2025 ATH Trey McNutt - Cleveland, OH

I wasn't gonna chime in on this because generally I don't care, but I will this time.

What @1murhurricane is saying is true.

Dennis Smith (as crazy as it sounds) is Mario's Lieutenant General. He's been with him since the FIU days in various roles from Quality control, to TE's Coach, to recruiting coordinator. Currently, right now he’s the Executive Director of Football. (Strap into your seat belt) He's basically what Highsmith was supposed to be. Most (if not all) recruiting & eval decisions both HS & Portal are coordinated with him.

That's not to say he makes the decisions himself, but he's an integral part of the recruiting apparatus. Now the question is why? Well, Mario trusts him. He's Coached on all 3 phases of the game throughout his career (Offense, Defense & ST's) & knows exactly what Mario is looking for & how he likes his recruiting machine to be ran, because he helped him build it (metaphorically speaking).

Again, that's not to say that he's making decisions & Mario is just sitting back not saying anything, all decisions on the recruiting side end with Mario, full stop. But, he does trust Dennis & Mirabal's Football acumen.

As it pertains to this situation, that's a discussion for others to have, but @1mur is legit. He's not lying.

Appreciate the reply, as always. And I know you didn’t say that I said this, but I just want to reiterate that I didn’t say he was lying or fabricating or stretching the truth about any of this.

But I think what you said is essentially what I was thinking was happening. Again, I could be wrong here and would love to be corrected if I am, but this thread has turned into a bashing of Dennis Smith. I think all I’m wondering is, why? There is a 0.0% chance that Mario and Guidry are siting in an office and evaluating film and saying “Holy ****, this kid is a baller, we gotta have him” and then Dennis Smith stands on the chair to get to 5’7 and says “you don’t know what the **** you’re talking about, we don’t want this kid” and they just say “Ok, you’re right.” This HAS TO be a staff decision. Has to be. So if it is, then all the staff should be being scolded here, not just Smiff. Right? And to be fair, maybe they’re right? Doesn’t make sense to me or seems like anyone else here, but idk, sometimes these things work out. What if this time last year we heard the staff was out on Cormani McClain? We’d have rioted. And so far, looks like the kid is a flake.

IDK, you spelled it out perfectly. And it makes perfect sense, Mario trusts him. I understood that part. What I didn’t understand is Smith making final recruiting calls, and I don’t think that’s what’s happening here. Someone else correct me if I’m wrong.

Advertisement
If anyone believes DS is making those decisions without Mario's input are crazy.

If that was true, we won't ever be back. It's a rather serious situation.

I'll just toss it up to being an armchair QB and watch this kid's progression over the years like someone said earlier. I'm sure, hope, their board will change over the next few months.

Ok hold up.

I find it hard to believe little man is making definitive statements and final decisions on five star recruits without Mario Cristobal’s input. He is quite literally the most recruiting-obsessed individual I’ve ever seen.

I’m not questioning anyone’s validity, nor am I asking for inside information on how the vetting process works…but vaguely walk me through how this would even happen. And if this is somehow the chain of command, then what the heck lol.

Also before someone gets mad at me, 1mur and GoCanes have legit info and have proven themselves repeatedly…I’m just having trouble comprehending this.
Also, how did it even get to the point of an unofficial visit. I’m not saying this is what happened, but it sure would seem a lot more likely that something happened when he was down. It’s even more bewildering since our DC is a safeties coach.

All of y
I wasn't gonna chime in on this because generally I don't care, but I will this time.

Dennis Smith (as crazy as it sounds) is Mario's Lieutenant General. He's been with him since the FIU days in various roles from Quality control, to TE's Coach, to recruiting coordinator. Currently, right now he’s the Executive Director of Football. (Strap into your seat belt) He's basically what Highsmith was supposed to be. Most (if not all) recruiting & eval decisions both HS & Portal are coordinated with him.

That's not to say he makes the decisions himself, but he's an integral part of the recruiting apparatus. Now the question is why? Well, Mario trusts him. He's Coached on all 3 phases of the game throughout his career (Offense, Defense & ST's) & knows exactly what Mario is looking for & how he likes his recruiting machine to be ran, because he helped him build it (metaphorically speaking).

Again, that's not to say that he's making decisions & Mario is just sitting back not saying anything, all decisions on the recruiting side end with Mario, full stop. But, he does trust Dennis & Mirabal's Football acumen.

As it pertains to this situation, that's a discussion for others to have, but @1mur is legit. He's not lying.

All of this. I think the most important piece here is that we have a guy like @1murhurricane (and others) bringing elite talent on campus.

Advertisement

I know you had quoted me and I speak out on smith a bit. But @OrangeBowlMagic ^ that response. He pretty much nailed it. Dennis has some power and it’s part of the reason AH isn’t here anymore.

That’s not to say he’s doing this completely without cristobal and the position coaches but he’s got real power. And there are times he rubs ppl the wrong way. He’s done it with some high schools, some coaches and it seems like with @1mur

Overall recruiting is really good prob better than it’s ever been so I won’t complain much. Just frustrating hearing about some of this stuff knowing we could be doing even better.

wait, who's the little henchman ?
mini GIF

Advertisement
So Dennis Smith is a gatekeeper from even Mario when it comes to high ranking recruits?

I'm honestly glad we're making legit evals and turning away *some* high ranking kids (because the ranking services aren't the end all be all).

But Dennis Smith should not have as much influence as he has.

This to me seems more of a scenario of Dennis being sent to do Mario's dirty work rather than making Mario the bad guy.

And honestly, that's the way it should be. I'd rather we believe that Dennis is shutting this down than Mario. But I know Mario is 100% too much of a control freak to allow Dennis Smith to get in the way of a top 3 recruiting class unless he agrees with the evaluation.

Fitzgerald is the real deal and is being recruited by big hitters. This is not the hill to die on.

But with that being said we are only taking 1 safety so far that ive seen us interested in. Fitzgerald and no one else so the staff should take him and push for Trey.

Amari wallace is a nickle btw

They seem to be interested in Carson Lawrence (I know the board won't like that)

And imo they could possibly think there's traction with Golden or Stubbs? (I agree I wouldn't pass on Mcnutt either…I don't think he's the top safety in the nation, and top 30 may really be pushing it, but overall excellent athlete and a clear 4* type kid)

Also as hopefuls we all are that Pickett can play corner at 6'3-6'4…and they are probably going along with that if he really wants to start his career there. The safest projection for him is still safety.

Advertisement
My thoughts, as well. The entire story isn’t being told here. Something isn’t adding up.
I agree, and we probably will never know the entire story. What we do know is we've had two top 5 classes and this year's class is shaping up to be really, really good too. The system, so far, is working. This move is curious at best and may turn out to be very wrong, but I don't see a reason to doubt Mario and co. just yet. JMO

Advertisement
I agree, and we probably will never know the entire story. What we do know is we've had two top 5 classes and this year's class is shaping up to be really, really good too. The system, so far, is working. This move is curious at best and may turn out to be very wrong, but I don't see a reason to doubt Mario and co. just yet. JMO
Miami is going to have another top 5 class. If we win 10, probably in top 3. Mario knows how to handle kids, family and handlers. He ain’t perfect but believe there is a lot to this story not being said.

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply, as always. And I know you didn’t say that I said this, but I just want to reiterate that I didn’t say he was lying or fabricating or stretching the truth about any of this.

But I think what you said is essentially what I was thinking was happening. Again, I could be wrong here and would love to be corrected if I am, but this thread has turned into a bashing of Dennis Smith. I think all I’m wondering is, why? There is a 0.0% chance that Mario and Guidry are siting in an office and evaluating film and saying “Holy ****, this kid is a baller, we gotta have him” and then Dennis Smith stands on the chair to get to 5’7 and says “you don’t know what the **** you’re talking about, we don’t want this kid” and they just say “Ok, you’re right.” This HAS TO be a staff decision. Has to be. So if it is, then all the staff should be being scolded here, not just Smiff. Right? And to be fair, maybe they’re right? Doesn’t make sense to me or seems like anyone else here, but idk, sometimes these things work out. What if this time last year we heard the staff was out on Cormani McClain? We’d have rioted. And so far, looks like the kid is a flake.

IDK, you spelled it out perfectly. And it makes perfect sense, Mario trusts him. I understood that part. What I didn’t understand is Smith making final recruiting calls, and I don’t think that’s what’s happening here. Someone else correct me if I’m wrong.

The answer to your first question is to absolve Mario. People will blame the coordinators (he hires), the toxic staff (he brought in), the turnover prone QB (he started), the replay officials (when he should have called a kneel down), and anyone else they can blame before Mario.

The answer to your first question is to absolve Mario. People will blame the coordinators (he hires), the toxic staff (he brought in), the turnover prone QB (he started), the replay officials (when he should have called a kneel down), and anyone else they can blame before Mario.

I don’t think that’s it. The people who are driving this discussion are not Mario lovers or slurpers or whatever people wanna classify them as. And I don’t think the criticism is JUST on Smiff, it seems like the dialogue has been that they disagree with what the staff did here.

But it seems centrally focused on smith. I can’t wrap my head around it, and again, I’m not gonna try. The staff has recruited at a truly elite level since they got here, so they’re not setting enough bridges on fire to impact the bottom line.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, imo this one will be super interesting to follow for a few years. If the staff truly invited this kid down just to have Dennis Smith say they don’t like his film, and he turns out to be a stud wherever he lands, it’s pretty ugly. If he flames out, this thread will be fun to laugh at everyone’s panties in a wad.

Advertisement
Back