coach richt inherited a team from butch davis is comical to me. This team competes as is competing again no matter who's the opponent. Before coach richt got here nobody would even believe we should be on the same field with lsu let alone expect to win the game. All of a sudden coach richt is here and people are expecting him to win every game in less than 3yrs, lol, but dont want to analyze or acknowledge the talent deficiencies in the trenches, all of that is being fixed, coach richt knows what a championship roster looks like. Once the offensive side of the ball gets fixed to a decent level, we'll be in the hunt gor it all, along with special teams.
I was really referring to the offense. My gripe is w OC Recht. My issue w Him as a HC is related to his refusal to get a new OC.

What we’ve seen the last 3 seasons is a steadily improving D combined with a steadily regressing O.

OC Rechts first year here, the O took a step back from Golden/Coley.. especially the line. That trend continues, and needs to stop.

I was really referring to the offense. My gripe is w OC Recht. My issue w Him as a HC is related to his refusal to get a new OC.

What we’ve seen the last 3 seasons is a steadily improving D combined with a steadily regressing O.

OC Rechts first year here, the O took a step back from Golden/Coley.. especially the line. That trend continues, and needs to stop.

Understood, but i cant say i agree, in coach richt's first year mark walton had a good year and was on pace last year to get around 1500yrds rushing. The o-line has gotten worst simply because of the lack of talent he inherited and than the first recruiting class(2016)didnt produce one o-linemen, 2017 we got donaldson, hillery, dykstra and herbert and gaynor and right now only donaldson and gaynor has contributed in games and herbert hasnt been healthy but he'll be going into his third year, so if he's physically ready maybe he'll start contributing. I didnt expect much offense this year when it came out of camp who the starting 5 were for the o-line and also where they were playing. We got a make shift o-line, and 2018 we got reed, scaife and campbell.

So when you analyze why the o-line has regressed, its obvious, so this year we losing gauthier, louis, mayhone and jones. Next year, as of right now, the 5 best o-linemen on this roster from what i can see will be donaldson, scaife, gaynor, boulware and campbell. I think reed will at some point get boulware outta their, but our tackles maybe scaife and campbell, who will be an upgrade over what we have now talent wise. Right, tarquin and eguakin are 2 of the most important recruits, and if neal comes along, we definitely need more o-linemen in this class if you ask me. Right now, we need a couple of juco or senior transfers to plug the gaps until the young guns start developing.

So this is what we're up against, once that unit starts being consistent but they'll definitely be more physical, and thank goodness scaife came in doing enuff work that allows navaughn to get back to his natural spot. Progress is being made, but its hard to rush a solid o-line.

Understood, but i cant say i agree, in coach richt's first year mark walton had a good year and was on pace last year to get around 1500yrds rushing. The o-line has gotten worst simply because of the lack of talent he inherited and than the first recruiting class(2016)didnt produce one o-linemen, 2017 we got donaldson, hillery, dykstra and herbert and gaynor and right now only donaldson and gaynor has contributed in games and herbert hasnt been healthy but he'll be going into his third year, so if he's physically ready maybe he'll start contributing. I didnt expect much offense this year when it came out of camp who the starting 5 were for the o-line and also where they were playing. We got a make shift o-line, and 2018 we got reed, scaife and campbell.

So when you analyze why the o-line has regressed, its obvious, so this year we losing gauthier, louis, mayhone and jones. Next year, as of right now, the 5 best o-linemen on this roster from what i can see will be donaldson, scaife, gaynor, boulware and campbell. I think reed will at some point get boulware outta their, but our tackles maybe scaife and campbell, who will be an upgrade over what we have now talent wise. Right, tarquin and eguakin are 2 of the most important recruits, and if neal comes along, we definitely need more o-linemen in this class if you ask me. Right now, we need a couple of juco or senior transfers to plug the gaps until the young guns start developing.

So this is what we're up against, once that unit starts being consistent but they'll definitely be more physical, and thank goodness scaife came in doing enuff work that allows navaughn to get back to his natural spot. Progress is being made, but its hard to rush a solid o-line.

There’s no denying lack of talent, and he didn’t inherit a lot, but in year 3 that’s on richt. That line issue is more than just talent too, at times they look like someone picked 5 random big guys, put a helmet on em, and said don’t let anyone past u. Technique is so bad it has to get back to coaching. Now, I’m far from an OL expert, so yea this isn’t an expert opinion, but it sure looks like these guys aren’t being taught effectively.

Playcalling is also a problem. Why are we forcing a power running game without the personnel? Why are we running the same running plays? Why are we seemingly relying on deep/long developing routes with a porous OL. There is no effort to play a game around the deficiencies, instead we lean into them.

Advertisement
Honest Question: when was the last time Richt had a good offense as an OC? I realize that is a little skewed b/c he wasn't the OC at UGA his last several years, but that is also part of the point--which is that is has (I think) been a really long time since he's had success as an OC.

The honest answer is that Richt was still OC in 2005 when UGA won the SEC title with DJ Shockley at QB. That was a pretty good offense. The next season was when he turned OC duties over to Mike Bobo.

The honest answer is that Richt was still OC in 2005 when UGA won the SEC title with DJ Shockley at QB. That was a pretty good offense. The next season was when he turned OC duties over to Mike Bobo.

Exactly, and before that, when Fsu won the national championship with peter warrick and coach dugans as the wideouts. Coach richt understands offense and he understands the qb position. What he does do is call plays from time to time that dont fit the personnel, but he's not a rookie at this.

OK, so it's been 13 years since Richt has been a good OC. That's a LONG time ago, and if that is the most recent evidence we have supporting his skills as an OC, I think it's very fair to the question whether or not he is still a good one.

Advertisement
There’s no denying lack of talent, and he didn’t inherit a lot, but in year 3 that’s on richt. That line issue is more than just talent too, at times they look like someone picked 5 random big guys, put a helmet on em, and said don’t let anyone past u. Technique is so bad it has to get back to coaching. Now, I’m far from an OL expert, so yea this isn’t an expert opinion, but it sure looks like these guys aren’t being taught effectively.

Playcalling is also a problem. Why are we forcing a power running game without the personnel? Why are we running the same running plays? Why are we seemingly relying on deep/long developing routes with a porous OL. There is no effort to play a game around the deficiencies, instead we lean into them.

Think about who most of the starters are/were, almost none of them would have gotten schalorship offers under coach richt. 3 of them were only starting because they were and are physically more developed than the more talented players. Credit goes to coach richt for not throwing alot of younger players out their who are just not physically ready. He's protecting guys, including perry. Year 3 is not alot of time to establish a solid o-line with what was left here. The 2016 class was a salvage class and not to many players wanted to come here at that time, 1 o-linemen signed, and he's no longer on the team. Year 2 (2017)got better as far as numbers, signed, navaughn, herbert, gaynor, dykstra and hillery, so far we know navaughn and gaynor can play, gaynor is doing the smart thing this year, redshirting and getting his body right cause more than likely he'll be carrying t h e full load come next year. He's one of the only young o-linemen who has that luxury right now. So that 2017 o-line class is vital, along with the 2018 classes development. We do know hillery was a project an dykstra seemed like he should be better than mayhone coming out, but so far nothing. We'll see if herbert can at least start contributing come next year as well.

This is where the sanctions/losing 3 or 5 schalorships a year set us back, in the trench game, but we on t h e come up. We get neal in this class, and a ready made effective juco or 2 on the o-line, and we should start seeing what we need to see.

Dan Mullin beat the same LSU team that absolutely destroyed Richt, with Feleipe Franks at QB. A guy who may be almost as terrible as Malik (52.6 pct passer, not as good runner). In year 1. Let me guess, the Gators are more talented in Mullins first year than the Canes are in year 3.
Or could it be coaching?
This is the truth right here. If you adjust for the age and experience, Frank's is light years worse than Perry. That being said, you coach with what you have available, not what you wish you had.

Advertisement
Back