Bama Front

oracleturts

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
What kind of defensive front do they run? I watched a video by Alex Collins on YouTube explaining how the Bucs used the tight front to neutralize the Chiefs offense in the super bowl. Apparently, it is used primarily in the college game to shut down the RPO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Alabama is traditionally a Base 3-4 defense in structure but they pay plenty of fronts including the tite front you mentioned. This is a good idea on Bama's defense from a Kirby Smart clinic. Breaks down how and why they play odd/even. Starts at 25:00

Last edited:
They're base is an Odd front, but like the rest of the world, once you get out of a traditional two back, TE set they go to a 40 front.
I don't expect ever a standard 30 front from then against us. They may have a 40G, tite, wide, weak or strong sets based on the call.
I've mentioned this before, defenses now have to be completely reactionary based on the offensive sets and personelle.

They may call said front and blitz and coverage, but fi they come out with with this, this is how we adjust. That's how defenses work now.

Advertisement
This is the matchup that concerns me the most , their front versus our ol. Tbh both trenches do , we’re smallish on the dl versus their huge ol. But the tackles are out strength. De might be an issue in this matchup. We’ll find out really fast what kind of day it’ll be.

Alabama is traditionally a Base 3-4 defense in structure but they pay plenty of odd fronts including the tite front you mentioned. This is a good idea on Bama's defense from a Kirby Smart clinic. Breaks down how and why they play odd/even. Starts at 25:00

Good share. It was an interesting watch in general. Tbh made me a little envious of some disguised looks we missed with Baker that Manny ran in 17

I thought they run a "tite" front (basically Buddy Ryan's Bears D) and with LBs, can account for every gap.

I still offer Bama is built (capabilities wise) like an old school ball-control O and D, just disguised as a "spread" team.
They will definitely line up in that tite front because of how much inside zone/RPO we ran last year. It takes away a double team on the A gap defender. Some teams will cheat their splits down between the guard and tackle to get a double on the 4i but that also shrinks running lanes.

This is the matchup that concerns me the most , their front versus our ol. Tbh both trenches do , we’re smallish on the dl versus their huge ol. But the tackles are out strength. De might be an issue in this matchup. We’ll find out really fast what kind of day it’ll be.
👆THIS👆.

Think about it.

If Miami opens with (likely) an up-tempo high-play-count attack AND goes 3 and out (we've never seen that again, and again, and again from Miami's O) with the way rules are slanted, Bamas O is going to run wilding because our Canes' D will be on the field all **** day.

It all comes down to the trenches.

Miami's O absolutely MUST stay on the field and keep the ball away from the Tide's O.

Advertisement
I think we are also going to find out really quick if this secondary is as good as we all think they are esp the CBs. If our DEs cannot create a pash rush than Manny will have to send more blitzes which will leave guys like Ivey/TS/Couch and at times Blades on islands and they will have to hold the line or this will be a long day.

If we can create coverage sacks early on..things could get very interesting as the confidence of the D will only go up from there and once a Manny Diaz defense gets confident its pretty much lights out as history has shown.

👆THIS👆.

Think about it.

If Miami opens with (likely) an up-tempo high-play-count attack AND goes 3 and out (we've never seen that again, and again, and again from Miami's O) with the way rules are slanted, Bamas O is going to run wilding because our Canes' D will be on the field all **** day.

It all comes down to the trenches.
While I agree with the overall narrative...Our defense getting tired is the last thing that worries me. We were probably the most well conditioned defense in all of college last year. There were games when our guys just didnt get tired. As if they were downing 5hr energy shots in between quarters. Esp the VTech and UVA games in particular. I just knew we would break in the 4th quarter and we never did. In fact we got stronger as the game went on.

If Bama is going to whoop us its just because they are way better. (Clemson and UNC last year) but it wont be because we ran out of gas. JMO.

Cribby I did some research on their OL and they are exactly the same size as our OL. within 10-15 pounds

Advertisement
Cribby I did some research on their OL and they are exactly the same size as our OL. within 10-15 pounds
I think he's referring a few different variables, not solely size.
If you put our OL versus their, the eye test will slant towards Bama's. Furthermore, our OL is at least testing wise, I would say more athletic, but it's made to lean on people, even schematically, which is exactly what Alabama is made for.
Still surprised to not see up for zone uglies, split zone and counter treys, and we do run them, rather see those are more of a staple then IZ.

What kind of defensive front do they run? I watched a video by Alex Collins on YouTube explaining how the Bucs used the tight front to neutralize the Chiefs offense in the super bowl. Apparently, it is used primarily in the college game to shut down the RPO.
Usually 3/4 but they’ve been more multiple since Dashuan ran all over them..press man, a press quarters and cover 7.

Advertisement
They will definitely line up in that tite front because of how much inside zone/RPO we ran last year. It takes away a double team on the A gap defender. Some teams will cheat their splits down between the guard and tackle to get a double on the 4i but that also shrinks running lanes.
What's the counter to that? swing passes and toss plays? How do you get them out of that to spread them out?

While I agree with the overall narrative...Our defense getting tired is the last thing that worries me. We were probably the most well conditioned defense in all of college last year. There were games when our guys just didnt get tired. As if they were downing 5hr energy shots in between quarters. Esp the VTech and UVA games in particular. I just knew we would break in the 4th quarter and we never did. In fact we got stronger as the game went on.

If Bama is going to whoop us its just because they are way better. (Clemson and UNC last year) but it wont be because we ran out of gas. JMO.
What I meant was twofold...

1) Fitness of course is important and the players need gas in the tank for all 4Qs and overtime

2) My bigger thrust (ham handed as it was) was the rule sets are so skewed towards keeping an O on the field, how can they not score? Saban🤮 has talked about this before where he no longer believes an elite defense can stop even above average offenses without self-inflicted setbacks (dropped pass, fumbles, offensive penalties, etc.). As of yet, Miami's D hasn't been proven as elite and Bama's machine doesn't need extra help on O.

I believe a huge factor, besides the OL, for Miami is can a receiver (Restrepo?) be our Canes' Wes Welker and move the ball 3-4 yards (or more down the field) with every touch? Is it a receiving back that gets those critical yards? Lashlee and the players need to stay on the field and keep the chains moving.

Question: Instead of uptempo play count strategy, should Miami drain every second off the play clock to at least start the game? Fantastic or folly??

@Lance Roffers would you go fast plays or eat up the clock to start?

They don't run nothing unique. They are well coached by pro level coordinators and the best assistants is college ball. Did I mention they also have the best talent to execute their systems.

Advertisement
Back