Barry J. article summary on "behind the scenes" problems.

Advertisement
The toxicity within the football program including drug use, double standards with players behavior, and lack of preparation makes me doubt Manny can turn this around. It’s clear that Manny and other coaches have allowed poor behavior and enabled players destructive habits. Jarren exhibits everything that’s wrong with this program and hopefully he transfers out soon.

But conversations with multiple people around the program, including a veteran player, say there’s another issue, particularly in the quarterback room, that must be fixed. And UM is working to achieve that.

That player - and other sources around the team - say a few players seem more concerned with partying than focusing on football and that a handful (including a prominent one on offense) broke curfew the night before the FIU loss to go out.

It didn’t help that players are aware that UM’s drug policy does not call for a suspension for a first failed drug test; that policy was taken advantage of, according to numerous sources.

All of that had one regular on the team hoping Diaz becomes more of a disciplinarian next season. Diaz apparently realizes this.

We’re told Diaz reminded players before the Independence Bowl that breaking curfew, drinking and smoking weed would not be permitted.

A source said Diaz has discussed implementing a three-strike system in which the first failed test is a one-game suspension, a second failed test is a multi-game suspension and a drug education course; and a third failed test results in dismissal. It’s unclear if that system will be implemented.

Under UM’s current drug policy, the penalty for a first offense on a failed drug test is 10 hours of community service. The punishment for a second offense is players are withheld from 10 percent of their season’s competition (one game for football) and a third suspension requires missing 30 percent of the season’s games (three or four for football).

“The University of Miami has one of the strongest institutional drug testing policies in all of college athletics,” the UM athletic department told The Miami Herald in response to an inquiry last week. “Testing is outsourced to, and conducted entirely by, an independent entity that has no other affiliation with Miami Athletics.

“Any football student-athletes who violated the institutional drug policy this past season were penalized in accordance with the institutional policy. Any University of Miami coach has the authority to strengthen the drug testing policy for his or her respective sport.”
Do you think Diaz is taking the necessary steps to become more of a disciplinarian??? And, as a follow up, do you think he can succeed in this???
Thanks in advance. I value your opinion and knowledge!

Advertisement
I would respect Manny if he booted a few QBs. He's acting too scared to draw a real line, and the players know it. Man, I'd take a 5-7 season if he dumped the lazy fools and got tough. He needs to rid the team of cancers, not freaking coddle them. Burn this thing down and start with frsh blood in the QB room. Get a grad transfer, and get Matocha and TVD ready.

I'm telling you, if he booted two or three QBs from the team, it would get EVERYONE'S attention.

I guess they’re lucky I’m not their coach. I wouldn’t just kick them off the team, I’d expell them from the school and report them to the campus police.

They would never play another down of D1 football again.
What are you a puritanical Quaker?

You gotta be trollin, no way people younger than 65 still think like this...

This was a ******* hit piece by Barry jackson and already picking up national headlines. Hate Miami reporters. They will drag the program through the mud at any cost. ******* leeches

What are you a puritanical Quaker?

You gotta be trollin, no way people younger than 65 still think like this...

In my unimportant opinion, that three strike policy is okay w alcohol and marijuana. But not with anything else.

Opioids and any schedule 2 narcotics are serious, dangerous, and should not be tolerated at all.

Treating OxyContin like it’s marijuana is dumb as ****.

Advertisement
This was a ******* hit piece by Barry jackson and already picking up national headlines. Hate Miami reporters

This is terrible. Someone wanted that out for a reason. Manny seems to lock stuff down when he wants to. When they want something out, it gets leaked. It makes me wonder if the player(s) who talked did so with the encouragement or knowledge of Manny and staff... Or if it came from someone who graduated and was angry....

This was a ******* hit piece by Barry jackson and already picking up national headlines. Hate Miami reporters. They will drag the program through the mud at any cost. ******* leeches

Not sure if you've been paying attention, but our program NEEDS to be dragged through the mud. Maybe this will get Manny fired sooner rather than later. Just cause?

Not sure if you've been paying attention, but our program NEEDS to be dragged through the mud. Maybe this will get Manny fired sooner rather than later. Just cause?

this puts an absurd amount of pressure of manny and the admin. The systematic issues are now public. Yeah, it’s short term smack but now everyone is in the crosshairs

Advertisement
Some older players need to beat the **** out of a few of these lazy ********. That will help fix the culture right away.
All this going on and our senior leadership didnt call out someone to square up? It would've been alot of broke jaws in the locker room had this been back in the day. We are soft af. I see what the FIU players were talking about now.

This was a ******* hit piece by Barry jackson and already picking up national headlines. Hate Miami reporters

If it takes two steps back to move forward then so be it. The dysfunction and incompetence within this program needs to be exposed for everyone to understand who are responsible. I believe in the saying “what you do in the dark comes out in the light” and today reckoning starts.

Maybe at least one player was concerned about the direction of the program and knew this was the best way to change it. Hidden problems don't get fixed.

Advertisement
That rap would be a little more compelling if Manure and many of his assistants hadn’t been here for 4 years helping recruit and build this putrescent culture.

I agree with that but for the most part the issue is on offense...the defense fights every game...and you can say what you want this defense has been good enough to win us 10-11 every year the past 3 years and if that happens that would've help with recruiting to take us to that next level

Do you think Diaz is taking the necessary steps to become more of a disciplinarian??? And, as a follow up, do you think he can succeed in this???
Thanks in advance. I value your opinion and knowledge!
I don't know...

But what I do know is, you can't learn to be a disciplinarian, you either are or you're not & once you show that you're not its virtually impossible to pretend like you are after the fact.

The toothpaste is already out of the tube, who he is is who he is, Coaches just like Tigers don't change their stripes. You don't start out as an easy going pushover & then evolve into a hardass iron fist ruler, it usually goes the other way around.

Players respect authenticity & consistency, if you show them a different kind of leader every year they don't believe you. If he's going to try & be more strict as a HC his best bet is get rid of every kid on the team that didn't listen to him, the problem is if he did that he wouldn't have a full team to field for the season lol.

You have the potential to make millions of dollars playing a game and choose to smoke weed and blow down some lines. We need to have josh Gordon come in and give a motivation speech about how much money he has lost in his career.

Advertisement
Back