Bama Game: Pre Camp notes from their side

I know it’s apples to oranges but on paper this Alabama team looks real similar to their 2017 team minus Jalen Hurts running ability. Thoughts?

Advertisement
Defensively it reminds me of the 2016 team on paper. That front 7 looks like it is going to cause problems for every team they face. That said, their secondary could be vulnerable. But an OL rotation of JWilliams or Scaife/Rivers/Gaynor/Donaldson/Zion should be afraid of no one. They have all been through the tough battles and have seen it all. I would be highly disappointed if I saw some guys getting bytched and not fighting for 60min. I dont care who Bama has and how many stars they had out of HS. We got grown men too.

And that goes for our DL too. Ford, Miller, Nesta, JHH, McCloud and DeJohnson shouldnt be running from anyone. I want Saban and Bill O'Brien to leave that game and say at the post game press conference win or lose, "That is probably the best defense and defensive line we will play all year. Those guys are no joke and gave our OL fits all game". That is how I will know Mannys Defense is back.

D, we will not score 30.. I think 14might be pushing it. We have not done a good job scoring in years against big time teams. Lashlee will have to call a perfect game and King has to be more accurate than he's ever been in his life.
we will need a King that is 100%. He does his damage when he can improvise and run. His accuracy will always be a question mark but it is the threat of taking off that makes him a wild card that defenses can't scheme for, unless they want to give up a guy to spy on him the whole time.

Miami has upped their recruiting the last 2 years. Miami has signed 2 FIVE stars and 24 FOUR stars. Alabama in the same time span has signed 11 FIVE stars and 33 FOUR stars. With that said Alabama isn't the same team as last year. Their defense could be better, but defense doesn't win anymore in college football. You have to score. Alabama should take a big step backwards in offensive production this year. Bryce Young is a solid QB, but he struggles some with accuracy, best attribute is moving outside the pocket extending plays, and throwing on the move.

Their best WR is Metchie, and while he is a good player, HE IS NOT Juedy, Ruggs, Smith, Waddle, etc....Robinson is a solid RB, but he is not Najee Harris.
So what you're saying is Bama wins by 16 instead of 26 ...

Advertisement
Lol man how do we know that? Im not scared of Bama but all offseason I been seeing praises of this dude and to me he ain’t the best cover corner on the team until he proves it. Couch is. I have nothing against dude but what has he done yet. Im standing on it til I see it
T. Couch is our best cover corner.

Was thinking about this: if you’re Manny, is this the type of game where you invite many of the past greats that played in (and won) some of the biggest games in school history, just to impart on the current guys what to expect and how to handle things? Or, would you treat this game “like any other game” since it really means little by way of ultimate season’s goals and attempt to avoid a let down. Just curious; been a long offseason!

Advertisement
I know it’s apples to oranges but on paper this Alabama team looks real similar to their 2017 team minus Jalen Hurts running ability. Thoughts?
I think that’s a good start for comparison but I’ve listened to Bama folks who’ve said they expect Young to be a better thrower but not as good of a runner as Hurts. So maybe a move in that direction but not to the fullest degree.

Was thinking about this: if you’re Manny, is this the type of game where you invite many of the past greats that played in (and won) some of the biggest games in school history, just to impart on the current guys what to expect and how to handle things? Or, would you treat this game “like any other game” since it really means little by way of ultimate season’s goals and attempt to avoid a let down. Just curious; been a long offseason!
The latter. We're going to lose, likely badly. If I'm Manny, I'm just hoping that we look competitive, play a sound game, and survive intact for App St the next week.

The latter. We're going to lose, likely badly. If I'm Manny, I'm just hoping that we look competitive, play a sound game, and survive intact for App St the next week.
Yeah. I'm sure Manny is going into this game with that frame of mind.:rolleyes:

scared season 1 GIF by The White Princess

I don't know what Saban does but HS is h.s, being a 5 star doesnt guarantee success in college.
But they have technically the most 5 star athletes and just won a title, lost all of that roster which was one of the best we ever seen and are ranked number 1. Yea no success. sheeeeeeeeeesh.......... @RVACane How do u do it bruh how?

Advertisement
Obviously Bama is going to be very good and are loaded across the board but I don't see the superstar game changers that typically dot the 1st round of the next NFL draft. I like Metchie's game, Will Anderson can be really disruptive so maybe him. Evan Neal for sure but he is just one O Lineman so the impact isnt as great on the final outcome of a game.

DeVonte Smith, Waddle, Najee Harris, Tagovailoa, Jeudy, Quinen Williams, Surtain, even Barmore. Dont see those types, at least not yet.

I know those guys are on the roster but they are young or have not done it consistently yet. And this is game 1. Thats why I am hopefully we can make it interesting.

Obviously Bama is going to be very good and are loaded across the board but I don't see the superstar game changers that typically dot the 1st round of the next NFL draft. I like Metchie's game, Will Anderson can be really disruptive so maybe him. Evan Neal for sure but he is just one O Lineman so the impact isnt as great on the final outcome of a game.

DeVonte Smith, Waddle, Najee Harris, Tagovailoa, Jeudy, Quinen Williams, Surtain, even Barmore. Dont see those types, at least not yet.

I know those guys are on the roster but they are young or have not done it consistently yet. And this is game 1. Thats why I am hopefully we can make it interesting.
Their D is still loaded and returns a good amount of experience. Dale is their next great NT along with Tim Smith who played a bunch last year for them. We will find out quickly if the hype around our OL is real.

Advertisement
But they have technically the most 5 star athletes and just won a title, lost all of that roster which was one of the best we ever seen and are ranked number 1. Yea no success. sheeeeeeeeeesh.......... @RVACane How do u do it bruh how?
I mean he’s right that being a 5 star doesn’t guarantee success but the likelihood of success from 5 stars is at a higher rate than 4 and 3 stars. Blue Chip ratios matter in terms of roster talent and chances for success. Anyone who thinks there’s no correlation between program success and landing more top kids than others is off.

I mean he’s right that being a 5 star doesn’t guarantee success but the likelihood of success from 5 stars is at a higher rate than 4 and 3 stars. Blue Chip ratios matter in terms of roster talent and chances for success. Anyone who thinks there’s no correlation between program success and landing more top kids than others is off.
Its true but thats Saban, hes most likely picking the right 5 and 4 stars. Them boys aint number 1 for nothing

Their D is still loaded and returns a good amount of experience. Dale is their next great NT along with Tim Smith who played a bunch last year for them. We will find out quickly if the hype around our OL is real.
I literally said they are still loaded and have future stars on the roster. Not questioning that. My point is they dont have elite PROVEN superstars returning like they usually do and this is the first game figuring it all out.

Alabama had 6 consensus 1st team all amercians last year. A few more on the 2nd and 3rd team. NONE return. No returning player was on 1st, 2nd or 3rd team AP All American list. No doubt some will emerge but this is a nice year to catch them early. Even on defense (which I admit is stacked) they still did lose their best DL (Barmore), best LB (Dylan Moses) and best DB (Surtain)

They won last season, doesn't mean this year's players are just as good or have the same chemistry.
I know you love to worship bama and Saban but is a different season. Heisman winner DeVonta Smith gone, Mac Jones (3rd in the Heisman) gone, running back Najee Harris (5th in the Heisman) gone, wide receiver Jaylen Waddle gone, left tackle Alex Leatherwood gone, left guard Deonte Brown gone, center Landon ****erson gone, tight end Miller Forristall gone.

New QB who is inexperienced both in playing time and years out of high school. A new offensive coordinator.

Some here love to suck off Bama and call it objectivity. Well they don't win every year and with our experience and returning talent we can beat them.
But go ahead keep sucking them off.

Advertisement
Back