Bama back to more of power run game next yr

Advertisement
Not that anyone cares on this board but I found it interesting, spoke with a relative of mine on the Bama staff
...Saban privately blamed last nights short yardage failures (being stopped on 3rd/4th & short AND establishing the A and B gaps)
on over usage this last season of this past years Offense. said passing as much as they did this past season out of
spread formations has destroyed the identity of who they are and WEAKEND them and physically and mentally and will not
be repeated

No kidding. I made a lengthy related post on Finheaven, the Dolphins message board, last night. Alabama turned into a cupcake team. There was no question that the way they were playing on offense had directly eaten away at the mindset on defense and the foundational ruggedness of the entire program. I compared it to a grub worm steadily chewing away at the roots. I may even have mentioned it here last night, if I remember correctly.

Alabama is best served with a Wisconsin type power based offense but also the blended spread aspects. McElwain had incorporated much of that years ago for Alabama, and he didn't have anything close to Tua to work with at quarterback. Alabama would still be scary on offense but regain the Hulk qualities on defense if they went back to that offensive approach

Even Nick Saban himself didn't look as intense or bothered last night. He was asking for fixes but not demanding them. It was like the cupcake offense had already began to deteriorate Saban himself, and everything he has always believed in. If you continue with that mindset then steadily you start to rationalize that we don't actually have to be as big and strong...and you won't be. Concessions everywhere.

But I am not surprised that Saban figured it out in less than 24 hours. Probably less than 24 minutes. He's got a big strong team standing alongside him but suddenly they are not playing big and strong, and points are being surrendered like water, as if it doesn't matter. Hey...we've got Tua. He can match points. No big deal. Let's just hold serve on offense.

This is exactly the reason I always have to laugh at the desperation here and on other fan sites to have nothing but a spread offense. Anyone who mocks the I formation basically volunteers as a buffoon who has no clue toward big picture realities in college football.

Bama actually was doing a great job running the ball. (at least in the 1st half)
They went away from it, probably because they tried to keep up with Clemson's scoring.

It wasn't meaningful running. It was weaving spread type running. Massive, massive difference. Clemson wasn't being worn out. They were being tricked. It is the type of thing I've mentioned many times in regard to South Florida high school football. It is now desperation to get into the clear for undirtied prances to the end zone. It looks great until you run into someone as big and as talented as you are, but also with the rugged straight ahead aspects. Alabama forfeited its edge within one season.

Advertisement
They were running the ball very well in the beginning of the game. They were taking chunks out of Clemson's defense.

My personal opinion is that their OC panicked when Clemson got up by a couple scores. They abandoned the downhill running game.

Exactly my take as well. And mind is boggled why they kept going for it instead of taking the easy field goals.

They were running the ball very well in the beginning of the game. They were taking chunks out of Clemson's defense.

My personal opinion is that their OC panicked when Clemson got up by a couple scores. They abandoned the downhill running game.
Coach, I agree. Especially with Dexter Lawrence out and the fact that you have strong backs.

This is exactly the reason I always have to laugh at the desperation here and on other fan sites to have nothing but a spread offense. Anyone who mocks the I formation basically volunteers as a buffoon who has no clue toward big picture realities in college football.
Big Picture Realities like the last 3 national championship teams (and 5 of the last 6) being "spread" oriented, pass-first offenses? Or realities like Ohio State and Oklahoma regularly making the playoff with their wide open styles? I guess that is easy to ignore if you just write off anything not run out of the I as "pansy ball".

Advertisement
No doubt..that was my take last night. Bama movin away from they identity that saban built. Tried to play Clemson’s style. They should’ve ran the ball and played ball control
They had no choice.....playing catch up football is not Saban's style....
Look at him on the sidelines......walking around like a lost pup, with a mesmerized look on his face....just not wanting to lose it in front of the cameras.

Alabama tried to get too cute. They needed to pound the ball, especially when their defense had trouble stopping Clemson. Venables was also confusing Tua, so the needed to take some of the load off him and make Venables commit more to stopping the running game.
If they showed run............Venables would still have shut them down.....their O and D, were gassed from the 1st quarter.

Venables got in Tua’s head on the first series and played with him all night. Bama’s front 7 wasn’t that impressive. 92 was good for a couple of plays at a clip, but then came off the field. Not sure if that was by design or he was gassed. Looks like Mr. Pass rush coach might not be all he’s cracked up to be. I think Venables is the best DC in the game right now and only leaves for an NFL DC job.

Go Canes!

If that’s true, that’s hailarous. Saban snarling like a dragon afterwards “And I’m gonna tell you whatelse we’re gonna do! We’re gonna git them dang cameras outta here with that pansy *** video blog mess and you better get that f@ggety spread eagle offense outta here to because we got F’ucked tonight! I want my junction boys back!!”

Advertisement
All nonsense. The one thing we learned the last two year is that you need a true freshman to win NC game. Tau was already too old for today’s game. Clemson will need a new kid next year. Maybe we can do them a favor and trade for that long haired hippie.

Not that anyone cares on this board but I found it interesting, spoke with a relative of mine on the Bama staff
...Saban privately blamed last nights short yardage failures (being stopped on 3rd/4th & short AND establishing the A and B gaps)
on over usage this last season of this past years Offense. said passing as much as they did this past season out of
spread formations has destroyed the identity of who they are and WEAKEND them and physically and mentally and will not
be repeated

If your relative is really on the Alabama staff, then he must think of Saban what everyone else does:

He must hate his guts … The guy is a POS, 100%.

"I was in the garbage business for years, and the biggest piece of trash I ever collected was Nick Saban"
- Wayne Huizenga (RIP)

Advertisement
Bama on the leading edge of modern college football concepts. We now need a postmodern OC in congruence with postmodern concepts.

They should have kept leaning on the running game.
Would not have made any difference........Tua was rattled, their D was gassed in the first quarter, and their game plan after half time was short circuited (Running a kicker to try for a first down...smh) .......no bueno.

Advertisement
Back