Balom recaps Paradise, plans return visit this weekend

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Miramar (FL) 3-star S Brian Balom had been flying under the radar to most Power 5 schools the majority of the cycle, and although the local Hurricanes had been keeping tabs on him, they hadn’t shown enough interest to throw him an offer. That all changed when Balom was out at Paradise Camp late last month, where he impressed the Miami staff enough in-person to earn a verbal scholarship from safeties coach Ephraim Banda.

“It felt great earning the offer, coach Banda told me about the offer after Paradise Camp,” Balom said. “I felt that I played alright, I know I could’ve done better. I had a few pass break-ups that should’ve been interceptions.”

As for the event itself, Balom felt that he enjoyed his time at Paradise Camp, and also said he was getting some pointers from a current NFL safety.

“It was an amazing experience, being coached by alumni’s and coach Banda,” Balom said. “Rayshawn Jenkins, he helped me during the 1-on-1’s and 7-on-7’s. I was just chopping it up with him, talking about college life, staying focused, and coverage techniques.”

The 6-0 180 pound prospect was also on campus early last month for a Manny Diaz camp event and Balom wants to continue his presence on Miami campus. He’s been invited and will attend UM’s recruiting event this weekend coming out of the dead period.

“I’m looking forward to chilling with coach Banda and watching film,” Balom said.

Describing his game, Balom feels he could bring a lot to the Miami defense as a versatile prospect.

“Banda sees me as a rover/free safety,” Balom said. “I’m a physical safety who isn’t scared to hit and could also be a ballhawk. I am like a QB on defense.”

What are his overall feelings on Miami heading into his next UM visit?

“They are in the mix,” Balom said. “Their academics and their football program are one of a kind. Especially the type of players they breed.”

As for other programs, Balom is planning to make trips to Louisville and West Virginia before he makes a choice this fall.

“I would want to make a decision around September or October,” Balom said. “I’ll be focusing on the quality of the education, the depth of the roster, and if I feel at home or like a family there.”

Balom has focused much of his off-season on his goals for his senior season, which he has well-outlined in his head.

“I want to get 80+ tackles, 10+ interceptions, and at least 4 forced fumbles. And the biggest goal is a state ring.”

At the Opening Miami Regional in February, Balom recorded a 4.63 40-yard dash, a 4.34 shuttle, and a 32.50 vertical leap.

Advertisement
This guy was awesome at Paradise. He got his hands on more footballs than anybody. In the middle of 7on7s, Diaz walked up to Banda and I'm pretty sure he gave him the go-ahead to offer Balom right there.

Seems like we want two of Francois, Tennison and Balom.

I like this kid. If you watch his film he does stuff not many people do. About 90% of the time he tackles he is going for a rip or a punch to cause a fumble and he does this while not missing tackles. I would take his commitment right now

I like this kid. If you watch his film he does stuff not many people do. About 90% of the time he tackles he is going for a rip or a punch to cause a fumble and he does this while not missing tackles. I would take his commitment right now

Good football instincts. Sounds like a furure playmaker.

Advertisement
This guy was awesome at Paradise. He got his hands on more footballs than anybody. In the middle of 7on7s, Diaz walked up to Banda and I'm pretty sure he gave him the go-ahead to offer Balom right there.

With #1 definitely being Francois...Gotta hold not here.

I can live with the strategy you suggested, BUT I'm not sure they are all in on Balom just yet. I still think they are in wait and see mode IF Tennison doesn't come. Not sure it's "Mr. Balom you can commit if you like" just yet.

Advertisement
Only question I have is an off field one. How can WV or UL legitimately talk about being good educations? A GT or a Virginia or a UNC, sure. But Louisville?

Is this kid waiting on a dream school or something? If he wants to be a Cane, and considering that sh*tty offer list, he should pull the trigger as soon as possible.

Take Balom and stop wasting time on Avantae

Then complain about the lack of talent and number three stars? We have to keep recruiting the top guys, specially in-state. Recruit Avantae until the end, and dont stop recruiting Balom; if there is room for Balom take him and re-shift the board as needed. But we cannot give up in the summer.

Advertisement
I know this isn't a popular opinion on this board, since Tennison has drawn comparisons to Lamarcus Joyner, but I rather have this kid than Tennison. I believe he is a more complete S prospect.

Just watched his highlights and was about to say the same thing it looks like he will get his hands on alot of passes natural instinct. I would take all 3

Advertisement
Like the kid, his film is impressive but I want Tennison and I hope we don't give up on him this "early". Definitely keep tabs on this kid though ...
Agreed... keep telling the kid everything he wants to hear but give me Tennison or Williams first.

Balom's 100m in high school track is the same as A. Williams when corrected for wind and he appears much more physical a little taller and heavier at this point.
Avantae's time was when he was in 10th grade, and Balome's was in his junior year.

Advertisement
Back