Barry J. article 8/12/20

Honestly, I feel it’s more that he knows the position because he was coached well more than natural talent. His HS tape wasn’t that impressive in regards to jumping off film. He didn’t knock guys backwards and he looked average speed wise against HS players.
TAC’s tape on the other hand was legit. The kid had great speed and wrecked people. Unfortunately, I feel this maybe more of a lack of coaching skill by Patke than a praise to Flagg.

You a hater. Let that boy Flagg be great dawg. You not at practice each day. And you hated on Patke too in the same sentence.. He ain’t get where he is because he lacks coaching skill lol. Tape only shows highlights of players, G. Everyone knows Flagg is gonna go get you 10-12 per game. He has those intangibles you cannot teach. May not be flashy but gets it done. Looks like that will continue here as well. Numbers don’t lie when it comes to linebackers. One of the easiest positions to project IMO.

Advertisement
Been trying to tell y’all not to sleep on Flagg. May not have the measurables you’d hope for but he’s just a football player. Comes from a football factory and will come in well prepared. I think he’s going to have a very good career here. The type of kid who’s going to quietly rack up 12+ tackle games on the regular.

I’d like to see us dip into Houston/Texas area a little more regularly.

I wasn’t high on Flagg, and I make no bones about that. I’m still not high on him as he appeared to be more robotic, a kid that is well coached from a powerhouse. Saw a low ceiling with him that would struggle with the speed of the game at this level. But like with everything else; I would love to be wrong & will admit so. Here’s hoping he’s our version of Zach Thomas (an undersized LB from Texas w/o a lot of P5 offers, who SHOULD BE IN THE NFL HOF)

Pope is gonna put his foot in so many haters *** this year it won't even be funny...

We need this. We act like we weren’t clamoring for Pope when he came out. I need him to eat; we took him from Bama and he deserves better. I want him to blow up and shut a lot of ppl out. I think everyone deserves a mulligan on O this season based upon what we saw from Penos.

look up his highlights!!! He can run the ball!! Actually he comes from a long line of running backs. His great-grandfather played running back for Texas. His grandfather played running back for University of Houston, his uncle played running back for Texas A&M and his father played running back for UTEP
He walked on and earned a scholarship at the a University of Miami after having no reported offers out of high school. That’s an accomplishment either way. Most of us had to pay all four years. Hope he reaches his potential, whatever it may be.

Fans want to see Brooks, Huff, Cave and Flagg get time on the field and see what they can do, especially the guys in there with speed, which we’ve lacked. That’s just normal.

Advertisement
look up his highlights!!! He can run the ball!! Actually he comes from a long line of running backs. His great-grandfather played running back for Texas. His grandfather played running back for University of Houston, his uncle played running back for Texas A&M and his father played running back for UTEP

Welcome to the board, Mr. Ragone.

Oh Ragone..

Whatever happened to those guys who were yapping about "context clues".

So Miami just gave out Scholarship 84 to a walk-on (unknown whether Rousseau has withdrawn from school). So if we were using "context clues" to figure out whether the NCAA is going to pass a rule in the next couple of weeks to allow "opt-in" schools to take transfers from "opt-out" schools...it doesn't seem like the NCAA is walking through that door.

Maybe some rules will change for 2021, but it sounds like we have to saddle up with the posse we currently have. One spot left for a blueshirt or a transfer or a reclassifying high school senior.

Advertisement
I can’t hold a candle to you man. I’m just doing my small part where I have expertise and I’m an acknowledged (by me) CIS expert in Brockonian Law and Brockisms.

Yeah, the class on Brockonian Law filled up, I had to sign up for IC Law. You got the more fun class.

Surprised to not hear about holley, hunte, or miller at DT but glad Nesta & Ford have stepped up.
Same here. Especially Miller, but wanted to hear Holley and Hunte were pushing the starters. We got some young studs coming 2021 and I would love to hear the non starters are the real deal.

Advertisement
Been trying to tell y’all not to sleep on Flagg. May not have the measurables you’d hope for but he’s just a football player. Comes from a football factory and will come in well prepared. I think he’s going to have a very good career here. The type of kid who’s going to quietly rack up 12+ tackle games on the regular.

I’d like to see us dip into Houston/Texas area a little more regularly.
He's what, 5'11" 228 or something like that? That's not a bad size for a LB. I remember Zach Thomas falling in the draft because of his size, after being one of the most productive players in NCAA history. Crazy. Give me a guy with athletic ability and instincts over prototypical size, but rarely in the right place at the right time.

I think he's going to be a really, really good one for us.

Whatever happened to those guys who were yapping about "context clues".

So Miami just gave out Scholarship 84 to a walk-on (unknown whether Rousseau has withdrawn from school). So if we were using "context clues" to figure out whether the NCAA is going to pass a rule in the next couple of weeks to allow "opt-in" schools to take transfers from "opt-out" schools...it doesn't seem like the NCAA is walking through that door.

Maybe some rules will change for 2021, but it sounds like we have to saddle up with the posse we currently have. One spot left for a blueshirt or a transfer or a reclassifying high school senior.
That's the case for this year anyways. In this environment, with classes about to start, I can't imagine a Santonio Thomas like pick-up happening.

Same here. Especially Miller, but wanted to hear Holley and Hunte were pushing the starters. We got some young studs coming 2021 and I would love to hear the non starters are the real deal.
I'm sure they're playing ok overall, I just hope it's more of ford/nesta making a leap vs the youngsters not playing well but I guess we'll see eventually.

Advertisement
Like reading those up and coming names like Keontra Smith. Brooks and Roche are going to be household names...

He's what, 5'11" 228 or something like that? That's not a bad size for a LB. I remember Zach Thomas falling in the draft because of his size, after being one of the most productive players in NCAA history. Crazy. Give me a guy with athletic ability and instincts over prototypical size, but rarely in the right place at the right time.

I think he's going to be a really, really good one for us.
His deficiencies were straight-line speed and height. Very good in all other aspects. He'll at minimum contribute on special teams immediately and maybe earn second team reps by season's end.

His deficiencies were straight-line speed and height. Very good in all other aspects. He'll at minimum contribute on special teams immediately and maybe earn second team reps by season's end.
Straight line speed is over rated at LB. Give me a guy that runs a 4.6 and is always around the ball over a guy that can run a 4.4 but runs the wrong **** way. I love instinctual football players.

Straight line speed is over rated at LB. Give me a guy that runs a 4.6 and is always around the ball over a guy that can run a 4.4 but runs the wrong **** way. I love instinctual football players.
Ideally you have both. The speed and athleticism is what makes Avery Huff so intriguing. He may not have the polish Flagg has but once he becomes comfortable with the playbook watch out. Either way I'm optimistic about Flagg.

Advertisement
Back