Baby Jesus comin

I've never gotten the "Golden favors seniors, and plays them over clearly better underclassmen" narrative. Take a look at the roster, a large portion of those guys have either been starters, or have seen ample playing time as underclassmen.

That narrative was fabricated by guys who wanted to see Freshmen play without even knowing whether or not the Freshmen had shown anything in their preparation/practice that made them worthy of burn.

Advertisement
We did see Williams in a pressure situation 2 years ago, when Morris went down late in a close conference game, and Williams folded

Not sure he folded....kinda got thrown under some pressure and did move us in a position to win the game...took a bad sack and threw the ball poorly at the last play...

His play was poor he did not fold....Crow at USF last year that was folding

Crow is not Miami caliber. I don't recall him having any other offers and we all knew he would never take a meaningful snap here. I will wait to pass judgement on Williams but he has looked average at best. I know we all want someone to get the TE and backs involved but it seems he checks down **** near every play. Which we saw in that play against UNC. You can't be checking down when the game is on the line. We need someone that is going to make plays. Not make one read and check down.

Last edited:
My guy tells me that RW is CLEARLY the #1 right now. Says RW is throwing at almost 80% comp. in practice.

Says that Olsen is still learning.

That can't be the case. Clearly Fat Al Golden is sucking up to the Senior QB. Because the ******* mopes said so! That's his "MO"...

We did see Williams in a pressure situation 2 years ago, when Morris went down late in a close conference game, and Williams folded

Not sure he folded....kinda got thrown under some pressure and did move us in a position to win the game...took a bad sack and threw the ball poorly at the last play...

His play was poor he did not fold....Crow at USF last year that was folding

Crow is not Miami caliber. I don't recall him having any other offers and we all knew he would never take a meaningful snap here. I will wait to pass judgement on Williams but he has looked average at best. I know we all want someone to get the TE and backs involved but it seems he checks down **** near every play. Which we saw in that play against UNC. You can't be checking down when the game is on the line. We need someone that is going to make plays. Not make one read and check down.

This is my issue as well... Teams will give you the 2-3 yard plays for 3 downs then a punt... That's not smart, that's playing scary and hindering any progress...

[video=youtube;Sqe8bm2TMKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqe8bm2TMKY[/video]
Start just before the 21 min mark.

The first pass you see Williams throw is NOT a checkdown. Coley was open on a short pass, and due to it being the correct read, Coley got a 30 yard gain.

If that's what Williams/Olsen/Garrison Lassiter/Gray Crow/Kaaya/Rosier or whoever is our QB can do...sign me up.

Advertisement
As much as this excites me, Williams will lock up the job whether he actually deserves it or not.

Agree with this. Golden will not entrust his offense with Olsen, imo.

If you are going to entrust the offense to Olsen later, why not do it sooner?
If RW is clearly the better qb, then he gets the job, but if they are equal or if RW is the better game manager yet Olsen is the better gunslinger, I say you make the future the present.

I'd rather start Olsen now and have him go through some growing pains, then start Olsen next year without any meaningful experience.

Give Olsen 2-3 years as the starter, have Kaaya go for 2 years after Olsen.

Sort of like Kosar for 2, Then Vinny, then Walsh, Then Erickson.

If RW and Olsen are equal in the fall you go with Olsen.
He's our future.
Williams isn't.

I didn't get the memo that Olsen was consistently outperforming Williams in practice.

Why is this discussion even going on?

Advertisement
I didn't get the memo that Olsen was consistently outperforming Williams in practice.

Why is this discussion even going on?

the propaganda coming out of green tree is saying otherwise that the gap is getting closer than many expected..

which is fine with me if Olsen does end up beating out RW that's better for the team because lets all be honest this next coming season isnt gonna be a natty title run

I've never gotten the "Golden favors seniors, and plays them over clearly better underclassmen" narrative. Take a look at the roster, a large portion of those guys have either been starters, or have seen ample playing time as underclassmen.

That narrative was fabricated by guys who wanted to see Freshmen play without even knowing whether or not the Freshmen had shown anything in their preparation/practice that made them worthy of burn.

No, that narrative comes from the fact that Golden chose to constantly start and give meaningful minutes to players like Gaines, Highsmith and Shayon when there were highly recruited, highly rated freshman that showed flashes of briliance when they got on the field. You seriously think Carter couldn't have performed at AT LEAST the level of Highsmith? Or that Quan and Tyriq couldn't do the job Shayon did? Gaines was ok, but when you have guys like Kirby on the bench, why not give him burn? The defense was ATROCIOUS the past two years. Why not at least go down swinging with the youngsters?

MattyPorts
Al Golden likes how Kevin Olsen's come along ("It was never a question of his talent") but says Ryan Williams is #Canes' QB-1. For now.
1:46pm - 18 Mar 14

Olsen could be Peyton Manning and he still wouldn't start

Loyalty to seniors. They hung around the cloud

Advertisement
MattyPorts
Al Golden likes how Kevin Olsen's come along ("It was never a question of his talent") but says Ryan Williams is #Canes' QB-1. For now.
1:46pm - 18 Mar 14
That's not changing. Unless Olsen transforms into Manziel or Winston he's not getting the job. Thats just how golden rolls.

Is there any chance that between Olsen and Williams, Williams gives us the best chance to win next year.

YES!!!!

Advertisement

No, that narrative comes from the fact that Golden chose to constantly start and give meaningful minutes to players like Gaines, Highsmith and Shayon when there were highly recruited, highly rated freshman that showed flashes of briliance when they got on the field. You seriously think Carter couldn't have performed at AT LEAST the level of Highsmith? Or that Quan and Tyriq couldn't do the job Shayon did? Gaines was ok, but when you have guys like Kirby on the bench, why not give him burn? The defense was ATROCIOUS the past two years. Why not at least go down swinging with the youngsters?

You just made my point...you have no proof of what they were capable of, but decided that they should've gotten minutes because you know more than the guys who see them in practice everyday.

You just made my point...you have no proof of what they were capable of, but decided that they should've gotten minutes because you know more than the guys who see them in practice everyday.

I watched Quan and McCord on some run plays and they were just trying to survive not being pancaked.
At strictly speed rushing those 2 were better than Shayon, but on 1st and 2nd down Shayon was much better.

Kirby was like Buchanon, running fast in the wrong direction.

Who knows about Carter. You can't just run around, free wheeling it at safety. We saw Ray Ray and Vaughn Telemaque do that for a couple years and it wasn't pretty.
You need to know the defense 100% to be an adequate safety, if not you just do the Telemaque: running fast to the wrong place.

As much as this excites me, Williams will lock up the job whether he actually deserves it or not.

145.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back