Austin-Cave academically set to enroll in spring, gives take on UM's season, FSU game

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Miami LB commit Tirek Austin-Cave already busted out on the scene when he recorded 161 tackles as a junior for Camden High in New Jersey, but he’s long said that he’s looking to take his game to new heights in his final season of high school ball. With 92 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 INT’s, and 10 PBU’s through 7 games for the 6-1 Tigers, Austin-Cave has done just that.

“Everything’s going well. This week, I have a big matchup against a good team (Willingboro),” Austin-Cave said. “Just looking forward to being prepared for that and putting up some numbers on Friday night.

“I’ve been doing whatever I need to for my team. Also, showing Miami I can play weakside ‘backer or whatever position they need me to play. Honestly, it’s been a great season for me and I can’t wait to finish it off with a championship.”

Austin-Cave committed to Miami back on July 4th weekend, and since then has gained interest from other schools, including landing an offer from Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M. However, the star linebacker says he’s never wavered on his pledge to Miami.

“I’m 100% with Miami all the way,” he said.

Getting a first-hand look at the team and stadium on gameday for Miami’s Friday night showcase game against Virginia a few weeks ago made Austin-Cave even more confident in his decision and gave him some optimism for the future of Miami football under head coach Manny Diaz.

“Honestly, it was a great feeling just being there, seeing how they prepare for the games,” Austin-Cave said. “Seeing them win against a great team in Virginia, that just told me this is how Miami’s going to be in the future, week in and week out, winning big games. I just want to be a part of that.

“We’re currently 4-4, I feel like coach Diaz and his coaching staff will find a way to get back to their winning ways. I just can’t wait to be a part of the whole thing.”

The 6-1 205 pound prospect says he’s watched every Miami game this year, and gave his thoughts on how the defense has performed in 2019 thus far.

“The defense, hands down, I feel like they’ve been playing great,” Austin-Cave said. “The coaches I feel like are putting the players in the right position to make great plays, that’s all you can ask for as a player.

“I’ve been following the team this season, I watch all their games. I find a way to watch their games on my phone if I have to, I always find a way to watch Miami. I’m supposed to be there in January, so I really have to get a feel of the team and the coaches.”

Austin-Cave added that he is already all set academically to be at Miami in January for spring practice. With a need for linebackers on the Hurricanes’ roster, Austin-Cave is coming in with an eye on playing early.

“My expectations coming in for spring ball is to come in with the mindset that nothing is given. I’m going to go in with the mindset of every day getting 1% better,” Austin-Cave said. “I know the coaches are going to put me in the right position to be great. Miami has a great history of linebackers and I just want to live up to that standard of being great. We’ve got some great guys - Mike Pinckney, he’s going to leave next year. I look up to him, see what he does for the program. I want to be like that one day. I can’t wait.”

Being out of state and living in New Jersey, it’s sometimes hard for Austin-Cave to build a relationship with the other commits in the 2020 class. Even so, he says he does keep in touch with a few other out of state defenders in Category20.

“Guys like Corey Flagg, Romello Height, I’m cool with those guys,” Austin-Cave said. “I can’t wait to get there with those guys and ball out and grind.”

The Hurricanes will be taking on their arch-rivals in the Florida State Seminoles this weekend and Austin-Cave is confident heading into the game.

“I’m pumped, I can’t wait to watch that game. I’m going to be tuned in watching up here,” Austin-Cave said. “It’s going to be a great game, I feel like we’re going to come out victorious. I feel like we’re going to beat up on the Noles.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not worried about linebacker next year. We got some intriguing players there with brooks and huff(who will really impress next year and filling out GREAT right now) , mccloud obviously, Austin cave and some of the other linebackers we will be fine. I hope we can add another elite athlete to the mix in rebuen hyppolite too

Advertisement
2020 Miami LB commit Tirek Austin-Cave already busted out on the scene when he recorded 161 tackles as a junior for Camden High in New Jersey, but he’s long said that he’s looking to take his game to new heights in his final season of high school ball. With 92 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 INT’s, and 10 PBU’s through 7 games for the 6-1 Tigers, Austin-Cave has done just that.

“Everything’s going well. This week, I have a big matchup against a good team (Willingboro),” Austin-Cave said. “Just looking forward to being prepared for that and putting up some numbers on Friday night.

“I’ve been doing whatever I need to for my team. Also, showing Miami I can play weakside ‘backer or whatever position they need me to play. Honestly, it’s been a great season for me and I can’t wait to finish it off with a championship.”

Austin-Cave committed to Miami back on July 4th weekend, and since then has gained interest from other schools, including landing an offer from Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M. However, the star linebacker says he’s never wavered on his pledge to Miami.

“I’m 100% with Miami all the way,” he said.

Getting a first-hand look at the team and stadium on gameday for Miami’s Friday night showcase game against Virginia a few weeks ago made Austin-Cave even more confident in his decision and gave him some optimism for the future of Miami football under head coach Manny Diaz.

“Honestly, it was a great feeling just being there, seeing how they prepare for the games,” Austin-Cave said. “Seeing them win against a great team in Virginia, that just told me this is how Miami’s going to be in the future, week in and week out, winning big games. I just want to be a part of that.

“We’re currently 4-4, I feel like coach Diaz and his coaching staff will find a way to get back to their winning ways. I just can’t wait to be a part of the whole thing.”

The 6-1 205 pound prospect says he’s watched every Miami game this year, and gave his thoughts on how the defense has performed in 2019 thus far.

“The defense, hands down, I feel like they’ve been playing great,” Austin-Cave said. “The coaches I feel like are putting the players in the right position to make great plays, that’s all you can ask for as a player.

“I’ve been following the team this season, I watch all their games. I find a way to watch their games on my phone if I have to, I always find a way to watch Miami. I’m supposed to be there in January, so I really have to get a feel of the team and the coaches.”

Austin-Cave added that he is already all set academically to be at Miami in January for spring practice. With a need for linebackers on the Hurricanes’ roster, Austin-Cave is coming in with an eye on playing early.

“My expectations coming in for spring ball is to come in with the mindset that nothing is given. I’m going to go in with the mindset of every day getting 1% better,” Austin-Cave said. “I know the coaches are going to put me in the right position to be great. Miami has a great history of linebackers and I just want to live up to that standard of being great. We’ve got some great guys - Mike Pinckney, he’s going to leave next year. I look up to him, see what he does for the program. I want to be like that one day. I can’t wait.”

Being out of state and living in New Jersey, it’s sometimes hard for Austin-Cave to build a relationship with the other commits in the 2020 class. Even so, he says he does keep in touch with a few other out of state defenders in Category20.

“Guys like Corey Flagg, Romello Height, I’m cool with those guys,” Austin-Cave said. “I can’t wait to get there with those guys and ball out and grind.”

The Hurricanes will be taking on their arch-rivals in the Florida State Seminoles this weekend and Austin-Cave is confident heading into the game.

“I’m pumped, I can’t wait to watch that game. I’m going to be tuned in watching up here,” Austin-Cave said. “It’s going to be a great game, I feel like we’re going to come out victorious. I feel like we’re going to beat up on the Noles.”

This is the one kid I could see at any of the 3 LB positions, yes including striker. I think Flagg is a mike...Mathis mike or will. I think this kid could be any of the 3.

Advertisement
You're confusing him with Corey Flagg, Tirek Austin-Cave is the furthest thing from slow.

He's a track athlete, ran a 6.53 in 55m & is a 4.6 40 kid. Watch his tape, he's not what you think he is.

I was only making a joke since he said he will be our next Pickney. I actually am friends with his cousin/uncle, I posted some stuff about him a while back when he first committed.

I was only making a joke since he said he will be our next Pickney. I actually am friends with his cousin/uncle, I posted some stuff about him a while back when he first committed.
Lol oh okay I get you...

But I think he just meant he's going to have a Pinckney like Freshman season which isn't bad at all. Pinckney had a very good TF season, the following years are debatable, but his Frosh season wasn't bad.

Advertisement
Lol oh okay I get you...

But I think he just meant he's going to have a Pinckney like Freshman season which isn't bad at all. Pinckney had a very good TF season, the following years are debatable, but his Frosh season wasn't bad.

Nah I def agree. I was one of the guys that bought into the hype freshman year. I was just making a joke.

I don't know much about the kids football life, but the kids family is thorough in Camden and Camden is known to get busy. If the kid is anything like the rest of his family he is going to be a tough dude that will be beating the whiners down in the locker room.

Advertisement
Back