2025 ATH Trey McNutt - Cleveland, OH

Advertisement
Ok hold up.

I find it hard to believe little man is making definitive statements and final decisions on five star recruits without Mario Cristobal’s input. He is quite literally the most recruiting-obsessed individual I’ve ever seen.

I’m not questioning anyone’s validity, nor am I asking for inside information on how the vetting process works…but vaguely walk me through how this would even happen. And if this is somehow the chain of command, then what the heck lol.

Also before someone gets mad at me, 1mur and GoCanes have legit info and have proven themselves repeatedly…I’m just having trouble comprehending this.

Advertisement
Ok hold up.

I find it hard to believe little man is making definitive statements and final decisions on five star recruits without Mario Cristobal’s input. He is quite literally the most recruiting-obsessed individual I’ve ever seen.

I’m not questioning anyone’s validity, nor am I asking for inside information on how the vetting process works…but vaguely walk me through how this would even happen. And if this is somehow the chain of command, then what the heck lol.

Also before someone gets mad at me, 1mur and GoCanes have legit info and have proven themselves repeatedly…I’m just having trouble comprehending this.

I'm having trouble comprehending it as well. So is the head coach of one of the top programs in the country which this also impacted. I'd rather the topic just go away as I'm not a fan of throwing shade at our program and I've probably already said too much publicly. Just on here venting for no good reason at this point. On the other hand it was an exceptional day with a lot of other high priority recruits. This shouldn't take away from that

I'm not sure DMoney wants this negativity on the board so I'll save the majority of details but cliff notes "he's not a take at this point" and we "aren't going to spend any more energy on him" We "love his ranking" but "don't love his film"
Smh

Advertisement
Listen to this man. This was not on Mario.
He’s his boss so yes it is.

And furthermore if it is true that Mr Twitter star had more impact on evals than Alonzo, that’s also on Mario.

You get paid $8 mil your staff decisions are yours

On the flip side and no disrespect because you are a great poster and have good info but aren’t you also his advisor (or however it would be described so to speak)? If I’m wrong great but if there is a personal connection people should be aware

Last edited:
Some ppl get mad at me when I get on him. Maybe he has some good with recruiting… But sometimes Dennis smith is just the worst. Yikes this sucks. Sorry to hear @1murhurricane but thanks for your help anyway

So I gotta ask.

We have a head football coach. We have a coordinator of the defense. We have a defensive backs coach. When prospective defensive back recruits are recruited, the aggression in which those prospects are pursued are dictated by the *checks notes* executive director for football?

@1murhurricane mentioned were the only program he deals with who operates a certain way. Is this what you’re talking about? Someone gotta fill in some blanks for me cause this makes no sense to how **** traditionally works. The most recruiting obsessed man on the planet, working his dream job at his Alma mater, is hanging out in the corner while Dennis Smith (not himself, not the DC, not the DB coach) makes decisions on who to pursue and who not to pursue?

Again, not saying people aren’t closer to this than I am. You 100% are. But something makes literally no sense here.

Ok hold up.

Yeah all I know is what I’m reading/hearing like most everyone else

The thing that gets me is that following the info leading up this was an important visit because the kid was bringing his mom. Like most I figured this is where we close the deal. If people within our program let the kid do that and then blew them off, that’s not just horrifically bad in this situation, but it’s a horrible look for other recruits that this kid talks to. That’s the type of recruiting incompetence we dealt with under Manny where it wasn’t just the decision, but how we went about things.

I hope there’s some kind of explanation for it.

Advertisement
Yeah all I know is what I’m reading/hearing like most everyone else

The thing that gets me is that following the info leading up this was an important visit because the kid was bringing his mom. Like most I figured this is where we close the deal. If people within our program let the kid do that and then blew them off, that’s not just horrifically bad in this situation, but it’s a horrible look for other recruits that this kid talks to. That’s the type of recruiting incompetence we dealt with under Manny where it wasn’t just the decision, but how we went about things.

I hope there’s some kind of explanation for it.
Plays for a LOADED 7v7 team, face of the 7v7 vs Ohio battle so they could be cleared to play both HS and 7v7, and one of the top safeties in the nation.

One of those situations where feels like someone will either look incredibly smart or like a world-class azzhat.

Also 2 other recruits we've seemed to cool on, that McNutt plays with:
-WR Koby Howard
-DB Jontae Gilbert

Plays for a LOADED 7v7 team, face of the 7v7 vs Ohio battle so they could be cleared to play both HS and 7v7, and one of the top safeties in the nation.

One of those situations where feels like someone will either look incredibly smart or like a world-class azzhat.

Also 2 other recruits we've seemed to cool on, that McNutt plays with:
-WR Koby Howard
-DB Jontae Gilbert
I’m ok with the passing on the kid part (in general)

Not this kid in particular but the approach of ok this is what coaches are supposed to do

But the part I’m not able to wrap my head around is how we went about it. I’m hoping there’s just something glaring im missing. If you don’t want a kid in your class then don’t let him and his mom come down from Ohio for a visit then. But I am only relying on 2nd hand info so I can’t say too much

Advertisement
So I gotta ask.

We have a head football coach. We have a coordinator of the defense. We have a defensive backs coach. When prospective defensive back recruits are recruited, the aggression in which those prospects are pursued are dictated by the *checks notes* executive director for football?

@1murhurricane mentioned were the only program he deals with who operates a certain way. Is this what you’re talking about? Someone gotta fill in some blanks for me cause this makes no sense to how **** traditionally works. The most recruiting obsessed man on the planet, working his dream job at his Alma mater, is hanging out in the corner while Dennis Smith (not himself, not the DC, not the DB coach) makes decisions on who to pursue and who not to pursue?

Again, not saying people aren’t closer to this than I am. You 100% are. But something makes literally no sense here.
I wasn't gonna chime in on this because generally I don't care, but I will this time.

What @1murhurricane is saying is true.

Dennis Smith (as crazy as it sounds) is Mario's Lieutenant General. He's been with him since the FIU days in various roles from Quality control, to TE's Coach, to recruiting coordinator. Currently, right now he’s the Executive Director of Football. (Strap into your seat belt) He's basically what Highsmith was supposed to be. Most (if not all) recruiting & eval decisions both HS & Portal are coordinated with him.

That's not to say he makes the decisions himself, but he's an integral part of the recruiting apparatus. Now the question is why? Well, Mario trusts him. He's Coached on all 3 phases of the game throughout his career (Offense, Defense & ST's) & knows exactly what Mario is looking for & how he likes his recruiting machine to be ran, because he helped him build it (metaphorically speaking).

Again, that's not to say that he's making decisions & Mario is just sitting back not saying anything, all decisions on the recruiting side end with Mario, full stop. But, he does trust Dennis & Mirabal's Football acumen.

As it pertains to this situation, that's a discussion for others to have, but @1mur is legit. He's not lying.

Why does this stuff seem to happen with every staff we have had in recent years?

Always some drama.
lol you all think recruiting drama is localized here ?
bart simpson agenda GIF

Advertisement
Back