B1G vs. SEC for Miami: Realignment Reality Check - Poll

Choose the conference:


  • Total voters
    139
Your data OP proves what I’ve said several times that the B1G would be a logistical nightmare and got some 😂 responses.

No matter which conference we wind up in, we won’t be welcomed with open arms. Especially now in football that Mario has us back on an upward trajectory. Both the B1G and SEC have schools that have had affiliations for decades and probably won’t be too accommodating for a newcomer.
 
Last edited:
Funny to think some of you think Miami would play FSU & UiF every year if went to SEC
First, FSU would have to be invited. Even if that happens, it only guarantees a potential game against FSU, it doesn't guarantee UF would be one of the teams we would play annually. UF already plays FSU yearly, along with UGA.
 
Living in Iowa, I selfishly want the BIG so I can catch multiple games. With that said, ultimately I want the university to do whatever is best for the sports programs. We all watched what happened when they became an afterthought.
 
So far, 48 votes for the B1G, and the only posters to respond so far basically say:

“More money” - That will change in the future. SEC will easily command more TV $$$

“Easier schedule” - two loss SEC team is easily in the playoff. 2 loss B1G team stays home unless your name is OSU or ND. Also, that’s not the U dammit - anytime, anywhere.

“Hate SEC” - then whip them each and every week.

I still don’t understand how fans of this university actually WANT to never play FSU or UF again, instead swapping them for Iowa and Minnesota.

I’m reminded of this quote:


H.L. Mencken
Vanderbilt was a 2 loss team last year and didn’t make it. No B1G school has gone 10-2 and not made it as of now.
 
I would rather play in the Big Ten simply because I'm closer, but it would also open up recruiting more.

Right now, we already recruit Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana. Adding the Big Ten would give us another recruiting footprint while also putting us in a position to play teams like Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Washington and Penn State more frequently. Also if ND were to join a conference I would suspect them to join the B10 because they do have a lot of history with those teams I would rather beat on them frequently.

The SEC is just boring to me
 
I could go either way (major pause) I'll say the SEC just so we can smack down the Gaytor more often.
 
For the University of Miami ... not just the football program ... the B10 offers more opportunities for meaningful research partnerships that from a financial perspective can dwarf the excellent B10 media payouts to members. That makes the B10 a "win / win" for UM in my opinion over the SEC. The SEC would be great simply from a football perspective (and other sports) for travel and interesting matchups ... but you have to look at the bigger picture. This is a big boy move by a university that has grown in prestige and in potential for greater expansion.
 
Vanderbilt was a 2 loss team last year and didn’t make it. No B1G school has gone 10-2 and not made it as of now.

Only Ohio State has gone 10-2 in the B1G.

Are you really comparing Ohio State and Vanderbilt?

Georgia and Tennessee (2024), Alabama, Ole Miss and Texas (2025) all went 10-2 and made it into the playoffs from the SEC.
 
Joining B1G would put us at a competitive disadvantage with heavier travel constraints compared to the traditional B1G schools. I also don't think people realize how much of a disadvantage it would be for us to play a B1G game on the road in November when it's absolutely frigid. We need to stay regional and compete on the field against the programs we recruit against (SEC). It's what's best for the long-term health of players and the program.
 
If you think the officiating bias is bad against us in the ACC, wait till we get to the SEC.

The other option is December in Wisconsin or Iowa.

I’m good staying where we are for now and raking in 100% of our playoff money every year.
 
Last edited:
I prefer the BIG for political reasons. As a black man, I got a problem with places like Alabama and Mississippi. And no i am not interested in getting into the weeds on it.
The highest proportion of Black residents relative to their overall state populations are in the South

Go Canes!
 
Would us going the big really take fsu and florida off the schedule forever? That could easily be worked out id think
 
Back
Top