Bad news on Hooks

JUCO's come into programs and make an immediate impact all the time. That is their draw, they usually have two years of lifting and overall physical maturity on true freshmen. Just because we've had a few duds from the JUCO ranks has nothing to do with right now.

And how can you sit here and list all these guys that are locked into their positions? We finished in the 100s in defense. You're acting like we had a top 10 unit with a bunch of kids who are firmly cemented in their roles after proving they can ball. We finished in the **** 100s. Hooks would help immediately. Anyone would. We have a huge talent deficiency on defense. Any talent that can immediately contribute would get on the field.

Name me one JUCO DT who came in and made an all conference team. Not an All American team an all conference team.
I'm sure somebody will come in and name 5, maybe 6 but that's how rare it is.
Any JUCO wouldn't be competing against true freshmen. They would be competing against sophomores, juniors and seniors.
Talent isn't the problem with our defense. It's talent running the wrong way.
The way you guys talk about Hooks, the guy better be Cortez Kennedy to live up to the expectations.
We bash Darius Smith now, but when he signed he was our run stuffer for the next few years.
I think Hooks is a good player, but you guys are acting like without him our defensive line will be crap.
Can our D-line get any worse than last year? Probably not. Was it a lack of talent? NO, it was a lack of developed talent.
As I've said, give these guys time to develop and they are going to prove you all wrong.

You guys act as if last year's defense was a surprise. They were exactly what I thought they would be: a young defense that showed flashes of greatness overshadowed by periods of inexperience. When you look out on a defense and seemingly everytime you see 5-6 freshmen or first time players, you know you are going to be in for a rough time.
I see a bunch of real young players who flash and need to be more disciplined. Who need to make the other team beat us instead of running everywhere but where you are supposed to go and beat yourself.
As for immediate help, like new players who are going to start next year, start getting yourself used to the fact that that is not going to happen.
Not because we won't sign some great players. We will. But because you cannot expect freshmen or JUCO DT's to come into a high level D1 program and dominate when they have NEVER been exposed to the type of speed, size and strength they will encounter.
For JUCO's the leap is just as big as for Freshmen.

Jenkins, Jesse Williams, Cody, Fairley, Carradine, Sylvester Williams, Bruce Irvin, JPP are all defensive linemen off the top of my head who came in and made an immediate impact at the college level.

Advertisement
JUCO's come into programs and make an immediate impact all the time. That is their draw, they usually have two years of lifting and overall physical maturity on true freshmen. Just because we've had a few duds from the JUCO ranks has nothing to do with right now.

And how can you sit here and list all these guys that are locked into their positions? We finished in the 100s in defense. You're acting like we had a top 10 unit with a bunch of kids who are firmly cemented in their roles after proving they can ball. We finished in the **** 100s. Hooks would help immediately. Anyone would. We have a huge talent deficiency on defense. Any talent that can immediately contribute would get on the field.

Saban & Terrence Cody, for example

Can you imagine if we had that John Jenkins kid from Jawja? We were on him but he wasn't getting in here.

Advertisement
I still want to know why he really cancelled the Miami visit. Even if it was because he wanted to visit Auburn he would still be able to visit them next week. We cant even get a **** elite DT to take a free trip to South Beach? Let alone even get one to sign.

Name me one JUCO DT who came in and made an all conference team. Not an All American team an all conference team.
Any JUCO wouldn't be competing against true freshmen. They would be competing against sophomores, juniors and seniors.
The way you guys talk about Hooks, the guy better be Cortez Kennedy to live up to the expectations.
We bash Darius Smith now, but when he signed he was our run stuffer for the next few years.
I think Hooks is a good player, but you guys are acting like without him our defensive line will be crap.
Can our D-line get any worse than last year? Probably not. Was it a lack of talent? NO, it was a lack of developed talent.
As I've said, give these guys time to develop and they are going to prove you all wrong.

You guys act as if last year's defense was a surprise. They were exactly what I thought they would be: a young defense that showed flashes of greatness overshadowed by periods of inexperience. When you look out on a defense and seemingly everytime you see 5-6 freshmen or first time players, you know you are going to be in for a rough time.
I see a bunch of real young players who flash and need to be more disciplined. Who need to make the other team beat us instead of running everywhere but where you are supposed to go and beat yourself.
As for immediate help, like new players who are going to start next year, start getting yourself used to the fact that that is not going to happen.
Not because we won't sign some great players. We will. But because you cannot expect freshmen or JUCO DT's to come into a high level D1 program and dominate when they have NEVER been exposed to the type of speed, size and strength they will encounter.

Jenkins, Jesse Williams, Cody, Fairley, Carradine, Sylvester Williams, Bruce Irvin, JPP are all defensive linemen off the top of my head who came in and made an immediate impact at the college level.

Pretty sure most of those guys you mentioned were not JUCO guys, but you made my point. It is the rare DT who comes in and immediately makes an impact. In each recruiting season maybe 1 or 2 at the absolute most are stars. Generally it is not even 1.
Immediate impact doesn't mean plays a bit and makes a few plays. I'm talking dominant like you all think Hooks will be.
Just doesn't happen because the leap to the next level is just that great.
The odds have to be 10-1 that a DT currently on our roster becomes a difference maker than an incoming freshman or JUCO.

Pretty sure most of those guys you mentioned were not JUCO guys, but you made my point. It is the rare DT who comes in and immediately makes an impact. In each recruiting season maybe 1 or 2 at the absolute most are stars. Generally it is not even 1.
Immediate impact doesn't mean plays a bit and makes a few plays. I'm talking dominant like you all think Hooks will be.
The odds have to be 10-1 that a DT currently on our roster becomes a difference maker than an incoming freshman or JUCO.

Those are all JUCOs. But just being from JUCO does not make you instant impact, it just makes you older. And for the record, I love Hooks and want/wanted him badly...but as raw as he is he was no sure thing.

Advertisement
With Porter rumored to be heading to the NFL, I would be confident in saying Hooks would be our best DT the second he stepped foot on campus.

Can you imagine if we had that John Jenkins kid from Jawja? We were on him but he wasn't getting in here.

Wasn't Cody interested in us before he signed with Alabama? I recall that he was someone Randy wasn't that interested in.

Wasn't Cody interested in us before he signed with Alabama? I recall that he was someone Randy wasn't that interested in.
Mt Cody wanted to be a Cane, but there was no interest from us......

WTF, those were all Jucos. No good asking someone to list the kids who come in from a very limited pool and dominate, and when he does just displaying complete ignorance.

Advertisement
Here´s some more:

Star Lotulelei (ring a bell?)
Sheldon Richardson
Stephen Paea
Akiem Hicks
Pernell McPhee

I´m sure there´s more.

Here´s some more:

Sheldon Richardson
Stephen Paea
Akiem Hicks
Pernell McPhee

I´m sure there´s more.

I guess we all have a different opinion on what "dominate" means.
Here's hoping Hooks is the next Warren Sapp, cause if he isn't you guys are going to roast his nuts.

You threw out the word "dominate," correct? You are the one who made that the measuring stick.

All we are asking for is a solid contributor at the biggest position of need on this team. Hooks can be that guy, easily.

Advertisement
Here´s some more:

Sheldon Richardson
Stephen Paea
Akiem Hicks
Pernell McPhee

I´m sure there´s more.

Here's hoping Hooks is the next Warren Sapp, cause if he isn't you guys are going to roast his nuts.

Maybe not all of them dominated but they were all very very good. Cody and Fairely were also the cornerstones of thier respective defenses that won it all.

There is an area somewhere between horrible and dominant, and anywhere inside of that spectrum would be an improvement over what we saw at DT last year.

Here´s some more:

Sheldon Richardson
Stephen Paea
Akiem Hicks
Pernell McPhee

I´m sure there´s more.

You must also have differing opinions as to what "JUCO" means.

A lot of those dudes on the list did dominate, by the way, on the college level. Many of them at a very, very high level.

Your ignorance is showing.

Advertisement
Back