Barry J. article discussing the internal power struggle

Good. That's the exact kind of thinking we need. We rose to prominence by being on the cutting edge of college football. Now we've been left in the dust. Let's be trail blazers again.
I get what you’re saying but I think it’d be a terrible idea to hire another “suit,” for reasons already discussed on this board and then some. Isn’t it just easier to hire a better HC and competent AD?

Advertisement
None - at least not a qualified Alpha coach. Mario wouldn't either.

The only reason we're even talking about it is because everyone is quite aware how underqualified and unprepared Manny is to run a program.

If this position for Highsmith was to strictly oversee football for James, or in place of James, then fine. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
Disagree. I could see Mario open to the idea of Alonzo in a position of power so Mario could get the resources he needs from Alonzo without ever having to speak to Blake.

There is no other program in the country - none - that has a chief of staff with higher or equal authority to the head coach. There’d be no point in being the head coach.
They should consider a position where Highsmith reports to Diaz and where he has authority over certain departments and isn’t just a “yes” man, but a vice president of sorts on the operations and recruiting/ scouting side of things.

The NFL does it so Why the **** wouldn't Miami do it .... and maybe become an innovator.

When you lose 3 in a row to 3 pathetic teams, you should have to put up with ANY concessions or adjustments your AD has for you. You accept with gratefulness, whatever your bosses want because you still have a job.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The only reason I can see Diaz resisting this is that he knows he isn't qualified and doesn't want to be exposed. Here's the thing Diaz doesn't realize. The reason the fan base wants him fired has little to do with fans having unrealistic expectations of a coach in his 1st year. Its that fans have seen this movie enough times to recognize immediately when a coach is out of his depth.

The problem with your theory is that Manny will be exposed regardless. I think he actually feels confident he can turn this around on his own. If he can't he will be gone end of next year.

Honestly think about it, what coach would want that? If you are a coach on the hot seat are you going to want someone to come in that would possibly fire you? No coach would be onboard with that
Almost every coach in the nfl has that. Let’s be trailblazers. Some stuff moves college to the pros. Some moves in reverse. Very few in the nfl have coaching and personnel oversight for a reason.
Truly this would be the new Miami at the same time being the old Miami doing things and nobody’s done before

Disagree. I could see Mario open to the idea of Alonzo in a position of power so Mario could get the resources he needs from Alonzo without ever having to speak to Blake.

You can't have 3 people in charge.....it was to work for everyone. I am in higher level management for a very large company and i would not be ok with reporting to 2 different people or having someone who's not my boss tell me what to do. Working with someone at a similar level? Fine....but i didn't get to where i'm at by deferring to others and i'm sure an alpha-type HC feels the same.

If the HC is in charge of all personnel (player and asst coach) decisions and Zo's role was assistant AD to work with instead of Blake (meaning same level of HC, not boss) for the rest of football operations, or Football AD with Blake moved elsewhere, then fine. But you need a very clear and workable reporting structure.

Advertisement
I get what you’re saying but I think it’d be a terrible idea to hire another “suit,” for reasons already discussed on this board and then some. Isn’t it just easier to hire a better HC and competent AD?
Yes, it would. Someone like Danny White. But given who is on the BOT, their view of football, the fact they like Blake, the past history,the fact is nothing is going to change. And when manny gets fired, what are the odds they get the next hire right? So, the opporunity to bring in a highly qualified football mind has an immediate appeal.

The coach wouldn't answer to two bosses, just one, the football AD. The coach and the AD(AH) would work together, instead of having an AD(blake) who knows nothing about football.

I don't, but sometimes I can get into the articles. But when I go back to them, I hit a pay wall.
If it says you have used your allowed free views clear your history and then try. I have done that with the sun-sentinel which I do not have a subscription for and other newspapers and it has worked.

The NFL does it so Why the **** wouldn't Miami do it .... and maybe become an innovator.
It can be done, why not? All the pro leagues do it. But what happens when the entire thing falls down? And what if your HC and GM are both dumbasses? You’re cleaning house from top to bottom every how often? I don’t see a university adopting that kind of business model. It works in the pros because you have billionaire owners who are the real bosses of the organization. Such a structure doesn’t exist in college. Yes, you have influential boosters, but they are nowhere near as powerful as a single owner. I could go on and on. But I think pouring resources into recruiting and evaluation like the SEC does is a good place to begin, and I think Alonzo Highsmith would be a great fit for the job, but he’s not going to be on par with the head coach, can’t be. A Mario Cristobal or even a Matt Campbell type of coach would never come here with that setup.

Honestly think about it, what coach would want that? If you are a coach on the hot seat are you going to want someone to come in that would possibly fire you? No coach would be onboard with that

I would imagine someone who is not intimidated would be fine with that situation

Advertisement
This all falls on the BOT.THEY are the ones that wield the power.

All they have to do is tell Flake “ this is what’s going to happen.Hire Highsmith give him this much power and if you can’t or won’t do it we will get someone who can.

Tell Manure this is the way it Is and if he doesn’t like it tell him to quit and if he does it saves us from having to give him a buyout.

Neither of these two idiots has done anything where they should be able to tell the BOT anything.Its not like they are trying to hire someone to help Saban.This cuck lost to FIU.

Don’t give Flake or Manure a choice.They've done nothing to earn a say so in the matter.

Advertisement
Or he's so pathetically incompetent that he doesn't even realize it.

Got to admit...Manny has some major Huevos Rancheros with extra hot salsa. At least if he goes down it will be on his own terms. Maybe this is fool hardy, big egoed, and myopic on his part, or he is an f'n savage.

We could possibly still see Highsmith next year if he's only scouting in NFL or taking some time off. Not ready to go on the ledge yet like some of you. We can possibly still see him and Mario next season believe it or not.

You can't have 3 people in charge.....it was to work for everyone. I am in higher level management for a very large company and i would not be ok with reporting to 2 different people or having someone who's not my boss tell me what to do. Working with someone at a similar level? Fine....but i didn't get to where i'm at by deferring to others and i'm sure an alpha-type HC feels the same.

If the HC is in charge of all personnel (player and asst coach) decisions and Zo's role was assistant AD to work with instead of Blake (meaning same level of HC, not boss) for the rest of football operations, or Football AD with Blake moved elsewhere, then fine. But you need a very clear and workable reporting structure.
100% agreed.

You just broke the structure :)

The chance of Blake and Manny being gone any time SOON is slim to none, billboards or BOT suggestions not withstanding.

Even though even here in this thread some still object to it being said, and have for months if not years, the roster talent has been and is deficient. Talent of course is more than just raw skills and athletic ability, it includes smarts and attitude and leadership and discipline and hard work and dedication and sacrifice for all but maybe a natural 5-star-gifted Odelle or Tua TO DELIVER. Coaching has been deficient as well but in many ways the roster has been largely uncoachable by all but a Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant.

So we have a CHANCE that NOW someone to define and develop the roster and ensure excellent football operations and roster management could be engaged to do that. So maybe it would take a thinking outside the box REAL New Miami solution to offer co-equal or GM authority with or over HC Manny. And Blake should defer “all things football” to him, as his credentials warrant.

What an opportunity! Anyone who pooh-poohs it in the admin, donors or here at CIS should probably seriously rethink their objections.

Yes, it would. Someone like Danny White. But given who is on the BOT, their view of football, the fact they like Blake, the past history,the fact is nothing is going to change. And when manny gets fired, what are the odds they get the next hire right? So, the opporunity to bring in a highly qualified football mind has an immediate appeal.

The coach wouldn't answer to two bosses, just one, the football AD. The coach and the AD(AH) would work together, instead of having an AD(blake) who knows nothing about football.
It’s a paradox. Nothing is going to change and yet, this potential change as you describe it, would be an enormous change. So the Football AD would be overseen by the BoT? The same BoT we all despise. Or the school president? The same president who has absolutely no clue about football. And you’re going to strip the current AD of the most important sport in the athletic department? What happens when the Football AD and the HC don’t get along, even when the HC is the star of the show? Why would you give this one person so much power over the HC? It’s a good idea in theory, but it would breed more chaos and disorder like in the pros, IMO.

Advertisement
Back