Baby Jesus comin

Advertisement
My concern is that Olsen has to be clearly better to earn the job. . If they're on the same level then I think williams gets the nod. Which is not how I would do it

That's awesome that Olsen is showing progress. If he knows and can lead the offense, get guys lined up quickly and correctly, not get false starts etc better than RW11 then he should start. We know he has more physical tools than RW11. I don't think that has ever been questioned.

Unfortunately, those of us that have suffered through the last decade here at Miami know paying the QB position requires more than just throwing a few pretty passes with zip on them on Greentree in the spring.

If he's ready to run the offense from top to bottom I say start him. Either way our opening day starter will be the best one we have fielded in at least 7 years.

Advertisement
Nobody expected this to be a legit open competition.

Loyalty to seniors, hard worker getting the nod - we know Golden's M.O.

yeah but F.A.G. is probably feeling some desperation at this point. he can see the sharks circling. putting a newbie RS FR QB out there gives him more excuses to buy time (even though it shouldnt)

MattyPorts
Al Golden likes how Kevin Olsen's come along ("It was never a question of his talent") but says Ryan Williams is #Canes' QB-1. For now.
1:46pm - 18 Mar 14

MattyPorts
Al Golden likes how Kevin Olsen's come along ("It was never a question of his talent") but says Ryan Williams is #Canes' QB-1. For now.
That's not changing. Unless Olsen transforms into Manziel or Winston he's not getting the job. Thats just how golden rolls.

MattyPorts
That's not changing. Unless Olsen transforms into Manziel or Winston he's not getting the job. Thats just how golden rolls.

:fistbump:Beat me to it. I'm betting we will hear plenty more of these type comments

Advertisement
My guy tells me that RW is CLEARLY the #1 right now. Says RW is throwing at almost 80% comp. in practice.

Says that Olsen is still learning.

MattyPorts

Even though i think if it's "close" the job should go to the younger guy, i can't blame golden for giving Williams the nod.. now if Olsen is clearly better and he still gives williams the start, then that would be disconcerting.

My concern is that Olsen has to be clearly better to earn the job. . If they're on the same level then I think williams gets the nod. Which is not how I would do it

I personally would rather throw the kid into the fire & see how he responds.. but I understand both sides.

Advertisement
MattyPorts

Is there any chance that between Olsen and Williams, Williams gives us the best chance to win next year.

My guy tells me that RW is CLEARLY the #1 right now. Says RW is throwing at almost 80% comp. in practice.

Says that Olsen is still learning.

every qb this D goes against throws for nearly 80% ... which makes me wonder... how much better is this offense going to be!

I agree. Kevin will have to be significantly better than Williams. If t's a toss up or Kevin by only a little, RW will get the nod.

Advertisement
Somebody send a video to golden of the last 2 heism an ceremonies if indeed he would give preference based on tenure

I have to admit Im a bit mystified by some of the opinions in here. If the competition is close, then RW should absolutely get the nod. For one thing, he is unquestionably more experienced, and from all accounts knows the entire offense up and down. That is something we have NOT had in a QB here in years. He may not have the talent or potential of Olsen, but he probably gives us the best chance to win. I understand the thinking of "let the younger guy get the reps", but why give up on the whole season already? Butch didnt start Kenny Kelly over Covington. There is a LOT to be said for what a mature, experienced, SENIOR QB who knows the offense well can do for your team.

We went with talent over brains this past season, and we saw how that worked out. To me, if its close in terms of their performance, than you go with the guy who can run the offense the best, and has the most experience. Your QB HAS to be the leader of your offense. Morris was NOT a leader, and the team suffered for it. I feel like RW would be a leader of that offense, and from all accounts, he knows the playbook up and down. Ill take the smart, efficient QB who doesnt make mistakes, ANYDAY over the gun slinger. Guys like Vinny, Walsh, Dorsey, vs guys like Costa, Kenny Kelly, KW or Morris.

I have to admit Im a bit mystified by some of the opinions in here. If the competition is close, then RW should absolutely get the nod. For one thing, he is unquestionably more experienced, and from all accounts knows the entire offense up and down. That is something we have NOT had in a QB here in years. He may not have the talent or potential of Olsen, but he probably gives us the best chance to win. I understand the thinking of "let the younger guy get the reps", but why give up on the whole season already? Butch didnt start Kenny Kelly over Covington. There is a LOT to be said for what a mature, experienced, SENIOR QB who knows the offense well can do for your team.
We went with talent over brains this past season, and we saw how that worked out. To me, if its close in terms of their performance, than you go with the guy who can run the offense the best, and has the most experience. Your QB HAS to be the leader of your offense. Morris was NOT a leader, and the team suffered for it. I feel like RW would be a leader of that offense, and from all accounts, he knows the playbook up and down. Ill take the smart, efficient QB who doesnt make mistakes, ANYDAY over the gun slinger. Guys like Vinny, Walsh, Dorsey, vs guys like Costa, Kenny Kelly, KW or Morris.

Coker and Winston comp was close... You gotta put the BS aside, stop over analyzing and go with whoever gives u the best chance to win and whomever reacts better in real game situations

Coker and Winston comp was close... You gotta put the BS aside, stop over analyzing and go with whoever gives u the best chance to win and whomever reacts better in real game situations

no it wasn't and everyone outside of the HC who was trying to keep his only real backup qb from hauling *** before the season said it wasn't close.

Advertisement
Back