ATH RYAN MAYES

datdude81

Junior
Has anyone seen him up close if so can they give a quick evaluation on him ...

He doesn't strike me as a real playmaker he had 25 tackles, one sack, one interception, two fumble recoveries, three pass breakups and one blocked extra point this year?

Advertisement
Not trying to be a ****, but being in the fortunate position of having a nearly full class, plus several more super studs who may/will come, do you really think the staff needs to reach on any recruit?

Bethel is more of a corner...Ryan mayes Safety, that plays both sides of the ball I would lhave just thought he would have been

used in multiple positions maxing out his ability...But hey I could be totally wrong...I have seen Bethel a few times as small as he is
he still holds it down from his corner position and not a lot of qbs try him...

Advertisement
Mayes has impressive size at around 6'0-6'1. He's got really long arms and has a wiry frame. One thing I like about Mayes is how physical he is with his size, he's really aggressive with every receiver and never backs down. He did get his fair share of penalties for this aggressiveness, but it's impressive how well he did transitioning from a safety to a corner for MNW.

Mayes has impressive size at around 6'0-6'1. He's got really long arms and has a wiry frame. One thing I like about Mayes is how physical he is with his size, he's really aggressive with every receiver and never backs down. He did get his fair share of penalties for this aggressiveness, but it's impressive how well he did transitioning from a safety to a corner for MNW.

Sounds like Northwestern really changed his game from a physicality standpoint as opposed to his previous school. Good!!

Advertisement
The question is - is Ryan Mayes going to be part of a secondary that shuts down a Kelvin Benjamen, Rashad Greene, etc. That needs to be the standard going forward, we are past the post-Shannon foundation re-build. IDK if he is or isn't, never seen him play and the highlight clips don't strike me as exceptional. I'd feel a lot better if someone came back from his game and said he looked like an elite athlete.

Would it help to know it didn't take long for the Miami staff to figure out he was the best athlete at the camp and offer?

The question is - is Ryan Mayes going to be part of a secondary that shuts down a Kelvin Benjamen, Rashad Greene, etc. That needs to be the standard going forward, we are past the post-Shannon foundation re-build. IDK if he is or isn't, never seen him play and the highlight clips don't strike me as exceptional. I'd feel a lot better if someone came back from his game and said he looked like an elite athlete.

That's exactly what I was getting at right there...

I am not sure if the "camp" recruits are always the best

We got Tuner from this years camp but we are still recruiting corners and safeties?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Turner is good but he would never play if we land Dixon.

Wasted ship as a WR and he is not a DB.

Advertisement
Back