Bagmen - Bama

Mcanes305

Recruit
This is a question out of curiosity from someone outside the loop to those in the know......

[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION]a, [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION], [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION], [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION], @imjamesjacksonbrother...or anyone else who may have a clue

I frequently see mentions and hints of Bagmen and boosters dropping bags. At this point we all know its part of the game. BUT when a school, like say an Alabama, does it so blatantly and frequently do other coaches just take it on the chin and chalk it up to "its all part of the game"?

I mean this is maybe the 4th year straight when Miami has held a commit from a kid for over a year and Saban comes in, "drops a bag" and the kid tweets about making the best decision for his family. Fans get irritated and blast the kid on twitter or scream about it on here but what do the coaches do? Do they report these schools to the conference? or NCAA? (laughable but it is the "governing body). or drop hints to a reporter to expose them? Do they stack bags for the next cycle and try to get payback?Im sure they arent happy and its hard for me to picture them just taking it.

Advertisement
This is a question out of curiosity from someone outside the loop to those in the know......

[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION]a, [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION], [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION], [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION], @imjamesjacksonbrother...or anyone else who may have a clue

I frequently see mentions and hints of Bagmen and boosters dropping bags. At this point we all know its part of the game. BUT when a school, like say an Alabama, does it so blatantly and frequently do other coaches just take it on the chin and chalk it up to "its all part of the game"?

I mean this is maybe the 4th year straight when Miami has held a commit from a kid for over a year and Saban comes in, "drops a bag" and the kid tweets about making the best decision for his family. Fans get irritated and blast the kid on twitter or scream about it on here but what do the coaches do? Do they report these schools to the conference? or NCAA? (laughable but it is the "governing body). or drop hints to a reporter to expose them? Do they stack bags for the next cycle and try to get payback?Im sure they arent happy and its hard for me to picture them just taking it.

There's and old saying, money dont leave no trail!!!

Let's not worry about the Bama bagmen today, let's celebrate our signing class. These kids deserve to be celebrated.

Advertisement

EVERY school is doing it to some extent.Most just can't compete with the Bama's and UGA's of the CFB world....The bags those schools are "dropping " to high level recruits are 6 figure bags.

They had 3 guys from Auburn go on HBO a couple years ago and tell the world exactly how and how much they got ,Everyone in the world knows about Cam Newton and yet not one peep from the ncaa.

The NCAA doesn't want to start an investigation .Ask Bruce Pearl about squealing on a school...

This is the most widely misunderstood phenomenon in college football. Coaches know full well what they're up against with schools who drop bags. It's baked into their recruiting. Not all kids want a handout. And not all kids who go to Bama, LSU, etc. get a handout. But kids who don't typically don't resent just the kids who do. Especially for kids with kids of their own already (yea there are some) or sick grandmas, etc.

What always cracks me up are the head in the sand type who want to pretend there aren't bags being dropped and it's just an excuse because the SEC schools are "elite recruiters." Yea, they are, but they also have a little extra for the ones that need more convincing. And once in a while, especially among SEC schools, kids and coaches DO rat on one another. But it's fairly rare, because all their hands are dirty. As to whether it will stop? No. there's a vested financial interest in schools like Bama staying elite, and that requires elite players. And the tentacles intertwined with the good ole boy network on the NCAA boards ensure it's just not going to change.

And yes there are still tons of bagmen and "handler" types in South FL. That's why it's CRUCIAL to develop personal relationships with kids and their families to overcome that. Something that Randy and AG never really embraced or understood. They just complained that it wasn't fair. and it's not, but it's the reality. And at the end of the day we will lose some kids to upfront cash. We don't get in that mix anymore. We can't. We used to (Yea.. we did... see: Erickson era), although never on the level of the big Texas or SEC schools.

Advertisement
It's not what you know. It's what you can prove.

Ehh.. that doesn't really matter either. There was tons of proof of an outright 6-figure bidding war for Cam Newton and the NCAA basically shrugged. It's all arbitrary. Whereas if we get busted for steaks and lap dances, they'll set the program back years. It is what it is.

And even though they're not mentioned among the SEC schools, FSU still drops bags like the big boys. Have for years.

From my (somewhat limited) knowledge, it differs from school to school. Dumb school (Ole Miss) actually pay players and leave a trail of evidence. The smart schools, specifically Alabama, utilize the businesses of boosters to provide benefits to players that are either not caught or loopholes in the rules.

One of the best known examples is the use of cars in Alabama recruiting - Booster owned dealership "sells" players brand new Dodge Charger, fully upgraded, at zero down and zero% interest. They pay the minimum monthly payment (usually well below their monthly stipend) and the loan is forgiven when they graduate and/or leave the university. So a Charger that costs $35K will end up costing the player $2-4K before the loan is forgiven and they've pocketed a $30K asset.

Last edited:
snitches get....

The fact that some of the kids and their families get money doesn't bother me one bit. They deserve more of the pie they create on that field. It's a bull**** system.

The problem, we don't have enough money to play in that game, and it sucks for us as a fan base. Also, the bull**** street agents that get rich off the backs of these kids and their families and risk the kids eligibility is bull****.

The kids and their families getting some money, more power to them, don't fault them a bit.

Advertisement

With the DOJ involved in BB it might set it's sights on football, as far as bag men are concerned I know impeccable sources, writers, coaches who say it definitely exists and Bama is in the middle of it. Other coaches are doing it to so they stay silent. With the major cheaters where this is concerned they hide it very well, VERY well. Ole Miss got caught because a Miss.St. guy turned them in, a recruit was also involved and angry family members. Ole Miss just didn't learn how to play the game. JMO

There's and old saying, money dont leave no trail!!!

money leaves a trail cash does not

From my (somewhat limited) knowledge, it differs from school to school. Dumb school (Ole Miss) actually pay players and leave a trail of evidence. The smart schools, specifically Alabama, utilize the businesses of boosters to provide benefits to players that are either not caught or loopholes in the rules.

One of the best known examples is the use of cars in Alabama recruiting - Booster owned dealership "sells" players brand new Dodge Charger, fully upgraded, at zero down and zero% interest. They pay the minimum monthly payment (usually well below their monthly stipend) and the loan is forgiven when they graduate and/or leave the university. So a Charger that costs $35K will end up costing the player $2-4K before the loan is forgiven and they've pocketed a $30K asset.

This. But doesn’t Saban actually own those dealerships?

Advertisement
The only thing I’m curious about is this, if Bama can drop 100k on a player, how much can Miami drop. Half that? 30%?

ALL of the SEC schools pay. I have mentioned this ad naseaum......

The head of a fund I worked at in Atlanta helped raise $200,000 for Sony Michel and then incessantly complained that they "overpaid" during "Dawg summer ball"................

Until the IRS and FBI team up and do what they just did to Adidas, the process will continue. Except for Vanderbilt, all SEC schools have foundations. These foundations make the payments.

Money is raised by exceedingly wealthy men, - Paul Bryant Jr. who sold a bank holding system in the '90s for $100MM -, and it is 'post' tax money going to abjectly poor families. At some point, the government will want their cut and the system will crumble.

It is also VERY hard to prove since the wealthy elite already paid taxes on the funds, and they are handed to different handlers every year. When the Waltons, the owners of Tyson and the founders of JB Hunt run a foundation (i.e. Arkansas), then you can rest assured that it is legally defendable. My wife's godfather is a strong contributor to the Razorback foundation. He boasted about Collins for years.................

The shame is that the FBI chose to prosecute basketball rather football. Rest assured that the Boards of these foundations are devoting millions to protecting themselves after the basketball imbroglio.

Jobe is PROOF that it continues unabated!

LSU has 1.5 million dollar fund set aside to use to lure recruits if necessary......Not saying they use this EVERY year but some years it's not enough.The one year it wasn't was the year Fournette,Malichi Dupree and Speedy Noil came out...it's why Noil ended up at A&M...

I'm sure other SEC schools along with schools like Texas,Clemson OSU etc also have Like amounts set aside.Schools like Bama and UGA there's no telling what they pay out.

NCAA doesn't want to know..or admit to knowing.They will take down a school like Ole Miss or a MIami as a scape goat school an say "see we are policing it"...yea right.

Apparently the only rule is, just dont have your Bagman be a douchie ponzi schemer and fleece retirees out of their pensions.

Advertisement
Back