Avantae Williams - charges dropped and dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Transactional - zoning and development. I went to work on the business side as I’m the son of a developer but go on
Never wanted to litigate especially criminal or family law. It was always about the education and legal side experience for real estate development. I came out of Law school and was doing south beach condo conversion work along with zoning, commercial evictions…
Nice work… have you done work with Tripp Scott.. I take it back.. real estate development nice.. The best stands out. Congrats. Are you going to the bama game

I was okay with suspending him pending the outcome of his case. Instead they rushed to judgment. Accusations like that make people pretty skittish in 2021, I get it. But everyone is entitled to due process. He's probably a rough kid, he needs a lot of mentoring and guidance. But at this point, I think he's better off learning how to be a man and member of society as part of a team and university than not.

I would bring him back. Maybe this was a wake up call he needed.
Dude from the other side of the scales. When you not allowed or limited in making the laws, interpreting, Adjudicating and Enforcing the laws, history has clearly displayed the outcome. Avante just another victim of the Man.

Advertisement
Nice work… have you done work with Tripp Scott.. I take it back.. real estate development nice.. The best stands out. Congrats. Are you going to the bama game
No. I just moved to Northern Cali and am juggling a bunch of things right now. Living in the DC and mid Atlantic area before, I hit UNC and UVA games. I’m thinking I’ll hit our bowl game this year or hit a game back home.

Lot of people have no idea how criminal prosecutions, much less domestic violence prosecutions, work and it shows. As a former ASA in that office’s domestic violence unit, I’ll give you my take.

1) With some exceptions, these cases turn on the testimony of the victim. If she says one thing to the police and then recants during her statement to prosecutors, the case is usually dropped. It happens all the time (like 9/10 domestic cases that come in).

2) He was not proven innocent nor was he proven/found not guilty. He did not even plead not guilty because charges hadn’t been filed yet (charges are filed by prosecutors and then they enter a plea). Of course, as with any person arrested, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence in the eyes of the law, but there was no trial and no jury rendered a verdict. The State looked at the evidence and determined they could not prove the case. The end. The record will not read Not Guilty but rather No Action (by the State).

3) Do people make false accusations in these situations? Absolutely. But it’s not the norm, and it’s usually not the case where the victim recants immediately (in my experience).

4) The swiftness with which UM acted tells me they were fairly confident something occurred that warranted dismissal.

Last edited:
Can't the state prosecute anyway? Would dismissing the case be an admission that wasn't enough evidence to proceed with prosecution without the original accuser's testimony?

I’m not a lawyer, but dismissing the case means they don’t think they have enough evidence to end up with a conviction. So I think you’re right. If the young woman would not testify and there’s no video, it’s going to be hard to get a conviction. That doesn’t say he’s guilty or not guilty it just says that the district attorney won’t prosecute.

But again I’m not a lawyer maybe someone can educate me here. Lots of people are known to be guilty but yet can’t be prosecuted. Again I’m not saying that’s what happened in this case I’m just saying that an unwillingness to prosecute doesn’t indicate lack of guilt, it just indicates lack of having a successful case.

Advertisement
Sooooo you all want Manny to take the kid back because his BM isn't going to testify?

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know allthe facts but, some of the facts are pretty disturbing.

It is astounding that people will point to how flawed the legal system is but use it as the be all end all when the result works the way they want. People think that the guys inside the program don’t know what happened? And in program with 90 plus players including walkons have we seen anyone pop off with a #freeavantae or something similar?
Cancel culture has people afraid to speak against certain issues in America: Sodomites, The Jab, women abuse etc... If you support anyone accused of these things you will be destroyed.

Advertisement
That’s not how any of this works.

I posted my response before I saw yours. Your response sums it up quite nicely I’m guessing you’re a criminal attorney or district attorney, or somehow involved in criminal/domestic cases.

Wish I would’ve seen it before it would’ve saved me a couple of paragraphs.

As far as Avante coming back, I just don’t see it. I don’t know what happened I don’t know what people that are familiar with the case know so I have no idea other than he was dismissed pretty quickly and there must’ve been some alarming things that came to light but I’m just guessing.

I do think there may be an outside chance, but it has to follow a certain pathway and including repenting and contrition and going through separate steps and so forth, and I just don’t know that the young man would ever want to do that.

I think it’s important for him to take this as a lesson learned and turn his life around wherever he ends up.

Advertisement
I posted my response before I saw yours. Your response sums it up quite nicely I’m guessing you’re a criminal attorney or district attorney, or somehow involved in criminal/domestic cases.

Wish I would’ve seen it before it would’ve saved me a couple of paragraphs.

As far as Avante coming back, I just don’t see it. I don’t know what happened I don’t know what people that are familiar with the case know so I have no idea other than he was dismissed pretty quickly and there must’ve been some alarming things that came to light but I’m just guessing.

I do think there may be an outside chance, but it has to follow a certain pathway and including repenting and contrition and going through separate steps and so forth, and I just don’t know that the young man would ever want to do that.

I think it’s important for him to take this as a lesson learned and turn his life around wherever he ends up.
Yeah, sorry. I used to be an ASA (Assistant State Attorney), which is what Florida calls their prosecutors. I worked in their DV unit for a time.

Lot of people have no idea how criminal prosecutions, much less domestic violence prosecutions, work and it shows. As a former ASA in that office’s domestic violence unit, I’ll give you my take.

1) With some exceptions, these cases turn on the testimony of the victim. If she says one thing to the police and then recants during her statement to prosecutors, the case is usually dropped. It happens all the time (like 9/10 domestic cases that come in).

2) He was not proven innocent nor was he proven/found not guilty. He did not even plead not guilty because charges hadn’t been filed yet (charges are filed by prosecutors and then they enter a plea). Of course, as with any person arrested, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence in the eyes of the law, but there was no trial and no jury rendered a verdict. The State looked at the evidence and determined they could not prove the case. The end. The record will not read Not Guilty but rather No Action (by the State).

3) Do people make false accusations in these situations? Absolutely. But it’s not the norm, and it’s usually not the case where the victim recants immediately (in my experience).

4) The swiftness with which UM acted tells me they were fairly confident something occurred that warranted dismissal.

I disagree with number 4. The climate in America when certain allegations are bought against people may have played a role in him being dismissed.

Manny having that politicians mindset strikes me as the type that would distance the program from a player that was accused of that without MUCH proof. If the woman says it Manny would go with it. For perceptions sake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back