Bagmen... out of the shadows (NIL approved. Starts in Jan)

mrgreenpants

Junior
this...is a literal game changer.
The programs (ie OSU) that have been teaching "brand building" for 4+ years are the ones that developed these new rules and then pushed this through.
They are already ready..and are already benefiting. Errbody loves a winner.. folks in places like chapel hill and columbus will line up to pay the QB1 to plug their restaurant or whatever...
(are OSU's super classes and UT and UNC's recent success due to their social media/brand building pitches?)

UM absolutely can not be 'reactive' with this and absolutely must use this change as an opportunity.
The canes absolutely can sell the metro miami market and they can sell the dreams of being a college age super social media influencer in miami

With even half an effort.. there is no reason that UM can't leverage these new rules into top recruiting classes

https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/arti...student-athlete-compensation-endorsements-and
Board of Governors moves toward allowing student-athlete compensation for endorsements and promotions

At its meeting this week, the Board of Governors supported rule changes to allow student-athletes to receive compensation for third-party endorsements both related to and separate from athletics. It also supports compensation for other student-athlete opportunities, such as social media, businesses they have started and personal appearances within the guiding principles originally outlined by the board in October.
While student-athletes would be permitted to identify themselves by sport and school, the use of conference and school logos, trademarks or other involvement would not be allowed. The board emphasized that at no point should a university or college pay student-athletes for name, image and likeness activities.
The board directed all three divisions to consider appropriate rules changes based on recommendations from its Federal and State Legislation Working Group.
“Throughout our efforts to enhance support for college athletes, the NCAA has relied upon considerable feedback from and the engagement of our members, including numerous student-athletes, from all three divisions,” said Michael V. Drake, chair of the board and president of Ohio State. “Allowing promotions and third-party endorsements is uncharted territory.”
The board’s recommendations now will move to the rules-making structure in each of the NCAA’s three divisions for further consideration. The divisions are expected to adopt new name, image and likeness rules by January to take effect at the start of the 2021-22 academic year.
The board is requiring guardrails around any future name, image and likeness activities. These would include no name, image and likeness activities that would be considered pay for play; no school or conference involvement; no use of name, image and likeness for recruiting by schools or boosters; and the regulation of agents and advisors.
The board’s action is the latest step by the Association to support college athletes and modernize its rules regarding name, image and likeness. In October, the board identified guiding principles to ensure that any changes support college sports as a part of higher education. Any changes adopted by the divisions must be in concert with the following principles and guidelines:
  • Ensuring student-athletes are treated similarly to nonathlete students unless a compelling reason exists to differentiate.
  • Maintaining the priorities of education and the collegiate experience to provide opportunities for student-athlete success.
  • Ensuring rules are transparent, focused and enforceable, and facilitating fair and balanced competition.
  • Making clear the distinction between collegiate and professional opportunities.
  • Making clear that compensation for athletics performance or participation is impermissible. Reaffirming that student-athletes are students first and not employees of the university.
  • Enhancing principles of diversity, inclusion and gender equity.
  • Protecting the recruiting environment and prohibiting inducements to select, remain at or transfer to a specific institution.
  • The board relied on a comprehensive report from the Federal and State Legislation Working Group to inform its recommendations.
“The NCAA’s work to modernize name, image and likeness continues, and we plan to make these important changes on the original timeline, no later than January 2021,” said Gene Smith, Ohio State senior vice president and athletics director and working group co-chair. “The board’s decision today provides further guidance to each division as they create and adopt appropriate rules changes.”
In its report, the working group recognized that the rules needed to accomplish the modifications may differ by division and stressed the need for appropriate regulation in the future.
“As we evolve, the Association will continue to identify the guardrails to further support student-athletes within the context of college sports and higher education,” said Val Ackerman, commissioner of the Big East and working group co-chair. “In addition, we are mindful of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on higher education, college sports and students at large. We hope that modernized name, image and likeness rules will further assist college athletes during these unprecedented times and beyond.”

The board also discussed the potential challenges to modernizing rules posed by outside legal and legislative factors that could significantly undermine the NCAA’s ability to take meaningful action. As a result, it will engage Congress to take steps that include the following:
  • Ensuring federal preemption over state name, image and likeness laws.
  • Establishing a “safe harbor” for the Association to provide protection against lawsuits filed for name, image and likeness rules.
  • Safeguarding the nonemployment status of student-athletes.
  • Maintaining the distinction between college athletes and professional athletes.
  • Upholding the NCAA’s values, including diversity, inclusion and gender equity.
The recommendations for federal engagement were provided by the Presidential Subcommittee on Congressional Action, which was formed as part of the Federal and State Legislation Working Group to provide input on the potential assistance the NCAA should seek from Congress.
“The evolving legal and legislative landscape around these issues not only could undermine college sports as a part of higher education but also significantly limit the NCAA’s ability to meet the needs of college athletes moving forward,” Drake said. “We must continue to engage with Congress in order to secure the appropriate legal and legislative framework to modernize our rules around name, image and likeness. We will do so in a way that underscores the Association’s mission to oversee and protect college athletics and college athletes on a national scale.”

Advertisement
If Miami cannot benefit from this and we let schools like Clemson and/or UNC, or some damned school in the midwest, out do us...I would say that is a complete failure for the whole damned city!!

I mean, TNM should literally develop an entire marketing strategy to benefit from this and build into recruiting YESTERDAY

Advertisement
imo, miami absolutely must target and be able to differentiate from.....Clemson.

in the ACC you can make an argument the UNC is part of the research triangle...which has a pop of almost 2 million.

but clemson... 15,000 people live there.
(personal opinion...Clemson should be the biggest loser with this )

i'm withholding opinions on on field coaching... but the goal should be for miami to replace clemson as the ACC recruiting juggernaut.
All of the florida programs are behind the curve on brandbuilding
the opportunity is right there for the taking.

frankly, the staff can not sit back and wait. (which is my worry)
They need to up there game about 5 levels on social media... and get to selling that dream. Yes, they can get develped. Make it to the NFL...and earn a bag or 2 in college too

imo, miami absolutely must target and be able to differentiate from.....Clemson.

in the ACC you can make an argument the UNC is part of the research triangle...which has a pop of almost 2 million.

i'm withholding opinions on on field coaching... but the goal should be for miami to replace clemson as the ACC recruiting juggernaut.

They need to up there game about 5 levels on social media... and get to selling that dream. Yes, they can get develped. Make it to the NFL...and earn a bag or 2 in college too

Clemson isn't a regional team. It's a statewide thing. You're not playing for a city of 15,000, you're playing for more than half the state of South Carolina.

SEC players will end up earning more in endorsements. Miami consumers don't give a fug about UM players endorsing Ford trucks, etc. Bama fans will buy anything Bama players endorse.

Then Miami needs to find out and research what South fla consumers care about the most

Advertisement
Very few give a sh*t about UNC football in NC. Chapel Hill has a reputation as a far left sanctuary in the state, Raleigh folks can't stand the town and Raleigh is fairly liberal. Even UNC basketball fans could care less about football for the most part. Mack is recruiting well and has a nice groundswell going, but nobodies gonna buy much of anything endorsed by a football player. (Not meant to be a political post)

The canes absolutely can sell the metro miami market and they can sell the dreams of being a college age super social media influencer in miami

With even half an effort.. there is no reason that UM can't leverage these new rules into top recruiting

This will be the only way we beat the small town schools for recruits with this new rule. For the kids looking to push their brand (cant believe I'm even acknowledging this), Miami is way more attractive than Tuscaloosa. We will have to start winning tho!

Not meaning to highjack the thread, but isnt it amazing how quickly this was passed after the first bigtime basketball recruit decides to spurn the NCAA for the G-League?? For years, we heard about how Complex this issue is and these MFers got it done during a quarantine!

Last edited:

I don’t think things will change. You have cam newton for example getting over 80k back then. I can only imagine what Uga and bama pay now. Don’t think for one second that those bags are gonna disappear cause some kid is getting 5k to appear in a local tv spot for jethro’s whole pig bbq or Dale’s tractor depot.
The bagmen are still gonna pay these kids and now they’re gonna get even more money legitimately.
No business down here in Miami is gonna pay some local kid 100k for anything.
The good part is now we can at least have something else besides our location to keep these kids. If we we’re at least being considered maybe winning and some legit cash can make it more enticing. If there is a local 5 star kid down here that is looking for bags as the sole reason to pick a school then good luck being in the winning end of that battle.

Very few give a sh*t about UNC football in NC. Chapel Hill has a reputation as a far left sanctuary in the state, Raleigh folks can't stand the town and Raleigh is fairly liberal. Even UNC basketball fans could care less about football for the most part. Mack is recruiting well and has a nice groundswell going, but nobodies gonna buy much of anything endorsed by a football player. (Not meant to be a political post)

Although this post is spot on in almost every way, you’d be surprised at what Mack has done to the fans up here. They’re all nostalgic and getting into football again. I know a bad season of basketball helped raise the football teams relevancy but don't underestimate what is going on.

I’ve been the loudest on this site about Carolina never being relevant in football and the lack of support that team gets, but they are recognizable. A 3-9 Carolina football team is more recognizable and has more star power in this state than anyone on a 12-1 NC State team. I don’t understand why, but it’s true. This would be a huge help for that garbage dump in Chapel Hill.

Advertisement
I don’t think things will change. You have cam newton for example getting over 80k back then. I can only imagine what Uga and bama pay now. Don’t think for one second that those bags are gonna disappear cause some kid is getting 5k to appear in a local tv spot for jethro’s whole pig bbq or Dale’s tractor depot.
The bagmen are still gonna pay these kids and now they’re gonna get even more money legitimately.
No business down here in Miami is gonna pay some local kid 100k for anything.
The good part is now we can at least have something else besides our location to keep these kids. If we we’re at least being considered maybe winning and some legit cash can make it more enticing. If there is a local 5 star kid down here that is looking for bags as the sole reason to pick a school then good luck being in the winning end of that battle.

i imagine some car rentals places definitely and a couple of other places lol. The 100k you put into the kid will be nothing compared to the roi lol

i imagine some car rentals places definitely and a couple of other places lol. The 100k you put into the kid will be nothing compared to the roi lol
ROI is assuming the kid pans out. The good part is sofla has a good record of putting guys in the league. But yes the social media exposure down here is endless. If a kid has an IG account and starts plugging his luxury condo and his new ride and his favorite restaurants, then it’s definitely way more of a plus down here. Why tf would anyone watch some dude’s channel as he goes up and down main street of Tuskkkoosa. Nobody anywhere would give a fck. But if a star sofla qb is showing you his crib and his ride in brickel as he drives it down to have brunch at greenstreet cafe I’m sure he’ll have way more views.

ROI is assuming the kid pans out. The good part is sofla has a good record of putting guys in the league. But yes the social media exposure down here is endless. If a kid has an IG account and starts plugging his luxury condo and his new ride and his favorite restaurants, then it’s definitely way more of a plus down here. Why tf would anyone watch some dude’s channel as he goes up and down main street of Tuskkkoosa. Nobody anywhere would give a fck. But if a star sofla qb is showing you his crib and his ride in brickel as he drives it down to have brunch at greenstreet cafe I’m sure he’ll have way more views.
Baby Tua showing you his mtv crib lol but yes the roi depends on the kid but we talking about the elite of the elite lol

Advertisement
this...is a literal game changer.
The programs (ie OSU) that have been teaching "brand building" for 4+ years are the ones that developed these new rules and then pushed this through.
They are already ready..and are already benefiting. Errbody loves a winner.. folks in places like chapel hill and columbus will line up to pay the QB1 to plug their restaurant or whatever...
(are OSU's super classes and UT and UNC's recent success due to their social media/brand building pitches?)

UM absolutely can not be 'reactive' with this and absolutely must use this change as an opportunity.

With even half an effort.. there is no reason that UM can't leverage these new rules into top recruiting classes

tenor.gif

If Miami cannot benefit from this and we let schools like Clemson and/or UNC, or some damned school in the midwest, out do us...I would say that is a complete failure for the whole damned city!!

I mean, TNM should literally develop an entire marketing strategy to benefit from this and build into recruiting YESTERDAY

Be prepared...UM walks on eggshells, schools like Clemson use bullhorns and could care less.

Advertisement
Back