Bama Fatigue

So your hypothesis is that a bunch of people in the south, including Alabama, which is a very conservative state, are sooooo turned off by football players having opinions of their own, that they will stop watching football, including Alabama's national championship game?

Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Or maybe it's because a female kicked the football one time in a Vanderbilt blowout loss. Maybe that's why the Alabama-Ohio Taint ratings were so low...

I guess u haven’t seen certain tweets; and u do realize that the whole state of Alabama don’t root for Alabama, right? Lol.

And again, I said the whole sports world have tanked in ratings

Advertisement
SC fans tend not to be that fair weather. Even during the second go-round of Robinson days, they supported pretty consistently.

UCLA fans r definitely fair weather. I forget they even have a football team from time to time. Lol.

Portland is weird town; I believe their slogan is “Keep Portland Weird.” But u right; the North West is not rabid about CFB; in fact, they don’t care as u said. I think Seattle used to be a transplant city...not sure if it still is.

You're right man. Portland is a weird town. I personally embrace weird. If it's not awesome, it's at least very entertaining. But in fairness, this town is all about acceptance, weed and strip clubs. In something close to that order.

I'm kind of besides myself with the notion that UCLA has football fans. What have they done to ever deserve them?

You're right man. Portland is a weird town. I personally embrace weird. If it's not awesome, it's at least very entertaining. But in fairness, this town is all about acceptance, weed and strip clubs. In something close to that order.

I'm kind of besides myself with the notion that UCLA has football fans. What have they done to ever deserve them?

Lol; yeah man. My boy used to live in Portland & he loved it there. Said traffic was bad, but he loved the weirdness. Lol. One thing was he had to change his CA plates ASAP b/c they were on his head. Lol

As far as UCLA, it’s mostly about their basketball pedigree. I believe in the 80’s that had strong stretch where they were actually the dominant team between the two schools. Donahue had them cooking in bowl games, particularly the Rose Bowl for a good stretch, and that carried over to the Toledo days until like the late 90’s. They’ve always been a program where they’ll have a player or 3, but not a whole team. I think the most they’ve ever won in a season is 10 games & that’s only happened a handful of times.

Advertisement
Television ratings are lower across the board because they have now way to track streaming viewers. With so many people ditching cable, TV numbers are skewed.
Facts
And the game being on cable TV instead of CBS or ABC lowers them also.

I need some help then.... I live in NJ and would love to ditch cable (optimum) but the reason I don't is because of Live TV.... any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
I still have cable, but right now I'm playin' around with YouTubeTV to see if I like it. The 3 drawbacks to YTTV is the picture loses focus from time to time, there's like a 20 second delay between YTTV and cable, and you don't get The Weather Channel with YTTV.

As far as live TV/local channels, I'm trying this little antenna called the Magic Stick...works a lot better than I expected, picked up 17 channels with it. And surprisingly the picture is better with antenna TV than cable, satellite, streaming, etc.. Wish antenna TV would offer more options though.

Advertisement
Murray Hill, I presume? If not, it'd be Midtown East or the Upper West location, I'd guess... although they did have one in Union Square for a minute too, before Manhattan started to die and I left. That used to be my spot for games until I realized it was a terrible place to watch games.

And hey, we call it BroJim's.

I hate on it even though it was mostly good, aside from the straphanger Bama fans that come for their games. Really, honestly have no idea what Bama fans would ever be doing in Manhattan.

You know Vilma is a part owner of that, right?
BroJim’s you know the place! I had that typed but wanted to spread the word if people wanted to search for it. I usually went to the Midtown location, it seemed to have more diehards there! I heard about Vilma being part owner, but totally forgot about that.

Here’s a stat that’ll bunch your jimmies. In the 14 years Sabag has been at Bama, every class has won at least one NC.

Advertisement
So what you're saying is... Fox News will acquire the rights to college football?
No. I’m saying that limiting success to three states perpetually will cause disinterest to surge. Combine that with economic factors of trying to (unsuccessfully) compete, the huge college athletic dep debt problems, and the political issues that emerge when colleges scrimp on spending for everything but football, and you have a recipe for a sport that is at best a niche regional sport in a generation (ala collegiant wrestling) and at worst a sport that is banned in most states.

If I’m not mistaken, not ?ing the ratings, but sports in general since the pandemic have taken a massive dump in ratings.

I’m not sure if it has anything to do w Bama fatigue per say, vs. ppl being upset about “agendas” being pushed into sports that crosses over in the “p” word....the “p” word becoming very heavy on ppl’s mind, and the pandemic.

That and viewers have been on the decline for years prior to the pandemic. Not only from their sofa, but attendance in person as well.

When I grew up, sports were always on the television. It was a family thing, bonding time, discussions on teams, etc. I used to watch something every season.

As an adult, I don't have that kind of free time. As I've said before in other topics, forget about having the kids join me there in front of the television, they've got tablets, their own television, and platform / computer games to mess with instead if they aren't playing with the neighborhood kids. Sports were also a topic at work, nowhere near the same amount these days.

Sports aren't going away, but there's never been competition like their is today. My kids are 7 and 10, also an 18 year old. They don't latch onto that generation, the numbers will continue to fall.

Advertisement
Being a small fish in a big pond doesn't necessarily make you a small fish in a small pond. To say the NYMA market doesn't really care about college football, to me, is absurd. But admittedly, there may be some observation bias there. I realize Manhattan, especially lower Manhattan, is a small part of NYC, let alone the NYMA. I think it's safe to say NJ doesn't really care about it, at all, short of the Penn State fans in the area. They're all NFL. I wasn't exactly watching games at Far Rockaway, Jamaica or whatever is north of 125th.

Not that it really makes a difference, but as a Miami alum, moving to NYC was like going to an off-campus apartment. Half my friends from school moved there and another quarter came from there in the first place.

I think you're taking my 3 shets comment too literally.
I agree with you're "NJ doesn't really care about it, at all" comment. Although, if i were being as literal as you are I would have to respond with "not true", and site examples of Saturday get-togethers, or, say something sarcastic like "there are actually 7 of us".

Even though my comment from the beginning was on the NY TV market which is the entire Metro area (NY, NJ, Conn.), let me ask you this:
Where do you think cfb ranks in NYC with with the 4 pro sports?:
We know NYC is a pro town. NJ and Connecticut more so.
That was my point.

Are there college football fans in the area? Absolutely.
Probably millions of them.

Maybe my original post should have said,
"More shets than I would Like".

As long as the NCAA turns a blind eye to the enhanced recruiting, there’s no reason to think that Alabama won’t win At least five of the next ten NCs, and be in eight of the next ten NC tournaments.
“But you’re just a hater!” says the average Bama fan. I know for a fact Tua and Jeudy were given benefits in exchange for a commitment to Alabama.

I still have cable, but right now I'm playin' around with YouTubeTV to see if I like it. The 3 drawbacks to YTTV is the picture loses focus from time to time, there's like a 20 second delay between YTTV and cable, and you don't get The Weather Channel with YTTV.

As far as live TV/local channels, I'm trying this little antenna called the Magic Stick...works a lot better than I expected, picked up 17 channels with it. And surprisingly the picture is better with antenna TV than cable, satellite, streaming, etc.. Wish antenna TV would offer more options though.
Thank you.... I'll be cutting cable soon enough. Just got Netflix and Prime. I just watch ID, that's it. thanks again.

I did forget to say, when the games left the major networks / over the air, I knew that wouldn't be a good thing. There's still a lot of viewers to be had, but they sold out for higher money and it may bite them in the *** one day.

Advertisement
Back