Avery Huff key...

Advertisement
He wasn’t ready physically or mentally. Flagg was ready physically. He has a very long frame so weight gain is hard. If he gets to 215-220 this off season that’ll be huge.

Didn't Flagg come in overweight and off an injury?

Advertisement
Flagg came in overweight due to an injury. He scares me outside of the tackles. This season will show us a lot though.

Advertisement
He wasn’t ready physically or mentally. Flagg was ready physically. He has a very long frame so weight gain is hard. If he gets to 215-220 this off season that’ll be huge.
I hope so. I really thought that Huff and Brooks playing LB was gonna be something special.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's hard to function as an undersized run-around LB. You have to be extremely sharp and consistent reading plays to beat linemen to spots. Sean Spence was as instinctive and quick as they come diagnosing plays. Lavonte David is the twitchiest I've ever seen IDing wide zone and toss plays and knifing through gaps. Patrick Queen didn't start until midway through his Junior year and he's as explosive as it gets.

Huff gets such a hard time for being behind on the mental side because if he's late he's taken out of the play. Jennings, McCloud and Brooks made plenty of mental errors last year so there's a reason Huff gets singled out.

He needs to improve his functional strength and take-on skills or be the most mentally sharp LB on the roster. Can't afford to be deficient in both areas. Otherwise I'll have to agree with @colperm that he's nothing more than a fluid athlete without a position. And that would be an L for me cause I was high on him as a prospect.

I have low expectations still from what I've seen in spring clips but he could get it by 2022.

Huff mentioned in his presser he has a difficult time keeping weight on. Wish I had that problem!

Advertisement
Back