Bandy Draft Analysis

The run support comments are the most disappointing. Bandy was a force against the run as a sophomore. Now he’s leaving early as a 5’9 corner coming off a bad year.
Yeah I remember during that awful stretch at the end of the season, one thing that was lost was how viciously he was playing the run. Probably the most physical I’ve seen one of our CBs play in a long time.

Advertisement
The run support comments are the most disappointing. Bandy was a force against the run as a sophomore. Now he’s leaving early as a 5’9 corner coming off a bad year.
Was he really bad against the run last year? Maybe I was so disappointed about everything else I missed something.

I don't know how anyone can judge him for trying to provide for his family. If he stays another year, he's not going to get any taller. He's also not getting any younger.

He will likely make a 53 man roster in my opinion, and if he is practice squad guy he will make over 100,000$.

Miami CB Trajan Bandy "plays with inconsistent footwork and a level of nonchalance in space" according to NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

Bandy (5'9/186) is projected to be a Day 3 draft pick, and while he is certainly capable of making big plays it was the routine ones that got him in trouble at times. Add in struggles in defending the run, and the former Hurricane has some work to do during the pre-draft process. "His recovery burst can cover up for mid-rep mistakes, but he will need to correct his fundamentals to handle slot coverage in the pros," Zierlein, who believes that Bandy is more effective in zone coverage, wrote in his analysis. Bandy finished the 2019 season with 29 total tackles, eight pass breakups and three sacks.

Yea, we know he “needed the money” but like most that left early, he wasn’t ready. Considering the youth of our secondary and his mediocre Jr year. It wasn’t a smart business decision to leave.
Horrible advising by his support system. Everybody needs money when they are in college. Dude should have finished his degree and showed out his senior year.

Stop with the pobresito stories aka explanations aka excuses.

I don't know how anyone can judge him for trying to provide for his family. If he stays another year, he's not going to get any taller. He's also not getting any younger.

He will likely make a 53 man roster in my opinion, and if he is practice squad guy he will make over 100,000$.
Yea but you get another year of strength training, which helps in defending the run, and a year to clean up ur footwork. Its bad advising to leave. Get your degree and better your stock.

Advertisement
Anyone know what the legality of moving his daughter and girl into his dorm with him? If you are given a free house, idc how broke you are. Plus its easy as **** to steal food from chartwells. He could easily feed his wife and kid off food he picks up from chartwells. So many kids used to wrap up sandwhiches and other dry food in napkins and bring them back to their dorm.

Its not hard to survive for just 1 more year so you can make a couple extra mil.
It’s unfortunate because literally everyone knew he wasn’t ready and he himself may have even known it, but felt like he had no other option.

I would have liked to see him back this year, but now that he’s in this situation I hope he kills it at the combine and during his pro day and can sneak into the 6th or 7th round.

Fvck the college experience. If my option is "have a good college experience and end up undrafted" or "live with my girl and kid in the dorm for a year to become a 2nd day draft pick". I am picking option 2 everytime. Tons of kid each year commute to school and work full time jobs. Not getting the "true college experience".
How about you don't make a kid and be responsible

Advertisement

Judging him for making a family without means to support.

This, I thought he played the run really well in 2018.

Getting the degree is just as valuable as making a few extra mil in the short term. Look at a guy like Braxton berrios. He’s gonna leave it all on the field and if it doesn’t work out he’s gonna go use that degree he got and six figures. Obviously he’s the extreme case because of his academic acumen but still. A degree from Miami is worth a lot still.

Advertisement
Not that I fully agree with Bandy‘a decision, **** I can barely judge either way because I’m not in his position, but y’all do realize they can come back and get their degree right after right?

Thats why a lot of them leave early, they know they can just come back to finish class.

If you honestly believe that Trajan Bandy could not have improved his game and draft stock by returning for another year, then you believe he’ll never play in the NFL. He’s not good enough to be an NFL corner now. If you believe he can’t get better in college where he’ll get a ton of reps and a ton of game time, how can you believe he’ll get better on an NFL practice squad where you’re just attempting to imitate the opposing team’s defense? Maybe he gets drafted late. Maybe he makes a practice squad. That’s good for roughly $140 grand if he stays on the squad for the entire season. A very solid payday. However, if you look at the average non-quarterback practice squad career, it’s rally short lived. As in, he would be lucky to have a second year on the squad. The incredibly short sighted view of “just get into the league and latch on somewhere” almost never pans out long term. The NFL doesn’t have a minor league or a developmental program. Practice squad players are NOT being groomed for to be potential rostered players. It’s not the NBA G league or MLB minor leagues where a player’s only focus is on improving his game enough to get called up. The practice squad’s sole purpose is to give the actual team someone to practice against to prepare for an opponent. The short term $150,000 windfall is nice but it’s not something that’s going to affect you long term unless you’re incredibly frugal with it and invest it well.

Last edited:
Fvck the college experience. If my option is "have a good college experience and end up undrafted" or "live with my girl and kid in the dorm for a year to become a 2nd day draft pick". I am picking option 2 everytime. Tons of kid each year commute to school and work full time jobs. Not getting the "true college experience".

Lol you telling me that’s why he left? Lol didn’t we just sign a kid with 2 kids? Lol was Miami not going to help him out his last year? Doesn’t make sense why Miami wouldn’t help out a 3 year starter to help raise his family.

Advertisement
Miami CB Trajan Bandy "plays with inconsistent footwork and a level of nonchalance in space" according to NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

Bandy (5'9/186) is projected to be a Day 3 draft pick, and while he is certainly capable of making big plays it was the routine ones that got him in trouble at times. Add in struggles in defending the run, and the former Hurricane has some work to do during the pre-draft process. "His recovery burst can cover up for mid-rep mistakes, but he will need to correct his fundamentals to handle slot coverage in the pros," Zierlein, who believes that Bandy is more effective in zone coverage, wrote in his analysis. Bandy finished the 2019 season with 29 total tackles, eight pass breakups and three sacks.

Yea, we know he “needed the money” but like most that left early, he wasn’t ready. Considering the youth of our secondary and his mediocre Jr year. It wasn’t a smart business decision to leave.

Look..we know Bandy needed a year but I’m not buying what that hack is selling.

Colin: "Who are guys that your opinion isn't as high as everyone else's"

Lance: "Pat Mahomes. It's easy to get excited about the big arm, there's no question he's got it, and the swagger and confidence, I'm with you. But, you can't throw up balls in a weak conference (Big 12), and get away with it in the NFL. Too often he makes throws that will be a pick in the NFL. He makes plays that are improvised, just like Johnny Manziel. In the NFL, you have to win from the pocket, he would have to learn how to do that. His tape doesn't measure up to the top 15 draft pick, I don't see it."

Lance: "Deshaun Watson, his velocity doesn't bother me, he has it when he needs it. What bothers me about him is he's a double digit INT guy every year he's started, he doesn't make the best decisions."

Lol you telling me that’s why he left? Lol didn’t we just sign a kid with 2 kids? Lol was Miami not going to help him out his last year? Doesn’t make sense why Miami wouldn’t help out a 3 year starter to help raise his family.
The NCAA prohibits schools from "helping out". Miami isn't going to give anybody extra money because they have a kid.

The way this board evaluates our players, I question whether some of you have watched the NFL the past decade. I've been guilty of it at times, but some of you are consistently seeing things that just aren't there.

First off, the NFL has a 53 man roster and a few practice squad spots. Look at the DBs drafted in the late rounds, or are signed as UDFA and get back to us on the amount that make either list. It's sparse. It doesn't mean you aren't a good player, but they have more invested in players they liked a lot more because they do something particularly well and are hoping they can sure up the other areas enough to be an effective NFL players. At DB, that is the difference from between being reliable or a complete defensive liability. NFL teams will know precisely how to spot and attack a liability.

If you watch the NFL and look at the type of offenses being run, there are certain skills you must have at DB, and he had a really rough year of showcasing those starting around the second or third play against UNC. It did not get better during the season. So no, he isn't getting taller or much quicker, but he could benefit from showing he's worth a little bit more of an investment than he's likely to get. It could really make the difference between earning virtually no NFL checks and some NFL checks which some of you keep explaining is his goal, apparently.

Advertisement
Back