Barry Jackson Article On The Offense

Ormondcane

Recruit
Good article on how the offense ranks nationally in numerous categories. It also talks about how Richt could/should be addressing the problems on offense to make it more effective.
I would post it but don't know how to post it to this site. It is in today's Miami Herald. It is not very pleasant reading given the talent we have on the offense.

Advertisement
Good article on how the offense ranks nationally in numerous categories. It also talks about how Richt could/should be addressing the problems on offense to make it more effective.
I would post it but don't know how to post it to this site. It is in today's Miami Herald. It is not very pleasant reading given the talent we have on the offense.
cut and paste it or the key concepts from it.

OP is even less talented at using the copy and paste feature on whatever device xi is on

here is the article
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article219883855.html

"Here’s the underlying problem: Richt likes to run a power offense, with runs up the gut, and throw the ball downfield, but he doesn’t have the personnel to do it with the success he would like."

"Richt’s offensive line isn’t nearly good enough. Unless Lingard eventually proves to be that guy, he doesn’t have elite, big backs like he did at Georgia (Todd Gurley and Sony Michel). And he doesn’t have a quarterback nearly close to the level of Matt Stafford and Aaron Murray, two of his best at Georgia."

"And that, in a nutshell, is why this UM offense continues to perform at levels below what anyone would have hoped when Richt was hired."

Advertisement
UM hasn’t reached 30 points offensively in any of its last seven games against Power 5 conference teams. This year, Miami had 17 against LSU, 26 against North Carolina (the 21 other points were scored on defensive touchdowns), 28 against FSU and 13 against Virginia.

2) Add more misdirection and movement to make the offense less predictable.
Richt has simplified the offense so it’s easier for Perry to run. But it’s made UM’s offense easier to defend.

Point 2 is correct, but it's a lie that the offense has become simpler for Perry. This offense has been simple for a minute.

here is the article
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article219883855.html

"Here’s the underlying problem: Richt likes to run a power offense, with runs up the gut, and throw the ball downfield, but he doesn’t have the personnel to do it with the success he would like."

"Richt’s offensive line isn’t nearly good enough. Unless Lingard eventually proves to be that guy, he doesn’t have elite, big backs like he did at Georgia (Todd Gurley and Sony Michel). And he doesn’t have a quarterback nearly close to the level of Matt Stafford and Aaron Murray, two of his best at Georgia."

"And that, in a nutshell, is why this UM offense continues to perform at levels below what anyone would have hoped when Richt was hired."

Succinct and I'd say accurate.

UM hasn’t reached 30 points offensively in any of its last seven games against Power 5 conference teams. This year, Miami had 17 against LSU, 26 against North Carolina (the 21 other points were scored on defensive touchdowns), 28 against FSU and 13 against Virginia.

2) Add more misdirection and movement to make the offense less predictable.
Richt has simplified the offense so it’s easier for Perry to run. But it’s made UM’s offense easier to defend.

Point 2 is correct, but it's a lie that the offense has become simpler for Perry. This offense has been simple for a minute.

Wait..this is not entirely correct. We could of scored 42 offensive points if Richt chose to against UNC...but he likes to be classy...sometimes to a fault. Remember against FSWHO...we chose to down it at the 1 yard line with a few minutes left.

I want Kendal Briles to be our OC but at the same time lets not make it like its Taggerts offense.

Advertisement
Wait..this is not entirely correct. We could of scored 42 offensive points if Richt chose to against UNC...but he likes to be classy...sometimes to a fault. Remember against FSWHO...we chose to down it at the 1 yard line with a few minutes left.

I want Kendal Briles to be our OC but at the same time lets not make it like its Taggerts offense.

Bro, we could win # 6 this year too, if we won all our games, but what's reality? What Barry posted were facts. I don't care if we chose to drain the clock against FSU so we didn't hit a field goal to make the score 31...the fact is this offense is stagnant and stale.

Advertisement
he has a point. richt has always said the ol isnt good and we have two back ups that arent reliable off the field.
Lingard can be a stud and our best ol guys are young. sometimes i feel like im jumping the guy but what concerns me is
the '19 class isnt that strong. '17 was good, '18 was great, and '19 needs to build on it.

Bro, we could win # 6 this year too, if we won all our games, but what's reality? What Barry posted were facts. I don't care if we chose to drain the clock against FSU so we didn't hit a field goal to make the score 31...the fact is this offense is stagnant and stale.

Barry wrote that they simplified the offense for Perry...is that a fact? Fug no its not. You can't skew some things and pass them off as fact and then use stats that really dont tell the story of the game situations etc.

Yes we want a better offense but lets keep it straight from all angles.

Dont make Barry Jackson some awesome investigative reporter. Dude is a friggin hack.

Advertisement
Barry wrote that they simplified the offense for Perry...is that a fact? Fug no its not. You can't skew some things and pass them off as fact and then use stats that really dont tell the story of the game situations etc.

Yes we want a better offense but lets keep it straight from all angles.

Dont make Barry Jackson some awesome investigative reporter. Dude is a friggin hack.

Should we have scored 30 points? Yes, but we didn’t, so that is accurate. And let’s be really honest; the only reason why we only scored 21 offensive points against UNC and 28 against FSU is because our O was not moving, playa. Barry is a hack, but right now, so is this O, brotha.

This part caught me off guard as I don't think it's really been discussed. Why do we never use the FB (besides as a predictable 4th down runner)? Richt talked about using one all last year and there are 2 on scholarship.

When the running game is struggling, use a fullback more — either Trayone Gray (who has just 53 offensive snaps all season, per Gould) or Realus George (who has just nine).

Advertisement
Back