ATH RYAN MAYES

Mayes has impressive size at around 6'0-6'1. He's got really long arms and has a wiry frame. One thing I like about Mayes is how physical he is with his size, he's really aggressive with every receiver and never backs down. He did get his fair share of penalties for this aggressiveness, but it's impressive how well he did transitioning from a safety to a corner for MNW.

One thing you can say for the guys we recruit at DB....they are ******* physical.

Crawford, Howard, Gunter, Bethel, Jenkins, Bush etc. This staff obviously likes guys tat aren't afraid to get dirty in the secondary.

Advertisement
He will be a candidate to move on if we are successful with the remaining prospects.

This. Him and Dennis Turner. No more JAGs, No more lowly rated "projects".

lol. I love when our fans are suddenly making recruiting decisions and evaluations over the coaches.

If it was up to us fanboy Internet gurus, Miami would have never offered Russell Maryland, Mike Sullivan, Gino Torretta, Clinton Portis, and on and on and on. If it was as easy as recruiting stats it would be a simple job. But it's not. So have a little faith in a staff that inherited ****, have been recruiting under a cloud of probation for 3 years, and currently has one of the best classes in the country committed by anyone's standards.

But thanks for letting us know in advance who the jags are gonna be. Glad you want to roll with Willie Williams, Bryan Fortay, and Alan Hall.

Mayes seems like a boom or bust type prospect. He could be one of those kids that we don't sign, he blows up in college, and we wonder wtf happened...............or he could sign with us in February and never be heard from again..

Mayes seems like a boom or bust type prospect. He could be one of those kids that we don't sign, he blows up in college, and we wonder wtf happened...............or he could sign with us in February and never be heard from again..

He's honestly the guy in this class that needs to be coached up the most because he has physically what you need but playing cb isn't natural for him and I still don't see him as the hard hitting safety that I want. Now if you coach him up he can fit either mold that we need big time

Advertisement
He will be a candidate to move on if we are successful with the remaining prospects.

Yeah? Really? Lets tell a Kid from Northwestern to move on because we found someone better. While we are at it, lets do it to Central and STA. debatable whether we did it to BTW last year and you see how that turned out.

You cats are beyond silly. So you're telling me with a straight face that if we are short on space we should pass on J.C. Jackson, Dixon, and a much needed JUCO DT to hang on to.....Ryan Mayes and Dennis Turner???? Seriously? These kids are average. Dixon and Jackson are playmakers. When did we start settling for projects? Have you all not seen how low rated projects turn out? Gaines, Armbrister, Cornelius, Highsmith, Rodgers, Cleveland, Pierre, Green, etc. Get the studs, if you can, and win championships. I'll be damned if we ought to be holding scholarships for developmental guys. In case you haven't noticed, those guys up in Tallahassee aren't wasting scholarships and neither is any championship contending program. Every once in a blue moon do you find an Ed Reed two star; however, the overwhelming majority of two and three star guys are JAGs. Those are the facts. You win big in college football with four and five star talent, PERIOD! With scholarship reductions pending, we don't have the luxury of taking projects, if we can get more proven high school quality athletes, take them and wish these lesser kids well. This is strictly business, nothing personal. What I am saying that is so egregious?

You cats are beyond silly. So you're telling me with a straight face that if we are short on space we should pass on J.C. Jackson, Dixon, and a much needed JUCO DT to hang on to.....Ryan Mayes and Dennis Turner????

The talent gap between Turner and Jackson isn't as wide as people think but your point is moot because we have enough space to take 5-6 more.

You cats are beyond silly. So you're telling me with a straight face that if we are short on space we should pass on J.C. Jackson, Dixon, and a much needed JUCO DT to hang on to.....Ryan Mayes and Dennis Turner???? Seriously? These kids are average. Dixon and Jackson are playmakers. When did we start settling for projects? Have you all not seen how low rated projects turn out? Gaines, Armbrister, Cornelius, Highsmith, Rodgers, Cleveland, Pierre, Green, etc. Get the studs, if you can, and win championships. I'll be damned if we ought to be holding scholarships for developmental guys. In case you haven't noticed, those guys up in Tallahassee aren't wasting scholarships and neither is any championship contending program. Every once in a blue moon do you find an Ed Reed two star; however, the overwhelming majority of two and three star guys are JAGs. Those are the facts. You win big in college football with four and five star talent, PERIOD! With scholarship reductions pending, we don't have the luxury of taking projects, if we can get more proven high school quality athletes, take them and wish these lesser kids well. This is strictly business, nothing personal. What I am saying that is so egregious?

Um, you do realize that Turner is currently on an ov at Toledo right?

Advertisement
You cats are beyond silly. So you're telling me with a straight face that if we are short on space we should pass on J.C. Jackson, Dixon, and a much needed JUCO DT to hang on to.....Ryan Mayes and Dennis Turner????

The talent gap between Turner and Jackson isn't as wide as people think but your point is moot because we have enough space to take 5-6 more.

???

Ok??

Ok??

You don't think that a UM commit visiting Toledo means that he knows he's not going to be in this class?

Yeah? Really? Lets tell a Kid from Northwestern to move on because we found someone better. While we are at it, lets do it to Central and STA. debatable whether we did it to BTW last year and you see how that turned out.

See how what turned out? Thomas, Jackson, and Bethel are from BTW and all committed to UM this year. It didn't do that much, lol. Kids get left out all of the time with other schools. Miami ain't gonna burn bridges based off of one recruit, yeezus.

Advertisement

lol. I love when our fans are suddenly making recruiting decisions and evaluations over the coaches.

If it was up to us fanboy Internet gurus, Miami would have never offered Russell Maryland, Mike Sullivan, Gino Torretta, Clinton Portis, and on and on and on. If it was as easy as recruiting stats it would be a simple job. But it's not. So have a little faith in a staff that inherited ****, have been recruiting under a cloud of probation for 3 years, and currently has one of the best classes in the country committed by anyone's standards.

But thanks for letting us know in advance who the jags are gonna be. Glad you want to roll with Willie Williams, Bryan Fortay, and Alan Hall.

We get the point, but got any modern examples? The guys you listed were a) not recruited by the staff here and b) not recruited in the internet era

While I agree that we have no idea how these guys will turn out, unearthing gems simply because we have iin the past doesn't mean any of these guys will turn out

We get the point, but got any modern examples? The guys you listed were a) not recruited by the staff here and b) not recruited in the internet era

While I agree that we have no idea how these guys will turn out, unearthing gems simply because we have in the past doesn't mean any of these guys will turn out

Exactly. Like it or not, in CFB, you win with four and five star kids, period. Who are our two best players? Duke Johnson and Tracy Howard, five star kids. Other prominent star players: D.Bush (before injury) four star, Burns (four star), Coley (four star). It is what is it, folks. Mayes and Turner may overachieve and become above average players on Saturdays, but the odds are against them.

See how what turned out? Thomas, Jackson, and Bethel are from BTW and all committed to UM this year. It didn't do that much, lol. Kids get left out all of the time with other schools. Miami ain't gonna burn bridges based off of one recruit, yeezus.

Why even take the chance? Have you heard of the kid taking other visits? Burning bridges based on one recruit happens all the time. All kinds of damage control had to be done last year and that was just based on a perception, so don't tell me "see how that turned out". It wasnt good. I am not saying it is going to happen or that the results are going to be bad, im just saying you better not make it a habit to ***** kids of feeder schools and Northwestern is a feeder school. Mayes has been unconditionally commited, was offered early in the process and commited, and is from a feeder school that has produced the best two players in S. Florida 2 out of the last 3 years in my opinion. Don't mess with it.

Advertisement
I didn;'t like his film at all. Most of his highlights were him failing to make a play on the ball.

Why even take the chance? Have you heard of the kid taking other visits? Burning bridges based on one recruit happens all the time. All kinds of damage control had to be done last year and that was just based on a perception, so don't tell me "see how that turned out". It wasnt good. I am not saying it is going to happen or that the results are going to be bad, im just saying you better not make it a habit to ***** kids of feeder schools and Northwestern is a feeder school. Mayes has been unconditionally commited, was offered early in the process and commited, and is from a feeder school that has produced the best two players in S. Florida 2 out of the last 3 years in my opinion. Don't mess with it.

Then why didn't we get Amari Cooper from Northwestern when Golden recruited the **** out of that kid? My point is, elite kids make their own decisions no matter what "feeder school" they're at. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Then why didn't we get Amari Cooper from Northwestern when Golden recruited the **** out of that kid? My point is, elite kids make their own decisions no matter what "feeder school" they're at. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Then why did Stacey Coley come because of the relationship we had with the head coach? Why did Collins not? I agree every I instance is different, but to say that relationship with the schools and its football staff doesn't help in some instances it's ridicolous. We'll just disagree.

Point 2 one elite level program that doesnt have recruits committed that are 3 stars or lower in any class?

It's a lot of lowly rated recruits in this class, u dont know how many of them are projects or not. Al Golden is always going to recruit lowly rated recruits anyway, that's what he does....

if he was a good head coach then after he evaluates these lowly rated "projects" and thinks they are good enough to earn a scholarship, he would know how to perform the next step which is to develop these guys..... a 5 star recruit in a bs program isnt going to develop into anything special either.

Al Golden isnt reaching b/c he's desperate he thinks these players deserve a Miami scholarship, so that means it's on him to turn them into legit Miami "caliber" players, if he fails at doing that it's not b/c the players arent good enough, it's b/c he's not good enough.

Advertisement
Back