Bama to pass 01 miami as best college team ever?

I have to let that LSU team age a bit.
It's a different era than our '01 Canes but giving up 22 ppg has me hedging.
I would rather see 40/14 pf/pa than 48/22.
That defense was loaded with NFL talent, they gave up a lot of meaningless 2nd half points in routs that effected their stats and teams got a ton of extra game posession's because they scored so fast. I'm not saying they are the GOAT, but the D #s are a bit deceiving IMO.

Offensively it was the best CFB team ever, that's not even really debatable.

Advertisement
I would take the Bama and Nebraska teams due to coaching. Coker **** near blew two games in the 01 season with all of that talent.

Frank Costa missed a wide open Taj Johnson streaking down the sidelines. I was there. Costa was an average QB. He had a decent 1st half and the OL fell apart (Erickson loved having big slow lazy useless sows on the OL) and Costa crumbled under the pressure. Defense got tired and they wore us down with the option. I was also there for getting the streak broken that year by Washington. That defense was one of the best ever but it gets overshadowed by the hit and miss offense.
Basically our entire DL was either Hurt...or out like Patrick Riley (tore acl in last game of season)...If our DL was at full strength...we Win....you saw what Sapp did by himself....imagine a healthy Riley...Lang and Holmes with Sapp...

No one will take out the 00-02 Canes IMO in terms of NFL talent we produced.

But in terms of just draft numbers - what Alabama is doing is unprecedented.

Advertisement
That defense was loaded with NFL talent, they gave up a lot of meaningless 2nd half points in routs that effected their stats and teams got a ton of extra game posession's because they scored so fast. I'm not saying they are the GOAT, but the D #s are a bit deceiving IMO.

Offensively it was the best CFB team ever, that's not even really debatable.

You could argue on the O depending on your preferred style of play.
No question one of the greatest ever.
Although there was that Army team in the 40's that average 55 per. I hear @TheMatador had season tickets so he may have some input.

You make good points about their D.
Especially their last 4 games.

This is what college football has become.
I'm going to have to get used to it.

Advertisement
Back