Bandwagon Canes game thread (Duke Game Thread)

Advertisement
At what point is this a coaching issue?

Once again, the Miami fanbase proves that it is one of the least knowledgeable in the country. I want you to tell me how Coach L or any other coach can scheme their way out of guys traveling with the basketball on **** near every possession, guys not concentrating on free throws, and defensive breakdowns EVERYWHERE. Yep, Coach L magically forgot how to coach between the end of the first half, and the beginning of the second. Young teams have to not only learn how to deal with adversity, they have to learn how to deal with success. This team doesn't do any of that well.

No PG

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
That and Murphy thinks he got a shot

Murphy has missed 3 shots tonight. And has 14 rebounds. We aren't losing because of his effort.

Murphy kills runs, because he consistently does stupid crap. Be it taking shots that he has no business taking, turning it over, because he has literally no ability to handle the rock, Murphy is a net negative. Someone has to get rebounds on this team, Murphy happens to be the guy who gets them, but he doesn't provide Miami with much else. His basketball IQ is below zero, which is pathetic when one considers that he is a FIFTH YEAR SENIOR.

Advertisement
Up 11 at half to down 19.

That's incredible.

This is not a good duke team either.

Miami sucks this year haven't beaten anyone that's top 70 really.

We may be young, but dang we got like 3 too 50 players with 4 top 100 players.

We shouldn't be losing by 20.

I changed it after Duke hit the 3 to tie it at 37. Anyone that has watched this team this year should have known it was over then. This team is not very consistent at all. Whether they sneak in to the NCAA tourney or get a 1/2 seed in the NIT, they have one and done written all over them. You can't beat decent teams or better without playing a complete game; and this team has played MAYBE one complete game (@ Pitt) all year.

No PG

Murphy has missed 3 shots tonight. And has 14 rebounds. We aren't losing because of his effort.

Murphy kills runs, because he consistently does stupid crap. Be it taking shots that he has no business taking, turning it over, because he has literally no ability to handle the rock, Murphy is a net negative. Someone has to get rebounds on this team, Murphy happens to be the guy who gets them, but he doesn't provide Miami with much else. His basketball IQ is below zero, which is pathetic when one considers that he is a FIFTH YEAR SENIOR.

Not really. Could be nobody getting rebounds, or getting far fewer. Murphy is who he is. He's a good defender and rebounder (both offensive and defensive). He should be banned from shooting outside of 5 feet. To say he's a net negative means you also have no idea what you're talking about.

Advertisement
I changed it after Duke hit the 3 to tie it at 37. Anyone that has watched this team this year should have known it was over then. This team is not very consistent at all. Whether they sneak in to the NCAA tourney or get a 1/2 seed in the NIT, they have one and done written all over them. You can't beat decent teams or better without playing a complete game; and this team has played MAYBE one complete game (@ Pitt) all year.

This is fair.

684e245b307f2b94ede229434eefec45.gif

This is fair.

It is what it is. Miami will always have the season (or two) of "rebuilding" or "reloading". We don't bring in the one and done talent that is ready to play the very second they step on campus. Next season (or maybe the year after) should be more of what we've come to expect since Coach L took over.

The problem is that this is the first Miami basketball game a lot of these fans have watched this year.

This is fair.

It is what it is. Miami will always have the season (or two) of "rebuilding" or "reloading". We don't bring in the one and done talent that is ready to play the very second they step on campus. Next season (or maybe the year after) should be more of what we've come to expect since Coach L took over.

The problem is that this is the first Miami basketball game a lot of these fans have watched this year.

I think it's the first Miami basketball game a lot of these "fans" have watched ever.

Advertisement
I've watched a few games this year. I was surprised we were even competitive in the first half. Newton is no point guard and the center position is a liability. Other than Davon Reed there is no consistent three threat. Tonye was a real force down low. Sheldon and Angel could score. We miss that. Yes, the game has been terribly officiated in the second half (this is the ACC after all) but it would not have mattered. We need a big down low that can force things. We don't have it. And we need three point shooters. We don't have that either. This is a team without an offensive identity other than Newton playing 1 v 5 and that is not a recipe for success. We might make the NIT. We certainly not a team capable of the big dance. To say otherwise is to lie to yourself.

Newton has become painful to watch at this point. When he starts "shakin' and bakin'" at the top of the key, I immediately start getting nauseous thinking about him driving into a 4 on 1 situation and attempting to make a shot.

stopped watching when they hit the 3 to tie. it was over then. No pg, would have kept one of lecomte or the older cook.

duke sucks as well

Advertisement
I've watched a few games this year. I was surprised we were even competitive in the first half. Newton is no point guard and the center position is a liability. Other than Davon Reed there is no consistent three threat. Tonye was a real force down low. Sheldon and Angel could score. We miss that. Yes, the game has been terribly officiated in the second half (this is the ACC after all) but it would not have mattered. We need a big down low that can force things. We don't have it. And we need three point shooters. We don't have that either. This is a team without an offensive identity other than Newton playing 1 v 5 and that is not a recipe for success. We might make the NIT. We certainly not a team capable of the big dance. To say otherwise is to lie to yourself.

This team will easily make the NIT, this is a 6-9 win ACC team, and that's an NIT team. What's frustrating about this squad is that despite their shortcomings(This is an NCAA team with Manu at the point), they should be at .500 in conference play or better. To blow an 11 point halftime lead, to blow a late lead against Notre Dame is something that you just can't get over.

No PG

Not really. Could be nobody getting rebounds, or getting far fewer. Murphy is who he is. He's a good defender and rebounder (both offensive and defensive). He should be banned from shooting outside of 5 feet. To say he's a net negative means you also have no idea what you're talking about.

Net negative because outside of his rebounding, he kills the team. I love how you throw out the "You don't know what you are talking about" whenever you disagree with people. Kamari's defensive prowess is a little overstated, he is a slightly above average defender. He's athletic as all ****, but he also is awful in regards to applying simple concepts. For every beautiful block we see, there are multiple plays in which he is totally out of position, and break downs. Once again, when you combine the fact that Kamari is an awful offensive player, with the thing he does well, it is hard to look at him as nothing but a drag. Just remember the following: Kamari averages 7.8 rebounds per game, Bruce Brown averages 7.1. Kamari is a role player, the problem is that he doesn't think that he is.

Austincane is the same idiot poster who wanted Davon Reed to graduate. He is the most clueless poster on here and proves it again in this thread.

At halftime I told the group I was watching the game with that we had a 1 in 4 chance of holding on.

Obviously that was wildly optimistic.

When a talented opponent extends the defense and plays with legit intensity, we are ridiculously simple to shut down. No offensive identity whatsoever.

I read concerns that Bruce Brown might turn pro, this year or next. Turn pro at what? When you have a legitimate NBA talent and are experiencing a drought like we faced in the second half, that guy would be the automatic centerpiece. The announcers would be all over it and the coach would make sure of it. His talent would take over for a few quick buckets to stem the tide. Instead, there is nothing. Brown wasn't earning a mention and rarely a possession.

Miami has nicer recruits right now than typical. They are not elite turn pro early recruits. Anybody who doesn't understand that is sadly kidding themselves. There are distinct tiers in college basketball, based on aura and elitism. We are not elite and never will be. Larranaga may be the best coach on campus right now. That's meaningless in terms of national championship opportunity. Football and baseball have exponentially greater opportunity to return to that level than the basketball program has of ever reaching it. Same with my alma mater USC.

I still don't understand why that D.J. kid sees the court. Someone touted as a sharpshooter should be an occasional threat to actually sink something when it matters.

I'm sure he'll drain a few in home games when everything is going swell and some team allows him to catch and fire.

Advertisement
Back